It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS 'betraying' Muslims, Calgary imam says before hunger strike

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

People love trying to make others step to their tune don't they?

The point is that he needed to do something to get the coverage.

You want him to pick up a rifle and fight them?

Then you would say "religion of peace my eye"

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
that may be true, but knowing isis for what they appear to be, im sure he knows they are not going to stop there actions because this guy stops eating. a reply to: skunkape23

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

He isn't trying to get other Muslims to band together and fight IS...

ISIS is a threat, not just to Muslims. It's not a religion thing, well it is if you're ISIS...
It's like saying " Let the Christians band together and fight ISIS.." It's silly.

ISIS are the religious fanatics, not the Muslims who get slaughter by ISIS, not the Yazidis, not the Christians. It's religious fanatics killing regular folks from different religion.

You are dancing on ISIS propaganda tunes if you think " Muslims " only should fight them.

edit on 22-8-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

Where are all the so called peace minded Muslims? Shouldn't they be coming out and condemning ISIS for this brutal and appalling beheading? If they don't want their religion to be ridiculed or hated by non-Muslims, they need to stop sitting on their hands and make the world know they don't condone killings or terrorism. Silence and inaction speaks volumes when this is done in the name of Islam. Belonging to a religion that condones beheadings is just plain evil.

edit on 22-8-2014 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: demus

Muslims have spoken against ISIS and are continuing to do so.

if it's not reported by whatever news you follow it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I didn't say no one is speaking against them. I said going without food for 2 days accomplishes absolutely nothing except giving this guy a reason to pat himself on the back.

Don't put words into my internet mouth.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Some are being peaceful at home probably concerned about what people around them are thinking about them and possibly likely to do against them due to all the negative crap spewed on internet forums and newspapers.

Some of them are at home living in fear of what is happening in their countries which in many cases have been destabilised by the west and have suffered the death and maiming of many family and friends by other so called Muslims, or by Western bombing and drone strikes.

Some of them are fighting Isis.

Some are living in peaceful Islamic countries.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I applaud the Imam

I sincerely hope that every Muslim who hears about this,
calls their local TV station
and says "I'm joining the Imam"
and the movement spreads like wildfire throughout the entire world

It is the only way Islam will not be stained forever as Christians are by the Crusades in the eyes of the entire world.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

People love trying to make others step to their tune don't they?

The point is that he needed to do something to get the coverage.

You want him to pick up a rifle and fight them?

Then you would say "religion of peace my eye"

Again, people on this website are the worst about taking a post, twisting the meaning, and forming an incorrect opinion of the poster based on their own bias. You don't know me.

When I say "fight IS", that has a lot of meanings that don't necessarily involve picking up a rifle.

I'm personally not a fan of any religion. I think they're all equally guilty of ruining our society and hindering advancement.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
1 is proud to see him and many other Muslims like he trying to do his/their best to keep the Islamic name in positive settings within the mind states of many observing.

Its not always easy LIGHTING the way for others. If more behavior like this was applied the core issues would be circled and segregated from those Muslims truly seeking to make it home/HEAVEN no matter how home is perceived...

Good luck Islamic brethren

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
NAMASTE*******
edit on 8/22/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

He is the leader of 1500 people and today is Friday, so yeah, he will have informed his congregation of his intentions and his reasons for doing so. In speaking out strongly against ISIS he has initiated and is guiding the dialogue within his mosque and by his TV appearances set an example for other imams to follow throughout the country. I honestly don't understand your negativity about his actions. I would like the government to do more to liaise more Islamic communities into having more open dialogue and encourage them to take a stronger stand against ISIS.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13
1 is proud to see him and many other Muslims like he trying to do his/their best to keep the Islamic name in positive settings within the mind states of many observing.

Its not always easy LIGHTING the way for others. If more behavior like this was applied the core issues would be circled and segregated from those Muslims truly seeking to make it home/HEAVEN no matter how home is perceived...

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
NAMASTE*******

Thank you for your post.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Any time my friend

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yeah because the Bible told the US government to make up lies and bomb the crap out of Iraq and Afghanistan.. The Bible told the CIA to run weapons in Libya after the Bible also told Europe and America to uproot Gadaffi. The Bible also thought it was in the best interests of the world for the West to arm Jihadi groups who proclaim to be representing the Bible's sister religion Islam and slaughter innocent civilians in Syria and round 2 in Iraq again. All the above are very religious aren't they? Have you ever read a religious book?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Ah ,how ZEN and equally impotent.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
NAMASTE*******

If everyone looked at this the way you do, the world would be a much better place...

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I think the media should stop giving terrorists a voice. Stop spreading their message, that's what they depend on. Even if they commit some atrocity the news could just say "a bunch of people were killed when a bus exploded today" period.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I would hope that this man is honest, but I have seen too much of these games played , so i will wait and see how it moves forward, games in games in games until noone know the truth.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

It's a shame that so may posters say "Where are the Muslims speaking out about extremism?", and then an Imam manages to get their opposition to this into the media (not an easy task i am sure), and yet still some people find reason to be dissatisfied with that.

People are dissatisfied because he's not really doing anything. He isn't trying to get other Muslims to band together and fight IS... he's not going to eat for 2 days. How does that help?

It's like the people who say they're giving something up until gay marriage is legal and it's something stupid like "I'm not drinking coke until gay marriage is legal!" Come on, really? It's a symbolic action so a bunch of lazy people can pat themselves on the back for doing NOTHING to actually solve a problem. No different than the idiotic cancer walks.

I respectfully disagree --about the part that he's not really doing anything. I agree that a 2-day fast is largely symbolic, in that he won't suffer more than a growly tummy, but symbols can be quite powerful to people. (Look how outraged people get when their country's flag is burned... a piece of cloth with colors and shapes. Or the 10 Commandments erected in a public place... marks chiseled in a slab of stone.)

It's not the thing itself (the 2-day fast, the flag, the slab of stone) that matters, it's what it stands for. The Imam has stated the meaning of his symbolic act. I applaud his willingness to speak out, and to back up his words with this gesture, however minor it may seem. Because mostly people just spout stuff for the limelight. (Politicians come to mind here.)

Put another way... if he had instead announced a symbolic celebratory feast to honor the killings, people would feel disgust at that symbolism. Because symbolism can be quite powerful.

This is just my opinion, and I do not aim change yours, or make you 'wrong.' I get what you are saying. Really. I just feel it differently is all. Here's hoping a whopping majority of Muslims do as well!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Could this be the tipping point, that will bring people of all walks of life together for the common good,

Fighting A force so wicked that people can lay down their differences?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

It's a shame that so may posters say "Where are the Muslims speaking out about extremism?", and then an Imam manages to get their opposition to this into the media (not an easy task i am sure), and yet still some people find reason to be dissatisfied with that.

I am one of the people that has criticized the muslim world for not speaking out loudly against terrorism. I find this Imam's actions to be a step in the right direction, and I'm glad that muslims are speaking out against ISIS. They are doing it everywhere, too. On the web, in the media, and hopefully in their own mosques. Muslims brave enough to stand up to ISIS and their ilk deserve respect from people of other faiths (and people of no faith).

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join