It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Can anyone tel me more about Titans . Here is what I know .
-there is one in N-europe,S-europe,Amerika,Afrika(Egypt)and the midle of the earth
-The one in the midle of the earth is the king of Titans.
-there is one Titan free on earth,the rest is locked up in N-europe,S-europe,Amerika,Afrika(Egypt)and the midle of the earth
-that Titan who is free is caled Titany
-Titany wants to free the other Titans
If jou have more info on the Titan's please reply .

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Titans are mythological things that are really tall. Theyre similar to gods in some respects.

They were all locked in ancient hell called Tartarus, in a place called Hades if im not mistaken. Hades was a general term for a land after death, and there were severl dimensions.

One dimension was for common people, not good or bad. Theyd be in this shadow reality as shades of themselves.

another was a place for heroes and people who did outstanding good for all

Tartarus was hell for bad people. The titans were all going on a rampage so the ancient gods locked them in tartarus.

thats all I know

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
intresting post spy boy,

ummmm....?....even though you dont seem to know much ive heard of what your talking about and would be intrested to find out a bit more about this subject!....ill have a look and see what i can find!

regards.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
well that didnt take long!

there you go!

www.hol.gr...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catfish
They were all locked in ancient hell called Tartarus, in a place called Hades if im not mistaken. Hades was a general term for a land after death, and there were severl dimensions.

One dimension was for common people, not good or bad. Theyd be in this shadow reality as shades of themselves.

If I'm not mistaken, Hades isn't a place, but the God of the Underworld/Afterlife in Greek Mythology.

Tartarus is hell, The Elysian Plains heaven and the land in between them was called Minos Rhadamanthys Aeacus or in modern terms, the Plains of Judgement.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by spyboy
Can anyone tel me more about Titans

Titans are a group of super-beings/gods that existed in greek mythology prior to the olympian gods. They were in a sense more 'primal' than the olympian gods, and a war was fought between the titans and some of their monstrosities and the olypian gods, the titanomachy. Prometheus was a titan, one who sided with the olypmian gods.

-there is one in N-europe,S-europe,Amerika,Afrika(Egypt)and the midle of the earth

The greeks didn't know about america and really didn't know very much about nothern europe. The titans were wiped out or entirely imprisoned inafter the titanomachy. Prometheus was chained to a mountain in the atlas mountain chains. The interesting thing that you bring up here tho is that, so i have read, the 'titans' are 'earth gods', it 'tit' means something like 'earth' (dirt, planet, whatever) in either greek or some prot0-greek language or whatever. The 'middle of the earth' bit reminded me of that.

-The one in the midle of the earth is the king of Titans.

The titans, so far as I know, had no king or leader, and were just the first generation of things produced by the primordial gods.

-there is one Titan free on earth,the rest is locked up in N-europe,S-europe,Amerika,Afrika(Egypt)and the midle of the earth

I am unaware of any titan that is free after the titanomachy except for prometheus, who is imprisoned later.

-that Titan who is free is caled Titany

I do not think that there is any titan called this.

-Titany wants to free the other Titans

Never heard this.

If jou have more info on the Titan's please reply .

I like Joseph Campbell's speculation on the titans. He noticed that lots f shamanistic primitive cults that became more 'sophisticated' religious cults have stories wherein the new or central god defeats the old earthly powered shamans. He reasoned that the titanomachy is the greek version of this tale, of the triumph of greek religion over tribal greek shamans.

catfish
locked in ancient hell called Tartarus, in a place called Hades

I don't think that the titans were necessarily 'tall', but irregardless, I think that the specific geography of it is that in Hades there is a section called Tartarus.

another was a place for heroes

The elysian fields. It wasn't for 'good people' necessarily, rather it was for the really great amoung the heros. The regular people, good or 'bad' would live out their eternal existence in the after life as 'squaking and gibbering' pale shades of their former selves, sort of like how the urukians talked about the dead living on dust and clay. For the greeks the masses of the the spectres of the dead would just walk like a mob to the underworld and, not knowing what to do, drink from a river that would wipe out their memories. Then they would exist in hades like that.

