It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soon marijuana to be legalized

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Australian researchers have found a chemical inside marijuana known as cannabidiol (CBD) which appears to relieve psychosis, depression and anxiety. Australian government under pressure to legalize marijuana.

Now marijuana could be used to TREAT and PREVENT schizophrenia, as the Government faces increasing pressure to legalise cannabis for medicinal use.

A compound in marijuana could soon be tested on young Australians to treat psychosis and schizophrenia

Researchers suggest CBD could have fewer side effects than other drugs

Pressure mounts of governments in Australia to legalise marijuana for medicinal purposes

Hope to commence a new trial soon

Survey of more than 3,000 Australians found 65.9% support legalising cannabis for medicinal purposes

Medicinal marijuana continues to be a contentious debate, but now a compound found in Marijuana could soon be tested on young Australians to prevent and treat psychosis. European researchers have suggested it could treat schizophrenia and be much more effective than other drugs by having fewer side effects.It comes as pressure continues to mount on state and federal governments in Australia to legalise the drug for medicinal purposes.

A plastic bag of skunk cannabis. Will marijuana be able to treat and prevent pyschosis and schizophrenia?
Leading psychiatrist and mental health advocate Patrick McGorry told The Age, that one part of the drug was showing promise as an anti-psychotic medicine.

Australian of the Year, Professor Patrick McGorry (pictured) says one part of marijuana is showing promise as an anti-psychotic medicine
The director of Orygen Youth Health Research Centre and 2010 Australian of the year said while tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis was widely thought to be dangerous and increase the risk of psychosis in about 10 per cent to 20 per cent of people, another component - cannabidiol (CBD) - appeared to relieve psychosis, depression and anxiety.

More...
You don't have to be stick thin to be anorexic, warn experts: Fivefold increase in 'normal weight' teens being admitted to hospital with the eating disorder. Mother discovers her daughter's 'ear infection' is actually LEUKAEMIA after turning to Google in desperation McGorry's team are hoping to trial pharmaceutical CBD in young people showing signs of early psychosis to see how it compared to other antipsychotic medications, which often cause undesirable side effects. 'There's been a lot more concern in recent times about antipsychotic medication. Obviously it's really effective, but the longer term side effects are worrying people, especially weight gain and metabolic problems,' Professor McGorry told The Age. 'People are willing to try more experimental treatments that have got some promise and cannabidiol is definitely one of those.' There's hope to commence a new trial soon with an application already in for government funding. McGorry does believe the plant possesses both bad and good qualities, saying they should not be confused. 'We're definitely not saying smoke dope to treat psychosis,' he said. He suggests if a trial were to be set up it would only involve the compound CBD. Cannabis expert, Jan Copeland has given her support to more studies of CBD being used for people with early stage psychosis. Marijuana cannabis plant leaves Annapurna Region Nepal. A compound found in Marijuana could soon be tested on young Australians to prevent and treat psychosis

Marijuana cannabis plant leaves Annapurna Region Nepal. A compound found in Marijuana could soon be tested on young Australians to prevent and treat psychosis Cannabis expert Jan Copeland (pictured) has given her support to more studies of CBD being used for people with early stage psychosis The director of the University of NSW's National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre described CBD as a 'very interesting part of the complex cannabis chemistry' that does not get people stoned, but rather appears to balance the effects of THC, which makes some people anxious. She also told The Age, 'there was a small, but growing number of studies suggesting CBD relieved psychosis, anxiety and insomnia, and that her team was trialling it in about 10 people withdrawing from cannabis use to see if it helped them through the process.' But the search for CBD in street cannabis hasn't been encouraged. 'It has high levels of THC, around 15 per cent now, but almost no CBD, so it's definitely not the same thing as smoking cannabis,' she said. In July, market researchers, Reach tel, conducted a survey of more than 3,000 Australia's asking them the question : Do you support the legislation of cannabis for medicinal purposes? The majority would support the move at 65.9 percent, 14.4 percent said they would oppose the legislation and 19.7 percent were undecided on the issue.

The pharmaceutical industry has no interest in Marijuana because it can not be patented. They don't care about your way of life .... they only care about profits..........greed at its finest. Current medication for anxiety and depression have life threatening side effects that can lead to suicide. Marijuana could be the answer to these illnesses.

I guess if marijuana becomes legal around the world ATS will have to make changes to their T&C.

Should marijuana be legalized? What is your opinion?
edit on 28-8-2014 by Jesuslives4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

Yes, it should be legalized. Anyone and everyone should be allowed to grow it. Don't regulate it. Its a plant. And for those who say kids shouldn't smoke it, your right, and there isn't a lick of legislation in the world that would prevent it. It isn't preventing underaged use now!

Legalization will cripple organized crime and allow people to deal with their ailments on their own terms. So again, crippling organized crime, aka big pharma.

