It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British and Scottish towns raise Palestinian flag in a sign of solidarity.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

if they indeed removed the British flag,
and raised the Palestinian,,over and above,,,well,,
But if on different pole,,ok,, and lower,, would have to be lower,,,u know its part of the "sun set on the British Crown" , stuff.
, it would have made a difference,,at one time ,
,maybe its growth,,maturity,, i guess.

edit on 8/28/2014 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: KROandSOTV

Hey.

Wind your neck in. I love my country as much as any decent person in the British Isles. However, I do not see this gesture as anything else than recognition that people are suffering somewhere. Seeing that one flag, will naturally set people to thinking about ALL the places which contain people who are oppressed, who are being killed without mercy or relent. We SHOULD be capable of processing that in the manner intended, without spouting jingoistic nonsense, should have the compassion to take a moment and THINK about the issues being raised along with that flag.

Your inability to grasp this concept without feeling threatened by it, frankly makes me sick. It is not a mark of Britishness to be pig ignorant and thick headed!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

who are being killed without mercy or relent.

u mean like Islamic Levant,,>

could start there,,

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Yes, that would also be a perfectly good route to take for an awareness campaign.

However, ANY recognitition of these matters by officialdom, anything that makes people stop and take a moment to THINK about these issues, has got to be better than the same old, business as usual, head in the sand crap, that we have been living through. Our government has been singularly flacid in the face of all the global events which are happening at the moment.

Would I like to see a Ukranian flag? Sure. Would I like to see the flag of Iraq raised to raise awareness of the plight of people there? Yes. Syrian flag....eh... the government which owns that flag is currently in the middle of performing chemical weapons assaults on its own people so... no, but there are other ways to raise awareness for that location, and those methods should be enacted too!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Typical left wing response with the insults
mate cant be arsed to debate with some one like you.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: KROandSOTV

That is a very effective tactic I am sure. Refusing to engage with people because their opinion is different to your own, and because you got called out for showing too little wit to understand the gesture referred to in the OP for what it actually was. Very smooth.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Sorry, got to disagree with you there - an increasing number of people have similar views, the vast majority of whom would never be found anywhere near an EDL or Britain First demonstration.

I'll agree to disagree then pal.
I appreciate that people feel that way, I just see it a fear-mongering in the community to be honest.
I fully respect people who would never associate with the EDL though... 😁👍

As has been pointed the correct figure is around 56% - but its still a valid point isn't it?

I don't think it is a valid point...
As well as the fact that Palestine also has a Christian population...
It's 34%... That's a far cry from 90% as was wrongly put across to the board...
Again I see it as fear-mongering!

If individuals choose to express their support for the people of Gaza etc by flying the Palestinian flag then that is entirely up to them and I would support their right to do so.

What if the council decide they want to support another Nation...
What if it was a well requested gesture from the community towards the council...

We need more information before we can say it's not official!

Of course its a feeble gesture, and most people recognise that - which is why it brings allegations of it being an empty gesture aimed at only 'currying favour' with a large section of the electorate.

If the other 66% feel like you, that this is to be seen as pandering to Muslim voters, surely it will affect there chances in election...
The idea of a political move is to pander to the whole of the constituency surely...
& like I said Palestine has a vast range of Christians & Muslims, much like Tower Hamlets!

Bless you anyway Freeborn, always interesting to hear your opinion!!!

edit on 29-8-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct... It's always an important word they change!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
For some reason I'm reminded of this:

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'm from Preston - the first UK City to raise the flag.

The flag was raised after locals submitted an application to the Council for the flag to be flown in solidarity with the innocents in Palestine - it was in no way 'taking sides'.

We're a pretty progressive City who raised the first LGBT Flag, Jamaican Independence Flag, Workers Rights, Trade Unions etc...and long may it continue.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm curious, why "Scottish and British towns"?

Surely one and the same?

Anyhoo, smacks of a cheap political gimmick to appease local demographics if you ask me. While I am no Israel fan, Hamas et al are no better. If they could just over the whole "my god is better than your god", things would be a whole lot better.

posted on Aug, 30 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
BTW... The Union Jack is a symbol of imperialistic crusades & slavery...

No, it isn't, with the British Empire taking the lead in the abolishment of slavery and actively hunting down slave ships in the Atlantic. I am curious as to what "imperialistic" (is that even a word?) crusades the UK has been on.

Btw, it's only the Union Jack when flown from a ship - otherwise it is simply the Union Flag.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join