It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone own a Samsung Note 3, or other "phablet"? Opinions needed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am thinking of going with the Samsung Note 4 for my next phone. However, I want a phone that has a good camera in it. Well, as good as you're going to get in a phone. So far, I'm hearing good things about Samsung's camera system. I take a lot of pictures, as an amateur photographer. See thread here.

The problem is, I don't/can't always have my DSLR with me. Because of business, however, I always have my phone with me. Any recommendations from those who use their phone camera a lot would be appreciated. I haven't been particularly thrilled with my iphone. I'm thinking Android this round.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I say go for the Note 4

www.phonearena.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamfox1
Yeah, the specs are awesome. Plus the f-stop opens up to a generous 1.9. Thanks for the link. Phone Arena is one place I hadn't looked yet.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I've had the Note 4 for about 5-6 months now. The camera is pretty good, but you have to hold it very still. Here's a pic that I snapped recently.

If you use your device in various environments, you might consider the GALAXY S5 instead. Samsung added some dust and water resistance to the design, and it's more durable when dropped.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure
The note 4 hasn't been released yet. It is due in October. Maybe the Note 3, or S4 is what you have? My son has an S5, and likes it. I'm thinking the extra screen real estate of a phablet will aid in taking pictures. It's quite a handful, though.

Like the pic. But then I'm a sucker for cats. I don't know why.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The S5 is probably going to be your best option for the camera. My brother works in the industry and he says the most popular phone with the least amount of returns and grievances is, at the moment, the S3. I currently use one and haven't had the slightest problem with it. But i have buddies who use the S5 and it looks to be head and shoulders above my S3. The only thing about the S5 is that the S6 comes out in the new year. So if you can hang on then you have that option. But you're really not going to go wrong with the S5 if you're planning to ditch the iPhone asap.

In terms of the note, it's a pretty big phone especially if you're gonna throw a case/otterbox on it. It's only natural that they have an NBA player endorsing it lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: kicked
It definitely has the features. I've seriously considered it. I'm thinking the Note 4 will be better viewing for composition. Especially for an old geezer, such as myself. Nevertheless, I think I just need to do a hands-on with the S5, and the Note 3/4, and see.

In terms of the note, it's a pretty big phone especially if you're gonna throw a case/otterbox on it. It's only natural that they have an NBA player endorsing it lol.

Lol! True.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I have a Note 2 and have no complaints.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
My daughter uses that exact Note. She post some excellent images. Uses it for Skype. Makes calls and the voice quality is excellent as well. I use a Galaxy S3, when I get a tablet I will get the Note 4. Check out the pricing for these Samsung product you can buy directly at www.samsungfactoryoutletstore.com.... I purchased my phone from there. No contract, just a straight up purchase.
edit on 9 9 2014 by Ceeker63 because: forgot web address

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I have a note 3 and I love it!

Only drawbacks I have discovered are, battery can guzzle sometimes and sometimes when people see it for the first time, their eyes nearly pop out of their head at the size of it!

Apart from that great phone.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63
Interesting. As I'm not due for an upgrade yet. That site is a consideration. Thanks.

Fixed your link, btw... sam.factoryoutletstore.com...

Oops. Just found this. Be careful folks... www.sitejabber.com...

edit on 9/9/2014 by Klassified because: add

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: solargeddon
I have heard battery life is about a day at most on these, if you use them much at all. One of those after market power packs might be a necessity. The size. Yes. I did a double-take the first time I saw one too. Lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Husband has had a Note 2 for a year and a half. He wanted the hybrid for work purposes because he goes into a lot of meetings and wanted the ability to take notes wherever he was and he also has to always be accessible because he's responsible for a cooler full of samples so he needed the phone.

He does have the Otterbox on it, and it is large. It takes nice pictures, much nicer than my little phone. He has noticed that his battery capacity is dropping off over the course of the last 6 months. If he's in the cooler organizing samples and listening to Pandora, he'll be in the yellow or orange by the time he gets home.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Once you get it get it rooted remove all the bloatware or install custom rom your battery will last longer .

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Oops you're right -- it's an S4. I blame the cat for the error.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
At least the battery can be changed by the consumer in that phone. The iphone has to be sent in. Sucks. Thanks for the input.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Once you get it get it rooted remove all the bloatware or install custom rom your battery will last longer .

This is something I've considered, but I hate to root a new phone I'm paying retail for. Nevertheless, it might be a necessity.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
I want a phone that has a good camera in it.

I haven't been particularly thrilled with my iphone. I'm thinking Android this round.

I took this with a Droid Razr HD, stock photo app on the phone with no special camera settings or anything... Just turned it on and snapped a pic. The original picture was at 3264x1836 resolution, so keep in mind that there's a loss of quality even in what you're looking at.
Btw, congratulations on ditching Apple. For everything they make, there's something better.

edit on 9/9/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Ive never had problem with samsung always root mine when get .. in addition to batt. lasting me longer they run better and faster without the bloatware .. another thing that helps is in setting to restrict background data ..
Thinking of getting the 8" tab S when next get one .. currently running 7" tab 3 .. find it easier typing along with easier to read screen on tab ..

Funny thing is have no problem using tab and android yet cant use pc .. so stick with tab for everything ..

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I´ve had a Note 3 for some time now and I really love the phone! It's big but you'll get used to that in no time. It still fits into my jeans front pocket fine. I don't use a case or whatever, because when I did I noticed the signal reception was quite poor and I never had 4G anywhere. Without a cover it works excellent though. The screen is crisp and clear, and the over-all performance of the phone is good enough to not be annoyed with long waiting times for anyting. It also works perfectly with my Volkswagen bluetooth system, so I can browse my contacts on the display of my sat-nav, make/answer calls and receive/send text messages without problems. This didn't work with the Galaxy S3 I had before this, so I was quite happy about that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join