It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British and Scottish towns raise Palestinian flag in a sign of solidarity.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Tower Hamlets mayor raises Palestinian flag over town hall.

Lutfur Rahman tweeted: "Palestinian flag flying at Town Hall in solidarity with #Gaza and in support of a #ceasefire & peace" on Wednesday

Palestine flag flies over Scots town in support of the suffering people of Gaza.

A PALESTINE flag flew over a Scots town in support of the suffering people of Gaza yesterday.

West Dunbartonshire Council unfurled the banner at the top of their buildings in the centre of Dumbarton.

A spokeswoman said: “The flag is not being raised in support of Hamas … but to raise awareness of the suffering and deaths of people in Gaza.

Agree or disagree, I found this to be really surprising.

If a town or municipality tried that in the US, I would fully expect them to be raided by the DHS and FBI, backed up by the local storm troopers (I mean police).

The politicians would probably be disappeared into Guantanamo.

edit on 28-8-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere
If a town or municipality tried that in the US, I would fully expect them to be raided by the DHS and FBI, backed up by the local storm troopers (I mean police).

The politicians would probably be disappeared into Guantanamo.

How come so many US citizens on ATS celebrate their free speech then, is it not really that free?
I am glad that UK police do not storm a democratically elected local authority for raising awareness of citizen victims of violence in Palestine.
edit on 28-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere
It's amazing when people stand up together for justice. I applaud their courage

Indeed... This would never happen in the US, unfortunately.

The world is waking up to the Zionist inhumanity, fraud and lies.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's a good start, even if it is a feeble gesture on the part of our politicians!!!

Or is it a good gesture and a feeble start...

We need them to be more vocal over this in Westminster...
But Mr.Cameron is Mr.Netanyahu's shoe shining, Etonian doormat...
So expect silence and tumble weed!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Disgraceful the mayor of tower hamlets should be sacked and the flag took down.
The only reason its been flown is because 90% of the population there is muslim its to curry votes.
Try flying the Union Flag and the councils jump straight on to you demanding that you take it down,Feed up with all this PC crap that's happening in what was once and i may add in my lifetime one of the Greatest Country's in the world.
If he wants to fly flags how about Syria flag or the Iraq flag to show solidarity against the isis but he wont he is a law unto himself this is England not Palestine the only flag i want to see is the Union Flag flying on buildings that my tax money has paid for.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
can u imagine what kind of trouble will happen when some prankster puts up this flag in a town they dont like??

i can see it now ""THE BATTLE OF THE FLAGS",,

just when u thought the 7 year war and the war of the Roses, and the troubles were over,,,i bring u,,plant the Flag!

edit on 8/28/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: KROandSOTV

Actually it's 34.5 %, although it is largest.
First figure is Tower hamlets the second is national.

The main religions practised in the borough are Islam and Christianity.[37] There are 21 active churches in Tower Hamlets affiliated with the Church of England, which include Christ Church of Spitalfields, St Paul's Church of Shadwell and St Dunstan's of Stepney[38] and also churches of many other Christian denominations. There are around 40 mosques, including Islamic centres. The largest are the East London Mosque, the Brick Lane Mosque and the Markazi Masjid.[39] Other notable religious buildings include the Fieldgate Street Great Synagogue, the Congregation of Jacob Synagogue, the London Buddhist Centre, the Hindu Pragati Sangha Temple, and the Gurdwara Sikh Sangat.

Religion Tower Hamlets % National %

Islam 34.5 5.0
Christianity 27.1 59.4
Hinduism 1.7 1.5
Buddhism 1.1 0.5
Judaism 0.5 0.5
Sikhism 0.3 0.8
Other 0.3 0.4
No religion 19.2 24.7
Religion not stated 15.4 7.2

Source

Cody

edit on 28/8/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: KROandSOTV
tower hamlets ...
The only reason its been flown is because 90% of the population there is muslim its to curry votes.

As for Dunbarton, the motive there may be as much anti-English as pro-Palestininan.
"Whatever the London government does, we'll do the opposite".

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Disgraceful the mayor of tower hamlets should be sacked and the flag took down.

