It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAKE Battery Hack...Do Not Attempt This at Home!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The videos say gagfilms in big letters at the beginning. How does one simply believe what they see on the internet and not back check before trying?

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Yeah, I was looking for this when it came up:

I can say that this works with all certainty. Just finished charging.

Peace

DONT DO IT !!!!!

Where to start!!! OMG!!!!!
1. The usb data cable that all phones are supplied with will charge your phone from the pc, there is no need to cut up the cable!!!

2. Serious risk of blowing the pc power supply or the 5 volt rail if the two ends were to touch.

3. Serious risk of battery catching fire! By connecting directly to the battery there is no charge control! A greatly reduced battery life will result.

Also, a very depleted battery may be enough to blow the pc's 5 volt rail as a very depleted battery acts much like a short circuit.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Yeah, I was looking for this when it came up:

I can say that this works with all certainty. Just finished charging.

Peace

DONT DO IT !!!!!

Where to start!!! OMG!!!!!
1. The usb data cable that all phones are supplied with will charge your phone from the pc, there is no need to cut up the cable!!!

2. Serious risk of blowing the pc power supply or the 5 volt rail if the two ends were to touch.

3. Serious risk of battery catching fire! By connecting directly to the battery there is no charge control! A greatly reduced battery life will result.

Also, a very depleted battery may be enough to blow the pc's 5 volt rail as a very depleted battery acts much like a short circuit.

Too late...

My charge port is screwed so I had to find a quick fix.

I'm ok, no fire. Worked ok.

Tomorrow off to Future shop I guess.

Thanx for the concern as well. VH.

Peace

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I do a lot of electrical jiggery pokery with my pc's, I'm always messing with something!
On one occasion I destroyed a mother board when the two ends of a usb cable (like we see in the vid) touched a metal tray, on another occasion, the two ends touched each other and destroyed all the usb ports on a motherboard.
Be VERY careful with those wires!

If the battery that you're charging is a LiPoly type, be careful. Too much charge, or even being run too low can destroy them, and they really do have a habit of catching fire when abused. Dont ever leave it unattended when charging via that....dodgy usb cable

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Li-Po's can explode if incorrectly charged, you have to use a proper Li-Po charger to make sure it cuts off at the right point.

They are really good, excellent recharge times and can dump their charge quickly which makes for compact and powerful batterys for high power motors - but with that comes the difficulty with recharging hence the specific equipment, they are some what unforgiving compared to older types.

Definitely wouldnt attempt to jury rig a charge on a Li-Po with USB or any other non specific power source.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I decided to take the great advice of you folks and not keep rigging a charge for my cell...So I go to get it repaired.

Cost? $69 for the power port to be replaced. One week service time. I asked about buying the port to do it myself but that would take an order period. Not wanting to risk my PC or a battery fire I had to look for another answer.

Found one!

New and better phone? $79 and 5 minutes to purchase.

Change the SIM and done.

$10 difference? What do you think I did?

I threw my cell away 4 yrs ago and just got this one for business. Still hate it. It's a burner so that's ok I guess.

Peace

edit on 13-9-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
a reply to: VoidHawk

Li-Po's can explode if incorrectly charged, you have to use a proper Li-Po charger to make sure it cuts off at the right point.

They are really good, excellent recharge times and can dump their charge quickly which makes for compact and powerful batterys for high power motors - but with that comes the difficulty with recharging hence the specific equipment, they are some what unforgiving compared to older types.

Definitely wouldnt attempt to jury rig a charge on a Li-Po with USB or any other non specific power source.

Tell me about it!!! LOL
I use Li-Po's in my RC helicopters, and because of the risks of fire and explosion I keep them all in a metal tin that cant catch fire. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I read that the type I use in my copters have the same energy potential as a stick of dynamite!

They are really good, excellent recharge times and can dump their charge quickly which makes for compact and powerful batterys for high power motors
Truly amazing devices! The type I use in my copters are about the size of a snickers bar, and they run for ten minutes at 28 amps! Thats an incredible amount of power for such a small battery.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I decided to take the great advice of you folks and not keep rigging a charge for my cell...So I go to get it repaired.

Cost? $69 for the power port to be replaced. One week service time. I asked about buying the port to do it myself but that would take an order period. Not wanting to risk my PC or a battery fire I had to look for another answer.

Found one!

New and better phone? $79 and 5 minutes to purchase.

Change the SIM and done.

$10 difference? What do you think I did?

I threw my cell away 4 yrs ago and just got this one for business. Still hate it. It's a burner so that's ok I guess.

Peace

New phone

I used to make a little cash on the side by doing small item (electrical) repairs, but these days its just as cheap for people to go by a new device. About the only thing left that people want repaired are laptops, but even they have become so cheap most people dump the old one and buy another. We live in a throw away world!

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Actually, I have tried taking dead batteries appart after seeing this video a while back. it IS true that larger batteries contain smaller ones but not as stated...

I have openned a 9V battery (the ones you would put in a smoke detector) and there were 6 (or 8 cant remember) AAA batteries but they were a little bit smaller than AAA. same with the one in this viceo, AAs but a bit smaller (they say you can fill the little gap with tim foil but I would not do that in my devices unless it was a must!)

I openned a AA Battery and there was a bunch of stacked small watch type batteries

Unsure if they could charge a phone but there is in fact multiple batteries inside the larger ones.

if you do wanna try it, be really carefull when prying open the battery as the metal casing is really sharp and you could cut yourself!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join