It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Your Prayer Life Acceptable to God?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u
Haven't you in past posts stated you believe in a God?

Yes. And that has NOTHING to do with 'if you have enough faith then you'll get whatever you pray for'. That simply isn't true. Just because you have faith and you pray for something, that doesn't mean God is going to give it to you. I know LOTS of people who prayed for miracles and never got them. Good holy faithful loving people ... their prayers were met with silence from God. And no, it wasn't a lack of faith on their part or a 'you didn't pray long enough'. They prayed until the day they died. Prayed with faith. No miracles came.

Therefore, the bible quote is false.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

So what is your point? You base your beliefs on God by what Pat Robertson says?

Pat Robertson is a poor example to use and is well known about his own personal sins.

Pat Robertson is NOT a man of God..... he is an entertainer like most pastors on TV.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Holy smokes!!

Millionaire Pat Robertson Tells 80-Year-Old To Get A Job So She Can Keep Tithing

‘God, now I’ve been faithful to you. Now, I claim my blessing, and I ask you to open the windows of heaven and pour me out a blessing. Show me what you’re going to do, show me how I can move into blessing,’”

That's some seriously bad theology there. WOW. He's telling that 80 year old woman that her prayers and faith were like money in a bank that she was investing and now God owes her and she should be able to collect and get some $$$.

Prayers and faith are supposed to be freely given to God because He is deserving of them. They aren't supposed to be something that people think is like a bank account and that God owes you back with interest.

Bad bad theology.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
a reply to: ketsuko

No one shoved His spiritually arrogant, holier than thou, Theocratic fascist, followers down you throat except you. As YOU were the one who came into this thread. *Hint, Hint* If you dont' want God's spiritually arrogant, holier than thou, Theocratic fascist, followers shoved down your throat ... I will pray tonight that you suddenly develop the good sense to stop reading threads where you are likely to encounter them.

Are you kinda sorta saying he has a point?

:-)

Pray for me too sister

Kinda ? sorta? have a point?

I quote the prophets and Jesus Christ. These are not my words.

You take scripture and try to make it my point?

I will pray for you too! You are going to need it.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Haven't you in past posts stated you believe in a God?

Yes. And that has NOTHING to do with 'if you have enough faith then you'll get whatever you pray for'. That simply isn't true. Just because you have faith and you pray for something, that doesn't mean God is going to give it to you. I know LOTS of people who prayed for miracles and never got them. Good holy faithful loving people ... their prayers were met with silence from God. And no, it wasn't a lack of faith on their part or a 'you didn't pray long enough'. They prayed until the day they died. Prayed with faith. No miracles came.

Therefore, the bible quote is false.

Someone who believes in God and does not believe in God's word has no faith. Simply because you know a lot of people who have prayed and died does not make God's word null and void.

You speak as a disbeliever not as a child of God.

EDIT LATER: So what about the scriptures below - do you believe in them?

Psalms 145:18 - "The LORD is near to all who call upon Him, To all who call upon Him in truth."

Jeremiah 33:3 – ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

Matthew 7: 7-8 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

John 9:31 - Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
edit on 23-9-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
My opinion: God, if this MPB (Most perfect being) exists than it is most likely a parental figure to us humans. We, the humans, are like the middle aged man children living in God's basement. When you prey, ahem pray, you are taking the responsibility out of your own hands and passing it off to mommy and daddy. You are showing your parents that they have not raised a self sufficient adult, fully prepared to take on the world and reap all the positives and negatives it has to offer. When you pray you are no better than a mooch! Begging the all powerful, all knowing divine for __________(fill in the blank). That is not what your God wants to hear from you. If this God wants to see one attribute from you it's you trying to do it on your own. Have you ever once said, "you know what God, I got this one. Thanks but you can take it easy today."? Instead it's always "Please God give me strength" Or "Please God forgive", or the ever fancy "God if you just do this one thing for me i will ______ forever". I especially like the ol' fashioned "Hail Mary's" too. You really think this God character gets off to an eternity of inexorable, repetitious mumbling's of the same thing over and over!? Not my God...

I really don't think this God created everything and all of us just to hear everybody whine all the time about everything! God wants to see his kids move out of the house, quit being subservient butt holes, and start living "good" because it's good for the individual and for society. Not because of fear of retribution by said God. Not because you are afraid of Hell or eternal damnation, but because you genuinely want to be a better person. INTENT is applicable even when not camping...
I imagine if this God wanted to hear your petty earthling squabbles he would have left a way to get in contact with him. But God did not. So people sit alone and talk to themselves and teach their kids to do the same. I love meditation and positive thinking can go a long way. But prayer my friend, is for the birds.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

She's simply stating that faith does not always give you what you pray for...

God does not always answer prayers despite what the "good book" says...

Whatever that reason is... is HIS own, and not for our knowing, or understanding

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Someone who believes in God and does not believe in God's word has no faith.

Bottom line - the scripture quote is wrong. Stating that fact changes nothing in regards to believing in God. The mistake you are making is in assuming that the bible is the exact word of God and error free from one cover to the other. It obviously is not.

Simply because you know a lot of people who have prayed and died does not make God's word null and void.

That's not what I said. Try again -

- Lots of people FULL OF FAITH and trust and hope in God prayed and believed they'd get miracles. None came. Therefore, that scripture quote is dead wrong.

