It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duncan family playing the race card

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant
A few reason I can state as fact as to why he did not get this drug when he was first admitted is that pharmacies/hospitals never keep stock of drugs that are experimental. They have not been approved by the FDA, for one, second they are usually severely expensive. After they identify a drug that may work they have to find it, meaning they have to usually contact their middleman suppliers who then track it down at the source (manufacturer) then have it mailed or couriered all the while seeking official approval to use it in this manner.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Dallas HealthCare Worker Tests Positive for Ebola
There ya' go. Maybe the healthcare workers family should sue the family of patient zero. It's his fault that the healthcare worker is sick. If Duncuns family wants to talk lawsuits ... lets talk lawsuits ... starting with lawsuits against THEM. And the hospital can sue them for the $500,000 unpaid hospital bill too.

edit on 10/12/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
CNN Interview with Nephew - Including Hospital Responses to Alligations

the hospital said, "Our care team provided Mr. Duncan with the same high level of attention and are that would be given any patient, regardless of nationality or ability to pay for care." The hospital said: "We have a long history of treating a multicultural community in this area."

Why wasn't he immediately given an experimental drug? Because one wasn't available, the hospital explained.

Why didn't he get a blood transfusion, like other Ebola patients in the United States? Because "his blood type was not compatible with the serum donors."

The Nephew is complaining that he wanted the hospital to fly his uncle to Atlanta for treatment. Yeah ... and put all those hundreds of people at risk for catching it. Smart call on the part of the hospital to deny that request.

The bottom line is that patient zero isn't dead due to racism.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Not to mention, none of those other patients were transferred all over the US when the decision was made to bring them back to the states. They were taken to one hospital, and they stay there. Moving a critically ill patient is not advisable unless you can be sure you are going to be improving their level of care by taking them there.

In this case, the level of care wasn't going to improve. The only difference was the level of possible containment. The hospitals those other patients were transferred to from Africa (a country with next to no medical care) were hospitals with units set up to handle level-4 hazards.

So, the decision was made to leave Duncan where he was at FOR HIM not for the rest of us. It would have better for the rest of us to move him, but not any better for HIM.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Lets see he went to the hospital with a fever, I'm assuming he spoke. Was this the only hospital in the country not able to add 1 plus 1? High fever plus African somehow equaled sending him home with a prescription?

Arrrighty then!!!!!

I live in Chicago. Dallas is a big town too. LOTS of different people come into an ER on any given day. (it's gonna be a little hard for me to express what I am trying to say without seeming "callous")
Lets say on THIS particular day at the ER, the intake nurse had already screened 30 people.....Dallas is a large city and I believe, (from my days living in East Texas), that particular hospital Parkland, ( am a bit too lazy to look it up this Sunday am), is a pretty large hospital...so they probably get people from ALL OVER the world.....this RN has listened to 30 different stories from people who are sick....so this guy was from Africa, (She may have already seen 5 Africans that day...maybe a large community of Africans live near Parkland hospital).....and he had a fever and general symptoms.....Ebola is not on the forefront of this RN's mind...and probably not on the over worked ER doc's mind, (my father was an ER doc-toxocologist in El Paso, so I have heard a million stories from the ER from him).....and because of over-crowding, lack of insurance, (there's many a reason to send a patient home without admitting them), they sent this "patient zero" home with antibiotics.....yes, it was, in retrospect, a VERY bad idea....but do you know how many times people are sent home whilst in the middle of a HEART ATTACK? Even I have been sent home a couple of times from an ER visit, only to return a day later and be admitted into the hospital for a week with diverticulitis when I had just days before been told it was "IBS" or "gastroenteritis".
I guess I am trying, (though not very well), to explain that ER's (and a lot of other medical specialties), are overworked and the people staffing them are just regular people....they make mistakes.....So the guy said he was African...so he said he was from THAT part of Africa...(by the way....there are LOTS of Africans in MY city....and when I hear someone is from another country when I work them up...It hardly registers any longer....Chicago is an international city.....and so is Dallas.) He had a temperature....this IS flu season, after all.......
In MY book...and from what I have been reading, a lot of OTHER people's book.....it is TOTALLY 100% that Duncan guy's fault.....he should not have lied...he should have TOLD the staff that he had been in contact with a person with Ebola.....

and by the way...I WON'T feel bad about it...I HOPE JJ GETS EBOLA....then he can scream "RACISM" all he wants in hell......

but that is MY opinion

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Cornczech

im with you.
when you go to the er they treat you and send you on your way. they always tell you(and give you written instructions) that say return to the er immediately if symptoms worsen or do not go away

thats what they did and thats what happened.

ive been to the er and been told then and then returned within the next couple days.

this is 100% duncans fault.

lots of reasons why staff would not have suspected ebola...

now if he had said that he was just in the hot zone helping a lady with ebola and/or he thinks he may have contracted ebola it would have been a different story.
he went in with the lies though.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SourGrapes

What protocols were in place in the hospitals, before Mr. Duncan's case, that specifically said any and everyone who comes to the clinic or er with any sort of viral symptoms and has recently traveled to Liberia are to be considered to be infected with Ebola, until tested negative?

Before Mr. Duncan, the media may have been discussing ebola and showing where it is and the cdc was beginning to put policies in place and set up quarantine areas, just in case. But, Mr. Duncan was the VERY FIRST person that was diagnosed inside the United States with the virus. Unless the medical staff was given specific orders to treat all persons from Libera as if they had ebola (which, btw, could become a racist issue in itself), then how can they be held accountable for not treating him like he had ebola.

He stated that he recently traveled to Liberia. Did he tell them he may have ebola? Did he tell them he was exposed to ebola?

This is not a race issue. He was treated the same way anyone who walked into urgent care with the same symptoms would have been treated. Except, many people with the same symptoms are only assessed by a PA and don't even get in front of a real ER doctor. Duncan was seen by a real live Doctor. This doctor didn't even know to treat it as ebola, since it wasn't yet protocol.

Medical professionals are not fortune tellers. Now. NOW, the hospitals know to check for ebola, thanks to Mr. Duncan.

Just to clarify, the CDC did send out bulletins for all U.S. hospitals to be on the look-out for possible ebola cases BEFORE Duncan was ever in the U.S. There WERE protocols already put in place.

Healthcare providers should be alert for and evaluate suspected patients for Ebola virus infection who have both consistent symptoms and risk factors as follows: 1) Clinical criteria, which includes fever of greater than 38.6 degrees Celsius or 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit, and additional symptoms such as severe headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, or unexplained hemorrhage; AND 2) Epidemiologic risk factors within the past 3 weeks before the onset of symptoms, such as contact with blood or other body fluids of a patient known to have or suspected to have EVD; residence in—or travel to—an area where EVD transmission is active;

content.govdelivery.com...

The date of this bulletin is August 1. I didn't check, but it probably wasn't the first bulletin they sent out on this subject.

Now, do I think the hospital's treatment of Duncan had anything to do with him being black? Not at all. Do I think the hospital totally screwed up his first visit to the ER? Definitely. I don't think this is a case of discrimination, but I DO think it is a case of hospital malpractice.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Is it just me or is anyone else getting slightly annoyed at Jesse Jackson consistently getting involved in incidents where the 'race card' is played? Jackson isn't exactly as righteous as he makes himself out to be. I have yet to see a senior figure come out and tell Mr Jackson to mind his own business instead he is allowed to cause more issues than resolve them (if, indeed, there were any issues to resolve in the first place).
edit on 12-10-2014 by AnonymousTM because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join