It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALS Ice Bucket Haters

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
So many haters on ATS lol. I don't see why people even care. So what people are dumping ice on themselves and challenging others to do it, all for a good cause..

And it does raise money. I did the silly ass icebucket challenge Saturday, it was 100 degrees here so it was not that hard a decision.

But I gave ten dollars to do it, and I have never donated to ALS before Saturday. So I would say its a great thing even if it is stupid lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Sure, it raised a ton of money. Of only which 8% goes to ALS research. Most will end up in the pockets of Foundation employees or spent on raising more money for the foundation. And they do animal testing. Awesome. I can't wait until the stupid trend dies. Make a difference. Donate time and money locally.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I dislike this trend, not because it wastes water, but because I generally have much distaste for the entire style of campaign. I get that people want to help, but the fundraiser campaigns that are designed to guilt-trip people into handing their money into private coffers really irk me. If you want to help a sick person, find one and support them. Sending my money to a corporation who profits from sickness is counter-productive. If you want to have fun and throw water on yourself, that's fine and we'll all have a laugh, just don't kid yourself into thinking you're doing the world a favour. Not buying the 'awareness' angle either. I'm yet to see a challenge video that explains a single thing about ALS. Maybe I'm just a miser and perhaps a little cold-hearted, but that's my take and no-one has to like it. I'm not even gonna start on Gene Patenting, a horrid little extension of the 'Research' Market.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

I have a disease many people, if not most have ever heard of. It's not ALS or anything, what I have wont kill me, but it is as debilitating as it gets... there is little to no research on it - and almost no awareness of it, and no cure.

The smallest little breakthrough's in treatments etc can mean the world to someone with a disease, any disease.

For the part of the patients with ALS, they are probably crying tears of joy that some money might go toward helping them, or someone like them, have just a little bit more comfort in this life. For them, this ice bucket challenge is a miracle. For them, it matters not that some people just want to be on Facebook. For them, it means a better quality of life someday - if not for them then for someone just like them.

It's so upsetting to see people angry because someone suffering terribly might get their voice heard, for a change, and some money raised to help them.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
True Cahrity is Anonymous. Youtube/FB/view count are just vanity, which most of them are.

If you guys seen Patrick Stewarts response to the Ice Bucket Challenge, that is something i can agree with. Rest are pure vanity.

For people who havnt seen it; He writes a check, puts it on the table, takes a glass, adds two cubes of ice and pours scotch and drinks it.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Bottom line is people are injuring themselves with this challenge- particularly children.

The temptation to do it "bigger and better" than everyone else just seems too much to resist for some.

Sad commentary that in order to generate interest in a charitable cause we need to tap into the JACKASS mentality some find so appealing.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
So many haters on ATS lol. I don't see why people even care. So what people are dumping ice on themselves and challenging others to do it, all for a good cause..

A good "cause"? Probably. A good "effect"? Who knows.

I have an issue with donating to research for diseases. Take cancer as an example. How much money does Relay for Life raise every year? Where does that money go? And why, with all our charitable research money does chemo still cost $20k/dose? Yes, thats right...$20,000 a dose. I shudder to think what life saving medication would cost us if we weren't doing bake sales to help raise money to offset research costs.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join