thematrix
Hades isn't a place, but the God of the Underworld

As I understand it, Hades/Pluto is the ruler of the underworld, one of the three gods who got dominion over a three part division of the universe. Pluto the underworld, poseidon the seas and Zeus the skies. I am pretty sure that Hades is also the underworld, a phyiscal place, not a metaphysical 'other world' like modern heaven/hell/etc, and within it there was all elysia/tartarus/etc. This is where a hero goes, where a no name dirt farmer goes, and where people found to be extremely offensive to the gods personally, like sisyphus or tantalus go. However, hercules/herakles, for example, is supposed ot have ascended onto Mt Olympus, rather than dwelling amoung the 'mere heros' of hades on the elysian fields.

I would think either way the Original Poster must be thinking of something different tho, their description of a 'Titan' doesn't really conform to that of the actual titans.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
To all that who posted about the Titans, Yes Indeed, I think everybody caught up on a different understanding of what the titans is and are. I noticed that everybody has mentioned the Greek Mythology, in which the Titans as everybody knows it, originated from. But I'm afraid that "Spyboy" was thinking about something a wee bit different.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Perhaps you guys could elaborate on who and what these other Titans are?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I would say that the Titan that avoided the pit of Tartarus was Chronos (Saturn). He desires help from the other Titans trapped in Tartarus because they each have knowledge and power of the elements, but they can't see clearly anymore. If Chronos and the other Titans were free today they would cause unimaginable chaos to our earthly society.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Pluto

Now your mixing Greek Mythology with Roman Gods I think

Pluto is the King of the Dead in the pre Christian Roman World.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
I would say that the Titan that avoided the pit of Tartarus was Chronos (Saturn). He desires help from the other Titans trapped in Tartarus because they each have knowledge and power of the elements, but they can't see clearly anymore. If Chronos and the other Titans were free today they would cause unimaginable chaos to our earthly society.

I'm actually a little unclear as to whether or not Chronos is a Titan proper. But, Uranus and Gaia, the first generation of gods, produced them, so chronos/saturn probably are. Note, however, that Saturn is bound in chains, tied up like the rest of them.

. If Chronos and the other Titans were free today they would cause unimaginable chaos to our earthly society.

Notice that this also plays into Campbell's idea that the Titans represent the old shamanistic urges and traditions and social setup.

the matrix
Pluto is the King of the Dead

Pluto, hades, Dis, they all serve similar functions in a similar mythology. THe names are generally interchangeable, and the titanomachy was something the romans were familiar with. Now, Mars and Ares, on the other hand, are rather different gods, at least initially. One the god of ravenous war, the other the god of the field. But again, there is continuity. Zeus and Jupiter being the same sort of god, with the same mythology and the like, and even a probably linguistic/historical link in the sanskrit term 'dyeus pater, skyfather, ju-piter.

from a page noting Hesiod
Apart from the Cyclopes, Cronus and his brothers [Zeus] had imprisoned in Tartarus three more terrible giants, the Hundred-handed

So apparently Chronos himself is locked away rather early. Then, this page notes, again supposedly from Hesiod

The moment the Titans weakened from the battle and made their last stand to contain the Olympians, the Hundred-handed blinded by their hate for the ingratitude at their brothers, grabbed with their hundred hands three-hundred huge rocks and buried the Titans under them.

After this unbelievable outcome, they flung them into dark Tartarus. That is there where Uranus had locked them when they were just born. There, where their brothers had imprisoned the Cyclopes and the Hundred-hundred, against the advice of Earth. Immediately after, the Cyclopes forged copper fences around the Titans' cells, as well as a triple iron wall. The doors were locked by Poseidon and Zeus appointed the Hundred-handed to guard them for him. Thus ended the Titanomachy,

So there are, very roughly, Olympians, Giant Monstrosities (like the hectatonacheires and Cyclopses) and the Titans themselves. The titans are all defeated except for some or at least one that sides with zeus, and sent to Tartarus.

