It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia targets the Baltic states, NATO warns Russia (round 2)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Russia once again dragged out the "ethnic Russian" excuse to threaten the Baltic states -

Russia Warns Of “Unfortunate Consequences” Over Ethnic Tension In Baltic States

A Russian official has warned that alleged discrimination against Russian-speaking minorities in the Baltic states “may have far-reaching, unfortunate consequences,” fueling jitters that Moscow may seek to stoke tensions there as the Ukrainian crisis continues to fester.

Konstantin Dolgov, the Russian foreign ministry’s human rights ombudsman, told a conference in the Latvian capital of Riga on Saturday that “entire segments of the Russian World” were struggling to uphold their human rights, according to a transcript published on the ministry’s website on Monday. “One of the obvious and, perhaps, key reasons for this state of affairs is the ceaseless growth of xenophobic and neo-Nazi sentiments in the world [and] their subsequent deep penetration into the consciousness of the political establishment in a whole array of foreign governments,” Dolgov said.

The timing and tone of his speech suggest Russia’s growing willingness to use ethnic groups abroad as a political wedge. President Vladimir Putin has spoken frequently of his vision of a broader Russian-speaking federation in recent years and reserved the right to protect Russian speakers with military force after Russian troops annexed Crimea in March.

Click link for remainder of article...

It looks like they are dragging out the Nazi labels as well, just like they did for their invasion of Ukraine.

NATO Chief Warns Moscow: No More Stealth Invasions

Russia is now threatening NATO allies in the Baltics. If Moscow tries another invasion of commandos and spies, the alliance is prepared to act, NATO's top general said.

On Monday, NATO Commander Gen. Philip Breedlove had a not-so-subtle message for Russia: it will consider stealth and unofficial invasions to be a trigger for war.

Europe knows these stealth invasions all too well. Russia first sent teams of special operations forces wearing uniforms without insignia in February into Crimea and then later into eastern Ukraine to work with Russian minorities inside the country to begin an insurrection. Ukraine’s military has been fighting these “little green men” ever since. But until recently, Russia has not even acknowledged sending anyone into the country.

Breedlove, speaking at the Atlantic Council on Monday, said if the Kremlin tried that in one of the NATO allies that border Russia—like the former Soviet republics in the Batlics, for example—it would risk triggering Article Five of NATO’s charter which is the section that calls on the alliance to come to the defense of a member state being attacked.

It’s hardly a hypothetical issue. Over the weekend, a Russian foreign ministry official said violations of the rights of Russian speakers in the Baltic states would have “far reaching, unfortunate” consequences, according to a report in Buzzfeed. The message was seen as a threat from Moscow to meddle further in the internal affairs of the three states that were once part of the Soviet Union.

“We have to look at those forces in our border nations where there are substantial Russian populations and how do we better prepare this initial onslaught of this hybrid war,” he Breedlove said. “How do we better prepare our allies to characterize, understand and survive the initial onslaught of the little green men scenario?”

While this issue first came about at the start of the Ukraine mess, it apparently is being raised again, with both articles containing information from just this month.

We have renewed fighting in Ukraine by rebels violating the cease fire. We have the abduction of the Estonian officer. We have, once again, Russia threatening the Baltic States, going back to the original excuse of "ethnic Russians" in danger.

It looks like Russia is using its diplomatic presence in these countries to recruit people to fight in Ukraine.

Then there is Moldova -

Russia watchers have been warning since the spring that Moldova could be Putin’s next target. With already 2,500 peacekeepers stationed in the breakaway Moldovan province of Transnistria, Russia has a natural base of operations from which to begin destabilize the country’s pro-Western government.

There is absolutely no rationale justification for Putin to be acting in the manner he is.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Its more of the same, this # has been going on since humans figured out how to do it. All as bad as each other IMO. Its the people who just want to live their lives in peace who suffer, and the warmongers who profit.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I think Russia is counting on US/NATO backing down with everything else going on. But if the various Arab states step up to the plate to take on ISIS/ISIL/IS then it frees forces to go elsewhere. Which I'm sure Putin doesn't want.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

I think Russia is counting on US/NATO backing down with everything else going on. But if the various Arab states step up to the plate to take on ISIS/ISIL/IS then it frees forces to go elsewhere. Which I'm sure Putin doesn't want.

I dunno....

We already stated military force would not be used in Ukraine so there is really no bluff to call on that one. Going after the Baltic states, on the other hand, is not something you challenge by thinking NATO is bluffing about protecting its members.

As for ISIS they have already made statements threatening Russia / Putin. They apparently are not happy about Russian occupation of areas like Chechnya and some of the other kerplakistan countries with large muslim populations.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Haven't Russia and America been fighting since the dawn of day.
They will keep on fighting.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: spazze
Haven't Russia and America been fighting since the dawn of day.
They will keep on fighting.

Not that I know of.

The US and Russia have never had a war against each other.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

There is absolutely no rationale justification for Putin to be acting in the manner he is.

Sure there is…he’s KGB! He wants to take over the entire world beginning with the eastern bloc and continuing to Europe! 52% of Russia’s state budget comes from oil, and Europe is its #1 customer. This is monopoly on a grand scale and our POTUS has his thumb up his arse and is sitting on the back bench!