Take responsibility for what you think and do. Don't be a victim of cultural influences.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Watch Marijuana become legal and destroy big pharma sales, than gangs will be making makeshift oxy pills to sell since not everyone and there mother will be prescribed pills as such.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
If any Australian Polly is reading this post then read my proverbial lips...

Put this on the Ballot and you will witness a landslide victory worthy of the history books.

Enough is enough, the money pigs have had their day - this plant belongs to US.

It should be illegal to make it illegal!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Jesuslives4u

I am amazed Osborne has not pushed for it to be legal in the UK and Taxable being the operative world.

Contry to what the experts tell you, cannabis calms and mellows - too much makes youy lazy but - so do most prescribed anti depressants etc.

Cannabis only because illegal in order for the pharmas to introduce aspirin which we all know is a contributing factor to stomach cancer.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Yes, it should be legalized. Anyone and everyone should be allowed to grow it

Please understand what is said, read the article.

University of NSW's National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre described CBD as a 'very interesting part of the complex cannabis chemistry' that does not get people stoned, but rather appears to balance the effects of THC, which makes some people anxious. She also told The Age, 'there was a small, but growing number of studies suggesting CBD relieved psychosis, anxiety and insomnia,and that her team was trialling it in about 10 people withdrawing from cannabis use to see if it helped them through the process.

This is about medicine to treat cannabis users who are suffering from above mentioned illnesses by use of cannabis in the smoking form and other illnesses.

This isn't about people who want's to grow or smoke it.

McGorry does believe the plant possesses both bad and good qualities, saying they should not be confused. 'We're definitely not saying smoke dope to treat psychosis,' he said. He suggests if a trial were to be set up it would only involve the compound CBD

edit on 28-8-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
God damn I await this day.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It should've never been made illegal to begin with. Just look at history, how the US gov pushed psy-op agendas/lies to make it seem like a dangerous, addictive, life-destroying drug. This is how these liars work. All so they can make money on really dangerous pharma pills. It's psychotic. They are responsible for human suffering, as far as I'm concerned. Legalize it the world over.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

In this particular instance you are factually correct about the article however, it is a plant with many other amazing properties I'm sure you are familiar with.

Statistically, more people would have adverse reactions to shellfish than smoking weed, imo.

But those same people can benefit from this plant in other ways ranging from clothing to textiles and yes, maybe even the golden cure for cancer.

Legalise it, put it to a vote in every country on the planet that asks.

edit on 28-8-2014 by CyberSonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CyberSonic

I agree that it should be legalized for medicinal use, but for smoking it's pointless and can create more harm than good, unfortunately the T and C won't allow me to speak about it, but trust me, i have seen way to many people become zombies from smoking, though some seems to go unharmed as they can control their usage of the plant.

The clothing or textile is a niche product, it ain't going to change much as there are other products and plants that do better or same.

So all we are left with is the medicinal use which is useful from this plant, and that can be done by isolating the various ingredients within the plant and produce medicine, then we are back at pharma taking the cake.

And of course there is also some minor usage of the plant for other things, like the superconductors in batteries.

Statistically, more people would have adverse reactions to shellfish than smoking weed, imo.

People getting sick from shellfish, stay away from shellfish in the future, people who smoke and get sick think they can cure it by smoking more as they don't recognize the smoking as the cause and many times are addicted and can't stop...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Yes, it should be legalized. Anyone and everyone should be allowed to grow it

Please understand what is said, read the article.

University of NSW's National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre described CBD as a 'very interesting part of the complex cannabis chemistry' that does not get people stoned, but rather appears to balance the effects of THC, which makes some people anxious. She also told The Age, 'there was a small, but growing number of studies suggesting CBD relieved psychosis, anxiety and insomnia,and that her team was trialling it in about 10 people withdrawing from cannabis use to see if it helped them through the process.

This is about medicine to treat cannabis users who are suffering from above mentioned illnesses by use of cannabis in the smoking form and other illnesses.

This isn't about people who want's to grow or smoke it.

McGorry does believe the plant possesses both bad and good qualities, saying they should not be confused. 'We're definitely not saying smoke dope to treat psychosis,' he said. He suggests if a trial were to be set up it would only involve the compound CBD

I don't see how it would matter either way. These studies are ridiculous, in the sense they go back and forth and try and prove themselves "clinically". Alcohol is legal. Tobacco is legal. How are they any less of a danger than marijuana? Why does the state determine what people should and shouldn't consume? Insanity continues to rule the day. Booze and cigs still lead to the number one illnesses in the western world.

That said, you can't treat anything with tobacco, maybe a few things with beer. So how is marijuana bad for society? Why the need for it to prove itself to be "safe for consumption"?

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Alcohol is legal. Tobacco is legal

True, and when used excessively they are very bad, so is weed when used excessively, though not directly deadly.

Why does the state determine what people should and shouldn't consume?

