It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we entering a new era of music?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Ive thought about this a lot recently, listening to the radio here in London.
I noticed last year something just inexplicably felt different about the music i was hearing.
In this thread im hoping we can dicuss and submit track by track new music vidoes and songs that particularly stand out, either lyrically or stylistically as being part of some new trend or "new era" from over the past 24 months plus of new music.

Here are some examples of what i mean. (Please feel free to add your own).

"Radioactive" was first sent to radio on April 2, 2012[1] and again on October 29, 2012.[2] Musically, "Radioactive" is an alternative rock song with elements ofelectronic rock and dubstep, while containing cryptic lyrics of apocalyptic and revolutionist themes.
Wikipedia

As you can see the past 24 months seem to have been asbolutely crazy in terms of new music.
I look forward to hearing your contributons, and thoughts / feelings / experiences of this new era.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It all sound pop to me, and poop i mean pop is always changing, look at early Britney vs current britney songs or anything over 2 decades, all change from year to year, specially pop that copy each other all the time

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
As long as I have my metal, punk, rockablilly and Irish Folk I could not care less how mainstream music changes.

I really dislike mainstream music. I think it has gotten progressively worse throughout the years.

I do not see it changing anytime soon.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Marketing pop music is a science perfected by A&R guys in the 70s. If music changes it's because the labels want it to change.

HST nailed it best when he said....

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

Imagine Dragons is so inspiring, and I don't see any of the subliminal self-destructive messaging in their stuff that you get with so many other artists. Were I an optimist, I might actually see them as resonant to my own frequency. lol, using the terminology of the modern age of course.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

All music is fundamentally the same, just wrapped up in different paper. I don't see/hear anything revolutionary about any of the examples provided. Just sounds like regular over produced pop...which is fine, but nothing to go waving the white flag over.

With that being said, here is what I am currently listening to:

edit on 11-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
It all sound pop to me, and poop i mean pop is always changing, look at early Britney vs current britney songs or anything over 2 decades, all change from year to year, specially pop that copy each other all the time

Its not just "pop". I think " pop" popped a long time ago.

I selected a few songs that stand out as particularly noticeable in having some kind of infleunce on the music scene as whole. These genres are collectively popularly, yes, but i dont think you could say its all pop. And with something being so popular, it's hard to ignore it when its affecting lots of people in society. Isnt the mantra of this website "deny igorance"?

Its the lyircal content im troubled by & the symbolism seems to be dramatically increasing in this period thats what im also hoping to expose in this thread.

For example check out the illuminati symbolism in the graphiti on the wall in this video:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Want alternative?....

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I have to agree with Indigent.

It's hard to call off the shelf popular music particularly new or different. All of the songs you posted have a simulcrum in some other popular song from the last 40 years. Some of them are good songs, such as Lorde - Royals, but the majority are cookie cutter fairy floss, that were likely written by one of a few song writers writing the majority of the music you hear on the radio. For instance Miley doesn't write her own songs, she pays a popular songwriter that actually knows composition and arrangement, at best with some input to capture her particular "image"... and all of them get pumped through a music factory of producers that use standard techniques that give a similar quality to all popular music.

Take Adele - Rolling in the Deep... in terms of style, tone and tempo it sounds very similar to Mobi from over a decade ago.

On the surface they may sound different, but every song you posted is in a 4/4 time signature, use similar chord progressions, are in a single key with no key changes throughout and have similar beats underlying them. Slight differences in tone, tempo and melodic lines is what makes them "sound" somewhat different, but in terms of underlying music theory there is no difference to them at all.

Even the SBTRKT song, which has some interesting techniques being used has it's roots over 40 years ago with artists such as George Clinton with P-Funk. It really just sounds like sanitised funk.

The only new era in music I see at the moment is a monopoly of mass produced tripe.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
For instance Miley doesn't write her own songs, she pays a popular songwriter that actually knows composition and arrangement, at best with some input to capture her particular "image"... and all of them get pumped through a music factory of producers that use standard techniques that give a similar quality to all popular music.

Exactly, it may be all made from the same cookie cutter so to speak, but i think theyre tampering the cookie cutter of modern music, for a social experiment, or psyoperation.
Call me paranoid, but ... that's what im hearing...
The music industry has undergone major upheaval in the past 10 years due to the internet. It just feels like they're really up to something now.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Most of the music on the radio today gives me flashbacks to the school bus rides I had back in the 80s. This makes me want to run away screaming!
Thank goodness grunge put a boot on the neck of the 80's.
Fortunately there is the internet and I don't have to listen to the top forty garbage.
edit on 11-9-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling sorry

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I know how you feel, i was born in the 90s and i still felt last year like woah, this feels like the 80s!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I think you have to look at it in two parts: The structure of the music itself, and the messaging. As far as the structure, we're in this really interesting time where we are starting to integrate organic music with what used to be called techno. The Imagine Dragons does that well, even in its video integrating the gritty reality with CGI. This is important, because of the deep way music effects our brains: Humans are trying to figure out how to integrate with tech, and there is a magic to beauty - music that does it can show us the way.

As far as the messaging, honestly if I could do one thing for these songwriters, I would unplug send them to something like a musical monastery for several months, with everything they could want except external connectivity, and see what they come back with. They are too shaped by the popular culture, which at this point is just recycling BS. They need to learn to go up the mountain and come back with something inspired and new IMHO, its always people who have done that in some way that end up shaping what's popular.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
OP: Those are more like commercials than music.
edit on 9111414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

And what do you feel after nearly 5 minutes of listening to that same lyric on repeat for nearly 5 whole minutes?
To me it becomes senseless pretty quickly... no offence.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue

That has been going on for a very long time. But today the technology has overshadowed the organic which is the essential part. That is why it sounds so sterile and lifeless.
This is the Post-Music era. Everything has been done. The pinnacle was reached many years ago. The wave crashed and rolled back.
Always look to the underground/local/independent artists to find the good stuff.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

We are moving from more of a rap mainstream to a more EDM mainstream. That's why you see some rap artists moving over to EDM. Also, Country Music is moving along and being played a lot more often than it has.

Here are some examples:

Songs like these are being played in more places around where I live, Philly, especially in large venues like xFinity Live. Rap music has be cast to the side because there always seems to be trouble wherever it is played around Philly and music like this is more of a fun, party type music. You'd be surprised to know that oldies are played often in some venues too, being mixed in with the DJ sets.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It just feels like they're really up to something now.

Who is "they"?
You cant say 'the music industry', thats implying hundreds of record labels and managment are commiting some big conspiracy.Which they're not.
Just because a tiny amount of video's have a pyramid or some illuminati symbolism in its video, does not mean a damn thing.
Its you that is changing, not the music industry

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

As you can see the past 24 months seem to have been asbolutely crazy in terms of new music.
I look forward to hearing your contributons, and thoughts / feelings / experiences of this new era.

i dont see that at all. at least not with the 'popular' music.... most of it blows like it has for years. adele and lorde are nice but im not so sure about the others.
i like jay z too but what is so different about the songs you posted?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue
Yes!
Heres what im hearing in the radio right now (bbc radio 1):
A lot of diversity

m.soundcloud.com...
Loyle Carner - Money (im jist tryna make some money for my fam, damn.. Clap)

What do you here people think of Trap music?
I like it personally. To me it sounds proper ghetto, none of that studio gangster business. "Cash money" and all that. Slave music striving for a better life, in an age when philanthropy is overshadowed by a gargantuan military industrial comlplex, and an increasongly militarised and inhumane police culture

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join