Why exactly?

Any proof of this...
Or is that an EDL mentality you're stinking up the thread with?

Feed up with all this PC crap that's happening in what was once and i may add in my lifetime one of the Greatest Country's in the world.

England has never been one of the Greatest Countries in the World...
Never will be either!

This is all too Tommy-Robinsonesque if you ask me!

this is England

Oh that old chest nut!!! lol!!!

If he wants to fly flags how about Syria flag or the Iraq flag to show solidarity against the isis

Good idea...

But...

the only flag i want to see is the Union Flag

Make your mind up!!!

BTW... The Union Jack is a symbol of imperialistic crusades & slavery...
Not worth a rub!!!

edit on 28-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Democratically elected councils represent their populace.
I live in a 98% white area by the sea and my local council building flies the cross of St George, the Union Flag, and the 3rd pole changes regularly...the RNLI flag, Help for Heroes, Royal British Legion, Poppy Appeal, The FA and RFU flags during international games...etc.

I support all democratically elected councils to fly flags which represent the thoughts of its voters.
You may personally find it distasteful that it is 'Muslim' as you put it, but if the people there are deeply concerned about the suffering of innocent citizens in Palestine then I am glad they have that right to express that.
Pandering to voters? Of course, what else does a politician ever do, from MP's to local councillors?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Walk down the high st in Tower Hamlets mate then come back on here and tell me that 90% seems pretty reasonable.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The facts in the census are the facts.

Are you denying that ?

The link was provided, you may like to look at it. I live next to Luton, 24.6 % Muslim, LINKY but if you walked through it you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the middle east.

Just saying

Cody
edit on 28/8/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BobAthome
can u imagine what kind of trouble will happen when some prankster puts up this flag in a town they dont like??

i can see it now ""THE BATTLE OF THE FLAGS",,

just when u thought the 7 year war and the war of the Roses, and the troubles were over,,,i bring u,,plant the Flag!

Ha ha... you must be dreaming. 20 years time maximum we've got Kosovo or Bosnia v.2. played out in UK guaranteed. When the population is increased to the point of Holy War. It's already taking place to a degree in our northern towns right now

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

How dare you accuse me of being EDL if you bother to read up on the mayor of tower hamlets then he is a most distasteful person a bit like you.
How dare you dis my flag that my father brother grandfather fought and died for.
You sir can meet me on the field of battle.
And Tommy robinson has nothing to do with the edl.
He wont fly the Iraq or syrian flag because of isis the ones hidden in his brough.
England or the UK have done a lot for this world so yes it was once one of the greatest nations in the world.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

How dare you accuse me of being EDL

I never accused you of anything I was asking a straightforward question!

How dare you dis my flag that my father brother grandfather fought and died for.

It's a flag that represents slavery...
If they died for the George Cross I say fair play and salute them!

And Tommy robinson has nothing to do with the edl.

It's his ideology, it has everything to do with it's creator!

He wont fly the Iraq or syrian flag because of isis the ones hidden in his brough.

Again I'm going to ask if you have proof of this accusation?

England or the UK have done a lot for this world so yes it was once one of the greatest nations in the world.

I'll agree to disagree!

You sir can meet me on the field of battle.

You shouldn't take this so personally my friend, we are all looking for the same answers!

link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Kosovo or Bosnia,,well it was enthnic cleansing,,crude and the price was paid.
But Britian is was and hopefully is ,,, British,, and when in the long History of Britian,
has a common man not been found,, amoungst the people old and ancient,?
,too save them
and preserve the British people till Days everlasting?

edit on 8/28/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

link   
The percentage of people following the faith of Islam is around 5% in the UK, from official census to independent research. I'm linking nothing here, just search for it yourself if you disagree.
That is massively outnumbered, let's keep things in perspective people and stop being drama queens about the state of the UK based on a few local councils with high Islamic populations.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

said the King too the Barons,,

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Sorry charlie ive got to go out but i will be back later with my evidence

and no everybody has a view and i value yours and everybody's so no its not personal.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Where is the Lord High Defender of the Faith??

Crommwell??? i think,,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join