It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Educated Countries in the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

According to data recently released by the Organization for Co-operation and Development (OECD), more than half of Russian adults held tertiary degrees in 2012 -- the equivalent of college degree in the United States -- more than in any other country reviewed. Meanwhile, less than 4% of Chinese adults had tertiary qualifications in 2012, less than in any other country. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the 10 countries with the highest proportion of adults holding a college degree.

Yahoo Finance News

You have to click the link to get the full article and information, it's too much to post here.

I don't know if the formulas they've used to calculate this hold water, but I can tell you one thing, education in the United States must decrease in dollars and cents to make any sense. There's no reason we need to be spending double than the average and not be #1.

I can't speak for the actual education received by the top countries but I would hope the U.S. is up there, as it seams like it. It shocks me that Russia is #1.
edit on 9/11/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Interesting find,
Not sure that it means anything really. But still interesting.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

CANADA #2!

Me so smarrt...

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Student debt in America is crippling. A college education may be a good investment if you seek a higher salary, but the article is correct. It is a burden.

It's interesting Russia has spent less per student than the other countries. Yet, they're at the top of the list.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Student debt in America is crippling. A college education may be a good investment if you seek a higher salary, but the article is correct. It is a burden.

It's interesting Russia has spent less per student than the other countries. Yet, they're at the top of the list.

It may be that young Russians Don't have a sense of entitlement and know they have to work harder than anyone else.

Peace

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

CANADA #2!

Me so smarrt...

Peace

You should move first to Asia to get that title.

Top 10 Countries by Highest Average IQ

Source
edit on 11-9-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Modern Americans have a huge sense of entitlement, especially the young adults. And education in America has become mediocre and intrusive.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

a reply to: jude11

Modern Americans have a huge sense of entitlement, especially the young adults. And education in America has become mediocre and intrusive.

It's become hard to save enough money to pay for even half an education here in the U.S. out of pocket. Then you work the next 10 years of your life to pay your school loans off. It's a no win.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Also the curriculum at your average US college is mostly filler. Most of the students there know it but still are in the mindset that extra debt pays off.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Also the curriculum at your average US college is mostly filler. Most of the students there know it but still are in the mindset that extra debt pays off.

I went to a CC then to a larger school that accepted the credits because they had an agreement or something. But, yea, most of the money spent is on classes that have nothing to do with your major because they want you to have a "Well rounded education". I don't know if it helps or not to have that but I haven't heard any rumblings of it being changed.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The American universities and colleges charge such high fees so that they can offer the best resources in the world to their staff. Traditionally, that was why so many British professors would move abroad and Britain had the "brain drain".

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
The American universities and colleges charge such high fees so that they can offer the best resources in the world to their staff. Traditionally, that was why so many British professors would move abroad and Britain had the "brain drain".

True, every college I've been to had some of the most up-to-date technology accessible to both students and staff. I could sign out brand new computers every day, cameras, whatever I needed for classes.
edit on 9/11/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I care so much that I'm turning on my xbox.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth
I care so much that I'm turning on my xbox.

Xbox is so 2001

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

It's a 360, I'm pretty much a PC gamer nowadays but I still fire her up once in awhile. My original xbox now thats a different story. I'm pretty sure it's under the couch in my parents basement possibly next to a few decade old nudie mags.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
It has nothing to do with entitlement. Part of it was already addressed which is filler. In the US colleges add a lot of filler to their classes. When I got my Associates Degrees I triple majored, the reason is that with two majors complete I had so much coursework done thanks to the filler that I was able to complete a third program with just one additional semester.

We're very inefficient about things, but it goes beyond that. Colleges have an incentive to be inefficient, thanks to our student loan program which basically pushes "free" money onto students, colleges have to find more and more ways to make use of that money by justifying higher tuition. If we made colleges directly offer loans themselves rather than coming from the government the colleges would have to actually compete on price and loan terms. Furthermore if we went back to removing bankruptcy protections colleges would have an incentive to make sure their graduates can earn enough to repay the loan.

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Deep Earth is apparently the most educated such as Agartha

posted on Sep, 23 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
That list shows nothing but that to get higher education in Russia is easy. If you search how many of the population speak English you will see they don't speak English. So how come they are so educated and don't speak international language?

posted on Sep, 24 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Our universities here in Australia are going down the "American" path with more filler. I went back to finish a degree I started a decade ago (I got a good job before I graduated so I was only a few units away), they had removed most of the 3rd year practical units and "upgraded" some second year units to 3rd year--then they made a f#n cooking class a compulsary 3rd year unit!!. Cooking? WTF???? This is meant to be a research institution!!!

I was that shocked and appauled I changed into a Bachelor of Laws. I sware that Law and Vet Science are the only REAL degrees at my uni now.

top topics

join