America always gets called out about "wars for oil" but everyone pretends Russia and others aren't doing the same thing?

edit on 15-9-2014 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Hmm...
Feels like they have been threatning each other for a while, this whole Ukraine things have been going on for ages it feels like.

I don't know their history with america.

We'll just have to wait and see when the bombs will fall.

I live inEurope and I can say... the military flight jets keeps on flying very often, I never used to hear them but since Nato and all of that, it has increased.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seabag

All the US has to do is release our SPR to drive down the price of gas. Our reserves would allow for about 2 full years of disruption. While Russia makes its money in that area, it only does so when prices remain above certain levels (same with Iran).

The latest sanctions against Russia prohibit Russian from obtaining advanced tech from the west. It has put a kink in the gears of Russia trying to upgrade its oil and gas sectors.

Putins actions very much remind me of Hitlers in regards to jumping the gun and acting rather than waiting to ensure they have the capabilities in place.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: spazze

Threatening - yes.

From the end of WWII to the present the USSR / Russia and US have been at odds. I guess we could go down the road of proxy wars during the cold war but no direct action against each other.

I always found it goofy that we think of Russia as a European nation on the other side of the globe when in fact Russia and the US share a border.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

I like this version a bit more...

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Russia and every other bad player in the world know that they will never have a US President less willing to confront them than now. The final 2 years of his presidency is the window that they have and they most likely will take advantage of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

Russia and every other bad player in the world know that they will never have a US President less willing to confront them than now. The final 2 years of his presidency is the window that they have and they most likely will take advantage of it.

Sadly I agree...

The flip side to that coin would be why now and not 6 years ago when he took office?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seabag

What does him being a ex-KGB has anything to do with it? G.B Senior was the head of CIA before he became President of the U.S. He started a war ok, BUT then we have like every other damn Presidents who also started a war who had no connection to any intelligence agency. Like the current POTUS you have, he has now started 3 wars since he stepped up to the job.

Being an ex-KGB, especially a paper-pushing ex-KGB, has nothing to do with this.

Allthough I do agree with you on the other points that russia has no more right than anyone else to do what they currently do.

However, I can see why Russia as a superpower are doing what they do. The west is crawling creepy near Russias border and "threatning" Russia by putting NATO bases all along the border.

If I was the leader of a superpower (meaning I would also be a puppet for some dudes in the background) I would probably act in the same way, and so would you.

I dont think fighting and war solves anything. And if you belive that russia has to pay with blood, then I´m afraid you are just as bad as the men who start the wars.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nettlas

There were no NATO troops deployed to NATO nations that directly border Russia.
There were no NATO bases inside NATO countries that directly border Russia.

Only after Russia invaded Ukraine did NATO decide to change that status.

Everything Putin has been complaining about has been created because of Putin's actions. They are reacting to Putin, not Putin reacting to NATO.

Secondly the argument about close to Russia is bunk. If we used that logic then the US is justified invading Cuba. The countries that directly border Russia are sovereign nations and can run their internal affairs as they see fit. Russia does not get an automatic say simply because of Putin's paranoia.

How are the 3 Baltic states a danger to Russia when they don't even have their own air-force?
Russia on the other hand is a threat to those 3 Baltic nations.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I see this as more cards to ad to the negotiating table. We will stop messing with the Baltic States in excange for X. We will stop supplying the rebels in exchange for X, we will pull Russian troops out of Ukraine in exchang for X. Traditionaly the US has not done anything while Russia messed about in former Soviet Republics. That history is most likelly why Putin though that he could mess about in Ukraine and expect no reaction from the US/West. This time he was wrong. Now the narrative has changes and Russian can expect to countered anywhere it starts trouble in particular a NATO state. Oddly enough Obama has been the first US President to make any sort of stand in regards to Russia actions. Russia invasion of Georgia was met with only a slight response from the US. Granted Bush Jr had burned all his bridges internationaly so getting a West united to do something would not be possible and at home Bushs wars had pretty much ruined any chance of the US doing anything.

One has to wonder if Bush Jr. had not foolishy invaded Iraq and still had the international and political capital he needed when Russia invaded Georgia if Russia could have been dealt with then.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'm pretty much on Russia's side and see the US as ISIL right now. They don't really have much to warn about.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

One has to wonder if Bush Jr. had not foolishy invaded Iraq and still had the international and political capital he needed when Russia invaded Georgia if Russia could have been dealt with then.

More than likely, but it would come with a large loss for both sides.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Anyone interested in what was actual written, here`s the English translation for a bit of perspective :

Link

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
Anyone interested in what was actual written, here`s the English translation for a bit of perspective :

Link

Huh.. I see they moved from "Ethnic Russian" to "Russian speaking". To demand the Russian language be used in a country that is not Russia is hypocritical considering Russia just changed their internal laws on language requirements to do exactly what they complain about in other nations.

As for the Nazi comments - they used the same for Ukraine, even when it was not true.

Russia also seems to either be oblivious or willingly ignorant of the fact that of all the Neo Nazi groups worldwide (approx 70k members), more than half reside in Russia.

All this does is to further serve as evidence of just how out of touch Russia / Putin is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join