It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titans

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by Derek911_psycho
from what i know the a race of primitive one-eyed god-like giants that the olympian gods went to war with. the great olympian god Zeus locked them away under the earth after a great war.

Methinks you've gotten your mythologies mixed up. The one-eyed giants would be the Cyclopes, headed by Polyphemus. They were not Titans.
But the Cyclopes wanted to free the Titans to gain their power .

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Where'd you hear that?

So everyone is talking about the Titans you had intended? You weren't talking about some other thing called Titans? There had been a question about that in the thread you realize.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I think, at least for the sake of discussion, we need to figure out if you're talking about the Titans from Greek myth, spyboy.

Are they the titans as the Greeks described them?

Are they the race that spawned the Titan myths, but are a little (or a lot) different than represented.

Where are you pulling your information from? Books, poems, oral history, past-life regression?

Right now it's just a melee where we're all talking about the literature of an ancient (but very well documented) civilization.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I agree with WJ. The question originally was asking about titans, and then gave some info that didn't seem to mesh properly with the only known Titans. I think everyone here woudl appreciate clarification. Is spyboy asking about something other than the Greek Mythological Titans? I mean, there could be something else that he is takling about.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Here's what I remember...(Greek mythology)

Uranus was the male god of the sky, Gia was the female god of the earth.

They then had children, which were the Titans.

Chronus (regarded as the elder of the Titans) overthrew his father, and started eating his sons to prevent history repeating itself.

He was tricked into thinking he had eaten Zeus, and then Zeus eventually overthrew him, and imprisoned the Titans.

Gia had other children, though I don't know too much about the dad in that equation..., with Zeus's other two brothers Hades and Poseidon, gaining their own realms (Tarterus and the Oceans, respectively).

The Hades/Tarterus bit gets confusing because in later mythologies, involving the 7 heavens, or the 9 hells, Hades is also a named layer of the 9 hells, as is Tarterus.

The Elysian Fields are one of the 7 heavens in some mythologies. It is often likened to the Halls of Valhalla in Norse mythology, where those who died in battle go.

The Cyclopses are generally considered to be more of the menial labor force of Olympus, often depicted as minding the herds, or even as smiths in the forges of Olympus (pounding out lightning bolts for the boss)...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join