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

The Titans, also known as the elder gods, ruled the earth before the Olympians overthrew them. The ruler of the Titans was Cronus who was de-throned by his son Zeus. Most of the Titans fought with Cronus against Zeus and were punished by being banished to Tartarus. During their rule the Titans were associated with the various planets. The Titans are: Gaea, Uranus, Cronus, Rhea, Oceanus, Tethys, Hyperion, Mnemosyne, Themis, Iapetus, Coeus, Crius, Phoebe, Thea, Prometheus, Epimetheus, Atlas, Metis, Dione

More about them with descriptions of every Titan can be found here:

www.hol.gr...

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
That's what I thought.

www.hol.gr...

"Cronus was the ruling Titan who came to power by castrating his Father Uranus. His wife was Rhea. There offspring were the first of the Olympians. To insure his safety Cronus ate each of the children as they were born. This worked until Rhea, unhappy at the loss of her children, tricked Cronus into swallowing a rock, instead of Zeus. When he grew up Zeus would revolt against Cronus and the other Titans, defeat them, and banish them to Tartarus in the underworld. Cronus managed to escape to Italy, where he ruled as Saturn. The period of his rule was said to be a golden age on earth, honored by the Saturnalia feast. "

Does the name Saturn originate from Latin of the Romans? Did the biblical name Satan originate from the same source- Latin?

Saturn=Cronos
Satan=Rebel, Resistor

posted on Dec, 8 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Interesting comparasion with saturn and satan. I never thought about that before. It seems to fit together very well. Cronos didn't escape. It was Zeus that imprisioned him and the other titians. As far as I know, anyway.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Cronus managed to escape to Italy, where he ruled as Saturn. The period of his rule was said to be a golden age on earth, honored by the Saturnalia feast. "

The romans however don't claim that chronos escaped tartarus, came there, and changed his name to saturn. The romans and greeks have many gods that are more or less equivalent to each other. Zeus and Jupiter. Hera and Juno. Poseidon and Neptune. And here, Chronos and Saturn. But chronos didn't 'escape' tartarus to become a latin myth.

Does the name Saturn originate from Latin of the Romans? Did the biblical name Satan originate from the same source- Latin?

Almost certainly not. 'Satan' exists before christians and jews spoke latin.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
The word "satan" is from a Hebrew word, "sathane", meaning adversary or calumniator; in original Jewish usage (see the book of Job).

freemasonry.bcy.ca...

From the Latin Saturnus, which is of unknown meaning. In Roman mythology he was the father of Jupiter, Juno and others, and was also the god of agriculture. This is also the name of the ringed sixth planet in the solar system.

www.behindthename.com...

Where did the Romans get the word "Saturnus" because its of an unknown meaning?

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
from what i know the a race of primitive one-eyed god-like giants that the olympian gods went to war with. the great olympian god Zeus locked them away under the earth after a great war.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Where did the Romans get the word "Saturnus" because its of an unknown meaning?

I was thinking that it looks Etruscan, but here's the etymology

Etymology: Anglo-Saxon, from Latin Saturnus, from satum, past participle of serere to sow.
sourece
As far as the origin of serere, who knows.

Oh crap! Vindication!

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English Saturnus, from Old English, from Latin Sturnus, of Etruscan origin
source

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek911_psycho
from what i know the a race of primitive one-eyed god-like giants

Technically the Giants are a different group than the Titans. But I guess both would squash a person with one foot, so there's that.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek911_psycho
from what i know the a race of primitive one-eyed god-like giants that the olympian gods went to war with. the great olympian god Zeus locked them away under the earth after a great war.

Methinks you've gotten your mythologies mixed up. The one-eyed giants would be the Cyclopes, headed by Polyphemus. They were not Titans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join