It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British and Scottish towns raise Palestinian flag in a sign of solidarity.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome
Care to expand, or just a one-liner drive by?
I enjoy reasoned debate, but cryptic assertions I'm not interested in, sorry.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Care to expand, or just a one-liner drive by?
I enjoy reasoned debate, but cryptic assertions I'm not interested in, sorry.

cryptic assertion??

u mean king,,, barons??
sorry
said the "Caliph too his followers"

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Just like many people in the UK I have enormous sympathy for the Palestinian people and their plight.

However, I don't want to see any flag fly over my local Town Hall or any other legislative building other than St George's Cross or The Union flag.

Does that automatically qualify me somehow as an 'EDL' supporter?
If so could you please explain to me your reasoning?

I wonder why so many people who are keen to support Palestinian nationalism are also so quick to condemn any displays of British nationalism or pride?

edit on 28/8/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Again, cryptic, why not try to add a few more descriptive words, with a clear reference to whatever message you are attempting to convey? That is commonly known as reasoned debate.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
maybe some of those potholed road's are going to be blamed on Hamas

stopthewarnow.net...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

What I read initially had a very EDL-like approach...

90% Muslim population to curry votes???
Word play doesn't surpass me as a poet, & I don't believe it was accidental!

There is nothing wrong with national pride...
I encourage it...

Already explained my opinion on the Union Jack and Rule Britannia as an imperialist machination and I dislike the ideology behind both!!!

If you are all for solidarity I don't know why flying the flag is a no go for people...
For me personally I think it's a feeble gesture considering the position of these people...
But at the same time I understand that thy are not top of the list to make decisions despite the "democracy" that we live in...

I'm not ungrateful, I appreciate everything the UK has done for me as a Scots-Irish Londoner...
But I can't say I appreciate how they treat the rest of the World, Gazans included!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
Do you know if the town halls in the two councils have a single flag pole or more?
As I said earlier, mine has 3, St George's cross, Union flag, and the other changes regularly between locally supported causes or events.
If there was strong local debate in my area for the plight of civilian Palestinians then I would not be surprised to see their flag on the 3rd pole. There is not such vocal support for Palestine in my area so the Palestinian flag is not flying.
I support the flying of flags by our council on the 3rd pole for whatever my local populace is passionate about. That is democracy...and of course politicians pandering to voters.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

well if they flew some other countries Football Flag,,same thing?
i know some soccer people who would get upset if someone did that, so why not the Crown?
edit on 8/28/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What has the Crown got to do with this?
Local government (Councils) are completely seperate to the Crown.
I used to work for the Crown and drove a Crown vehicle which had no tax disk in the window, just an exemption statement disk. I got pulled by a less educated cop once and he was all suspicious and asked how come police cars have tax disks, to which I replied because they are owned by the local council and police authority and are not Crown vehicles.

The Crown is irrelevant in this thread, it is about a democratically elected local authority expressing the vocal sentiments of it's voters, or pandering to them for votes.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
What has the Crown got to do with this?
I used to work for the Crown and drove a Crown vehicle which had no tax disk in the window, just an exemption statement disk. I got pulled by a less educated cop once and he was all suspicious and asked how come police cars have tax disks, to which I replied because they are owned by the local council and police authority and are not Crown vehicles.

The Crown is irrelevant in this thread, it is about a democratically elected local authority expressing the vocal sentiments of it's voters, or pandering to them for votes.

The Crown is irrelevant ???,, well iguess u missed the part about,,a Crown vehicle which had no tax disk??

its good too be King or Queen,, tax on tax off,,repeat,,

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

never thought id see the day,, in Britian,,completely seperate to the Crown.

wow.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Oh dear, do you really not understand that the Crown is irrelevant in this thread.
Any other debate about the Crown is off-topic because it is about democratically elected local councils flying a flag which the local populace apparently supports.
Do you not wish to discuss that. as the OP does, or would that involve typing more than one line?

*Edit*
Just seen your second reply during the time I was typing.
I do not see reasoned debate as a realistic chance for us right now so I shall leave it for others to engage with you if they consider your points worthy of such. I bid you good evening.

edit on 28-8-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

ok

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

What I read initially had a very EDL-like approach...