You speak as a disbeliever not as a child of God.

Again you make the mistake of thinking that someone has to buy into the bible being the word of God from one cover to the other in order to believe in God. That simply isn't true. And making deflective false statements at me changes none of the facts that prove me correct.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

EDIT LATER: So what about the scriptures below - do you believe in them?

Your quotes were all about hearing. God HEARS everyone ... good or bad or luke warm. He knows it all. But that doesn't mean He's going to answer the prayers and give people what they want simply because they are behaving themselves or because they believe in Him. People may ask for healing but God instead may give them something else because it's not HIS HOLY WILL that they be healed.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

You did not answer my question why not?

We both know why.

I will not let this go..... just like you do.

Please answer the question.

EDIT LATER: Do you believe the scriptures I put in the last post?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

You did not answer my question why not?.

You'll have to restate your question. I'm not seeing a missed question.

EDIT LATER: Do you believe the scriptures I put in the last post?

Read the post. I already answered that. Your quotes had to do with God hearing peoples prayers. I said very clearly ... God hears ALL prayers so those are correct. He knows everything. That doesn't mean He's going to answer them all in a way the person praying wants just because they believe in Him. Obviously that doesn't happen.

edit on 9/23/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Dont forget about 1 John 1:9.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Today, many prayers go no further than the church ceiling simply because we refuse to confess our active sins to God, which effectively puts most of the Church in a spiritual coma. We are all priests representing ourselves before God. Confession of sin is a priestly rite, we need to make good use of it. I would say that it should be obvious not to address God with unresolved sins.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You did not answer my question why not?.

You'll have to restate your question. I'm not seeing a missed question.

Matthew 21:22 you do not believe ... OK but what about this quote:

Matthew 7: 7-8 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8 "For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

Again Christ says ask and it will be given to you.

BTW there are many many more...... do you plan to deny all of them?

EDIT LATER: We can also do this for Mark, Luke and John ......

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

Dont forget about 1 John 1:9.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Today, many prayers go no further than the church ceiling simply because we refuse to confess our active sins to God, which effectively puts most of the Church in a spiritual coma. We are all priests representing ourselves before God. Confession of sin is a priestly rite, we need to make good use of it. I would say that it should be obvious not to address God with unresolved sins.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

If you have sin on you ..... even sins that are unknown they are still sins.......your prayers will always go unanswered.

EDIT LATER: Many people fail to ask God to reveal to them their sins..... and then they can NOT hear God's voice when HE tells them. End result.....lack of faith.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Matthew 21:22 you do not believe ...

Because it's been proven not to be true.

This is all speaking about SPIRITUAL matters. Not organic ones. I suggest you read what St. Teresa of Avila has to say on the matter. The Carmelite saints of old. They understood this very well. Ask for spiritual help, knock looking for spiritual growth ... it comes. But don't sit there thinking that because you have faith God 'knock on the door for a cancer cure miracle' that it is going to instantly get rid of your cancer .. it doesn't work that way.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

If you have sin on you ..... even sins that are unknown they are still sins.......your prayers will always go unanswered.

And that, once again, proves that 'if you have enough faith and ask for it then God will give it to you' is just dead wrong. NO ONE is sin free. Not a single person. And if it takes being sin free to get the 'whatever you ask for' from God ... then it can't happen.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Matthew 21:22 you do not believe ...

Because it's been proven not to be true.

This is all speaking about SPIRITUAL matters. Not organic ones. I suggest you read what St. Teresa of Avila has to say on the matter. The Carmelite saints of old. They understood this very well. Ask for spiritual help, knock looking for spiritual growth ... it comes. But don't sit there thinking that because you have faith God 'knock on the door for a cancer cure miracle' that it is going to instantly get rid of your cancer .. it doesn't work that way.

God is spirit did you not know that? And you have misinterpeted the quote anyway; then you quote outside the Bible...... sorry this thread started with the Bible. I don't need to add to from another source ..... in this case...... the Bible stands alone.

I see you are reaching for straws. Your argument is weak. No further reason discussing this with you, is there?

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

And that, once again, proves that 'if you have enough faith and ask for it then God will give it to you' is just dead wrong. NO ONE is sin free. Not a single person. And if it takes being sin free to get the 'whatever you ask for' from God ... then it can't happen.

You need to reread the Bible. I see the problem ...... I think...... this is why there are Bible study classes ..... the one who possesses the Holy Spirit teaches as the student prays to receive the truth. AND I believe you have attended this classes but not all the way through both OT and NT. I believe you might have read the entire Bible but have not fully understood it..... same with me.... I too have a some issues with a FEW versus's but that is NO reason to doubt the word of God.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

God is spirit did you not know that?

No kidding ....

And you have misinterpeted the quote anyway;

Nope.

then you quote outside the Bible......

'Cuz not all truth is contained in the bible. The bible even says so.

The thread is 'Is your prayer life acceptable to God?'
Answer - yes mine is.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

She's simply stating that faith does not always give you what you pray for...

God does not always answer prayers despite what the "good book" says...

Whatever that reason is... is HIS own, and not for our knowing, or understanding

God ALWAYS answers prayers...... most can not hear the answer.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join