So with that logic we should legalize coc aine and heroin and other completely natural drugs to, because it should be up to the people themself to decide whether or not to use it., you see the big flaw in that. (I'm not comparing them to weed)

How are they any less of a danger than marijuana?

They are not, but should be used as an example of the bad effect of releasing something for the people them self to decide to use or not.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
If any Australian Polly is reading this post then read my proverbial lips...

Put this on the Ballot and you will witness a landslide victory worthy of the history books.

Enough is enough, the money pigs have had their day - this plant belongs to US.

It should be illegal to make it illegal!!!

Loved your post! You should consider running for office (politics). I totally agree with everyone (so far) Legalize it. After reading a few reports on Colorado and crime is at all time low. Taxation brought in over 100 milion dollars! Aggressive people need weed!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Many many phones ago I used to read a forum app dedicated to a certain plant. The funny stories on that forum would keep me up all night giggling. Sometimes so loud i would wake my kids up. Any changes that could bring that here would totally kick the jokes area out of the water!

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jesuslives4u

The pharmaceutical industry has no interest in Marijuana because it can not be patented.

Monsanto would beg to differ.

Should marijuana be legalized? What is your opinion?

Absolutely! All drugs should be legal. But thanks to guaranteed occupancy rates in privatized prisons, such a policy will never make it to the federal level here in the states.

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yes, marijuana should be legalized. Not just "aggressive" people, but angry people, depressed people, spiritual seekers, etc. need weed.

I am a person prone to anxiety and depression - it runs in my family. I know what works and what doesn't.

Legalize it Worldwide. For adults only as a recreational drug. Even if people say they only use it "recreationally", that doesn't actually mean it isn't HELPING them. Just like use of alcohol and tobacco, it is Self-medication, and it's effective. If the NWO wants people to succumb to their plans, then LET THE PEOPLE SMOKE WEED....it will help them chill out and just say

Whatever.

It's so stupid to forbid it.

As for the member who said they see it causing zombieism - well, it depends on what strain one uses. Some do help a person relax - others promote creativity, and energy, and focus. And happiness.

edit on 8/28/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

Alcohol is legal. Tobacco is legal

True, and when used excessively they are very bad, so is weed when used excessively, though not directly deadly.

Why does the state determine what people should and shouldn't consume?

So with that logic we should legalize coc aine and heroin and other completely natural drugs to, because it should be up to the people themself to decide whether or not to use it., you see the big flaw in that. (I'm not comparing them to weed)

How are they any less of a danger than marijuana?

They are not, but should be used as an example of the bad effect of releasing something for the people them self to decide to use or not.

Again, coc aine and heroine are already illegal... Sure as hell doesn't stop the people who want it from using it. And I highly doubt you would see a spike in use if you were to decriminalize them. If people want to try it...they already have and no law will stop them...ever.

I don't see your point. Honestly, it seems that you are regurgitating propaganda from the war on drugs and making assumptions. Will people abuse them? Yes, but people also abuse sugar and deep fried foods too. I don't see anyone loosing their mind about that. And those are WAY more harmful to society.

Decriminalize ALL "drugs". Then the biggest problem of them all (cartels) will likely all disappear... Or they just find another form of illegal trade. Also, the police will likely be much less corrupt. Because this is ultimately a public health issue, not a legal issue.

Since when is it a crime to do as you please with your own body and mind? What happened to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Terrence McKenna made a point to say thay If that doesn't include the right to experiment with you own mind, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp its written on.

Why is there a perceived authority over experiences? Hmmmm, could it have spawned out of religious dogma? Likely.

Legalize the plant!

edit on thpamThu, 28 Aug 2014 11:30:22 -0500k1408America/Chicago2830 by Sparkymedic because: names

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7
cannabis was made illegal because it was too useful , pharma was afraid of people self medicating , hurst was afraid that it would hurt his profits from paper and trees , dupoint was afraid that is was better than his polymer , oil companies was afraid it could take over from their oil wells , textile companies was afraid that could make better materials that were more hard wearing than what they could produce .

the list goes on .

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

and making assumptions

Ahem...

And I highly doubt you would see a spike in use if you were to decriminalize them

You are assuming...

Decriminalize ALL "drugs". Then the biggest problem of them all (cartels) will likely all disappear

You are assuming again.
yes, lets completly ignore the useless drug addicts that will roam the streets doing nothing for society....Great idea

Or they just find another form of illegal trade.

Another assumption, though you are probably right... Unless we legalize everything, then there will be no illegal stuff going on and everything will be fine and dandy.

Since when is it a crime to do as you please with your own body and mind?

When it cost the rest of the taxpayers in the society to repair your stupidity of destroying your self and you can't control what you are doing, very very few drug addicts has a normal life or a job and is then paid for by the rest of society.

Legalize the plant!

I agree, and make some awesome medicines...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Best thread I ever star and flagged on ATS.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join