Sorry, got to disagree with you there - an increasing number of people have similar views, the vast majority of whom would never be found anywhere near an EDL or Britain First demonstration.

90% Muslim population to curry votes???

As has been pointed the correct figure is around 56% - but its still a valid point isn't it?

Word play doesn't surpass me as a poet, & I don't believe it was accidental!

Well, I'm no poet, but I'm pretty piss wise and been round the block more than just a few times.
And I'd say I'm reasonably good at seeing through the semantics and bollocks and getting to the heart of the matter.
But I've got to say I just don't see it like you.

And I'm not quite sure if being a poet gives anyone an intuitive insight into true meanings of words or phrases.

There is nothing wrong with national pride...
I encourage it...

To an extent.

Already explained my opinion on the Union Jack and Rule Britannia as an imperialist machination and I dislike the ideology behind both!!!

Discussion for another time and place methinks - if you ever start a thread on it please let me know and I'd be glad to add my two pennorth.

If you are all for solidarity I don't know why flying the flag is a no go for people...

Because it is a legislative body elected to represent the people of that borough / council / constituency etc.
By flying anything other than St George's Cross, Union Flag or the county or town flag then they are showing OFFICIAL support of that nation etc - and it's not official.

If individuals choose to express their support for the people of Gaza etc by flying the Palestinian flag then that is entirely up to them and I would support their right to do so.

For me personally I think it's a feeble gesture considering the position of these people...

Of course its a feeble gesture, and most people recognise that - which is why it brings allegations of it being an empty gesture aimed at only 'currying favour' with a large section of the electorate.

But I can't say I appreciate how they treat the rest of the World, Gazans included!

Again, something I'd enjoy discussing and debating with you in another thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Do you know if the town halls in the two councils have a single flag pole or more?

To be honest I've only ever noticed one, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of there being more - I'll certainly pay more attention next time I'm in the vicinity.

As I said earlier, mine has 3, St George's cross, Union flag, and the other changes regularly between locally supported causes or events.
If there was strong local debate in my area for the plight of civilian Palestinians then I would not be surprised to see their flag on the 3rd pole. There is not such vocal support for Palestine in my area so the Palestinian flag is not flying.
I support the flying of flags by our council on the 3rd pole for whatever my local populace is passionate about. That is democracy

I guess that would be fair enough.

...and of course politicians pandering to voters.

The cynical side of me thinks that this would be the most likely motivation for flying any flag.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
The cynical side of me thinks that this would be the most likely motivation for flying any flag.

We share the same thoughts, but then an official flag pole is always inherently political, regardless of the flag.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome

never thought id see the day,, in Britian,,completely seperate to the Crown.

wow.

The Crown is largely irrelevant in Britain, the Queen is a figurehead (has no power).

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned, but Scotland is classed as British, that's unless they vote otherwise next month.

The correct title would have been, English and Scottish towns.

IMO I agree with the solidarity stance. The Palestine flag is for a country and not a religion, for example some 4% of the population is Christian which equates to roughly 56,000 people. No matter what religion these people are, they are being treated in a barbaric way and the world needs to show solidarity to this suffering in the same way the world stood against South Africa.
edit on 28.8.2014 by flammadraco because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned, but Scotland is classed as British, that's unless they vote otherwise next month.

Nobody mentioned it, but I thought it.
Didn't say anything though because I nit-picked about Jersey not being part of the UK in a recent thread and wouldn't wanna be thought of as a total knob lol

...I agree with any democratically elected local authority reflecting the views of it's electorate, even if it is to win votes it still helps everyone else understand where the thoughts of a local authority populace are at.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
True. Brits are British. Maybe it won't go down the Yugoslav route, but the Islamics took over the whole of north africa, the middle east and much of south east asia by slowly taking over. I swear to you when one walks round our towns these days, cities acually, it doesn't feel that British these days and things evolve, Britishness changes with the times, Islamics do appear in the news all the time and are we being mind washed into fearing a Kosovo v.2 ? Dunno. Things don't usually go down the positive route however when the Muslims get into a large minority, history proves this in the above mentioned previously Christian areas. Anyway it's all the fault of the (now defuct) textile industry if we do get to the point of a Kosovo type situation, they asked the government to bring the initial Islamics over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join