It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we entering a new era of music?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
a reply to: tridentblue

This is the Post-Music era. Everything has been done.

cant disagree more....
there are infinite possibilities out there still.....

you saying there will never be a new or fresh sound? no more innovation will happen?

i think youre wrong about that. youre just not gonna find it in the top 100

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

That's the nature of pop music. It's catchy and redundant. It is designed to make money and be cookie cutter "edgy". It's not for everyone, it's simply for the "majority".

There is a plethora of music out there that isn't top 40. Jango, Pandora, and Youtube are great sources for branching out.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

It just feels like they're really up to something now.

Who is "they"?
[quoye]You cant say 'the music industry', thats implying hundreds of record labels and managment are commiting some big conspiracy.Which they're not.
Just because a tiny amount of video's have a pyramid or some illuminati symbolism in its video, does not mean a damn thing.
Its you that is changing, not the music industry

It's hard to call off the shelf popular music particularly new or different. All of the songs you posted have a simulcrum in some other popular song from the last 40 years. Some of them are good songs, such as Lorde - Royals, but the majority are cookie cutter fairy floss, that were likely written by one of a few song writers writing the majority of the music you hear on the radio. For instance Miley doesn't write her own songs, she pays a popular songwriter that actually knows composition and arrangement, at best with some input to capture her particular "image"... and all of them get pumped through a music factory of producers that use standard techniques that give a similar quality to all popular music.

Its a well known fact that there are producers who have controlled popular music in an almost factory line manner for decades.

As Phoenix pointed out they have a cookie cutter like record production process using the same song writers and producers for mainstream singers (who most of the time cant even sing, eg britney et al) and thats why all the music sounds the same.
So my " they " applied to them.

edit on 11-9-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
To get a new era in music there needs to be a new development somehow.
Like the guitar changed to the electrical guitar
Like the 70s electronic changed to 80s synthesizer to pure 90s electronic music that is fused with and or incorparated into 21st century popmusic..

New era is a big statement. New trends are needed to fulfill the wishes of puberty claiming its own territory in society.

Why is this music thread only based on English music. NoNo one cares about Latin, Slavic or Asian based music? (Of course only the pop will somehow get noticed by mainstream.
edit on 11-9-2014 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

edit on 11-9-2014 by Dumbass because: screwed up editing prev post

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Fine.

Here are some Nepalese pop songs, eat your harrt out:

edit on 11-9-2014 by OrphanApology because: are

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Lol well you can always pick the bad ones out.

But I will take a Mala Rodriguez over a Britney Spears anytime

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Wait, as a girlfriend or singer?

But I agree...to either.

I don't mind all pop music but Britney Spears has always grated on my nerves.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
New era?

That all seems about as cookie-cutter as everything else on the radio....

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
To get a new era in music there needs to be a new development somehow.

Why is this music thread only based on English music. NoNo one cares about Latin, Slavic or Asian based music? (Of course only the pop will somehow get noticed by mainstream.

i dont think there needs to be a new development..... 'popular' music is always going to be crappy. its going to be crappy cause most pop musicians dont write their own stuff. they dont know how to play an instrument. they have never had any instruction in composition or theory..... thing is though, thats what john q public wants for the most part.

to your question.....i care about all music... check out my threads.

thats why i dont agree with a lot of statements.... people saying nothing new can happen and things like that.

there is new stuff happening every day. there are fantastic musicians out there and music of substance. its just not on the top 100. not on mtv. not in heavy radio rotation but it is still very much out there.

you have to find the good stuff. its not gonna find you.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Lol as both. I just stated one highly popular Spanish/latin artist to another English 'artist'

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's pop and a majority of it is like McDonald's,it's fast food music that's cheap to make and easy to produce

Will they be classics? Perhaps but you know hotel California still sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear it

Was at glasto when the Rolling Stones were on the stage and every song they performed had the same effect

Having said that there are some very talented composers and writers in the pop industry,it's not all fast food music but there the odd ones out

One album over the last few years that realy surprised me was Lionel Richie when he reproduced a lot of his classics on a best of album and changed it to a more country rock setting-blew me away hearing these classics songs sounding IMO the way they should have-in a big band full of talented musicians

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
a reply to: tridentblue

What do you here people think of Trap music?
I like it personally. To me it sounds proper ghetto, none of that studio gangster business. "Cash money" and all that. Slave music striving for a better life, in an age when philanthropy is overshadowed by a gargantuan military industrial comlplex, and an increasongly militarised and inhumane police culture

HAHAHAHA I Hadnt even heard that somg before i posted it... To be honest i hadnt even heard of trap music until earlier this week when some guys were saying how a new uk all star Grime mix was actually Trap, not Grime.
But id definately heard it on the radio without knowing it was a new genre....

That vid is f#en hilarious. Apparently its from the second wave that started around 2010, when dance djs got hold of it and started mixing it up, giving the genre a whole new lease of life... I really like it, its totally subversive... And scores high in entertainment value. And unlike a lot of other genres of rap they dont always want take themselves or their music too seriously, which is a relief... So i think maybe in this area of southern US we could be witnessing a new era... And i was thinking, i wonder what will come out of the secomd wave of trap... If you listen to enough of it, i think its down to earth enough to go in some possibly unheard of directions... Maybe thats me lol teach me the tech and i will show you

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Thats a fair question. Perhaps the thread title should have been, " Are we witnessing a new era of western music?"
Perhaps i can still change it or are my 120 minutes up?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

I agree. I was mainly pointing out that new stuff can gradually cause a new era. I probably focused to much on a new genre. As part of my own travels or eexplorations through music I recognised the devolpment of the electronic music as a new era both in focus of music (pure rhythm not new it is like the music of old tribes to get in trance lol) as in the experience of the music. Ongoing and not mainly focused on the performer (that later changed again). Btw you don't need a new development a new development will be there. The Roland 303 as example highly appriciated in the beginning of underground acid and tekno was afterall 25 bucks as a kids toy.

Nowadays i don't listen that much anymore and most is either Latin or another language for two reasons. One i want to hear the musical value of the voice without being distracted of a certain message and two (i will get flamed by some for this) if I want to hear a message that sounds good but in the end will change nothing in the world i will listen to some politicians.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass

i want to hear the musical value of the voice

i go the other way... most of what i listen to is instrumental

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

English is not my native language so probably i didn't say it right. Most of what i listen is voiceless but if i listen to music with voices i would like to hear them as instruments and not as messengers.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

you have to find the good stuff. its not gonna find you.

Thats the real tragedy i think. The good stuffs not gonna find you, but chances are the bad stuff will.

Having said that, in recent months, i feel even thats changing, at least here in the UK.

Looknatmour official top 40 singlesmchart at moment. Its unprecedented, even by todays very standards, but to think 10 years ago a chart like this would be unheard of peoples attitudes towards the kind of music we are hearing today would have been hostile i think. Now it seems people are feeling very open. Thats another thing. Its not the music thats changing its the people changing.. And the music rapidly chaning at an unprecedented rate with us.

www.bbc.co.uk...

This is number 1

And number 2; a remake of a 90s house classic!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

New trends are needed to fulfill the wishes of puberty claiming its own territory in society.

I dont agree witn that.
I think its a dangerous myth but im not going to explain why, just sayin'.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I don't know about a new era, but I just want to say I heard Royals way late (i don't listen to new music - like at all) and it was already a "smash hit" when I heard it and I listened and thought "eWhaaat? this isn't really catchy at all, no music or lyrical hooks. It's boring and barely a song. What happened?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join