It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS 'betraying' Muslims, Calgary imam says before hunger strike

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

A Calgary imam will start a 48-hour hunger strike Friday evening to protest the ISIS beheading of an American journalist in Iraq this week.

Imam Syed Soharwardy, founder of Muslims Against Terrorism and the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, says he wants to draw attention to the actions of ISIS and that their violent activities show they are not Muslims.

ISIS 'betraying' Muslims, Calgary imam says before hunger strike

I'm happy to see a Muslim Imam dissociating himself with ISIS, and making a huge statement about it.

No need to say, ISIS does NOT represent Islam or Muslims at all. Then again, I'm pretty sure the majority of ATS members know and understand that fact.

We often hear people say Muslims need to denounce terrorists and their extremist ideology, well there you go...

ISIS needs to disappear from our world ASAP.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: samsamm9

Good for this guy....

Its a sad state of affairs and ISIS poses as much of a threat to other Muslims as it does any other religion, or non religion for that matter.

I hope we see more standing with him, this could make him and his family a target, my thoughts and prayers will be with them all......

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The cruel irony of IS/ISIS and their disgusting ilk is that they hurt ordinary Muslims more than anyone.

They hurt ordinary Muslims who don't agree with them with violence, and then ordinary Muslims in the rest of the world by making people think all Muslims are like IS/ISIS.

I'm not a religious man myself, but I think Allah will be bloody furious with these animals. I don't reckon there'll be any virgins or heaven for 'men' that kill innocent men, women and children.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Good for this guy....

Its a sad state of affairs and ISIS poses as much of a threat to other Muslims as it does any other religion, or non religion for that matter.

I hope we see more standing with him, this could make him and his family a target, my thoughts and prayers will be with them all......

Thanks for contributing to the thread ManBehindTheMask.

I doubt he could be target in Canada. I doubt there are many Muslims in Canada who give support to those sick misguided ISIS, but of course you never know.

ISIS is a threat to humanity and ALL Muslims I know says exactly that.

You and I both will be praying for him and his family.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
So the latest fad is the 4 day water fast.... and this Imam thinks he is making some great show of support by laying off food for 2 days?
Nice that he is making more effort than most 'moderate' Muslims, but I don't think it is that impressive.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
48 hours is not a hunger strike. It's called a short fast.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Agreed, I hope many, many more Imams come out to voice their support of Imam Syed Soharwardy's stance on terrorism. The more religious and community leaders stand together to condone murder, the louder their voice.

Good luck and warm wishes to this man,

B x

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It's a shame that so may posters say "Where are the Muslims speaking out about extremism?", and then an Imam manages to get their opposition to this into the media (not an easy task i am sure), and yet still some people find reason to be dissatisfied with that.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus
The cruel irony of IS/ISIS and their disgusting ilk is that they hurt ordinary Muslims more than anyone.

They hurt ordinary Muslims who don't agree with them with violence, and then ordinary Muslims in the rest of the world by making people think all Muslims are like IS/ISIS.

I'm not a religious man myself, but I think Allah will be bloody furious with these animals. I don't reckon there'll be any virgins or heaven for 'men' that kill innocent men, women and children.

Exactly.

I consider myself a secular progressive Muslim and I'd be the first to be crucified by these sick puppies since they would see me as an unbeliever infidel and in their view there is no such thing as "secularism" or "progressive Islam".

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

It's a shame that so may posters say "Where are the Muslims speaking out about extremism?", and then an Imam manages to get their opposition to this into the media (not an easy task i am sure), and yet still some people find reason to be dissatisfied with that.

I guess I did kind of wise ass off.
Good for him. It's got to start somewhere.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I know right. Actually American, British, Canadian Muslim associations always condemns terror and terrorist attack made by so called Muslims.

None so deaf as those who will not hear.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I hope he gets more people to join him too!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I think Canada has had some Muslim activism that has stopped sharia and chosen the more peace and freedom here. The US is far more polarized and is harder to do this.

Moderate Muslims are being targetted.
edit on 22-8-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: samsamm9

I know right. Actually American, British, Canadian Muslim associations always condemns terror and terrorist attack made by so called Muslims.

ISIS has been denounced by many Islamic scholars and authorities, Fatwas has been issued; as far as I know in Jordan and in Indonesia, and in other countries as well but for those two I am sure.

but the problem is that is very hard to find the news about it...

of course, just a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Calgary has been identified as one of the major recruitment hotspots in Canada, so it's great that his voice is being heard. I saw the interview with him and he is very strongly denouncing ISIS as not being any part of Islam. Good for him. Now if only other imams would do the same so that his message is not the only one like that, maybe it will have more impact on the ones who join ISIS and justify it as being part of their religion.

From your source:

'They are deviant people, and they are doing exactly everything which goes against Islam.'

There is also a CTV clip here. CTV link
edit on 22-8-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ive been tough on them here at ATS but I am glad to see this.
It took guts for him to step up. I hope it becomes a trend.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

People are dissatisfied because he's not really doing anything. He isn't trying to get other Muslims to band together and fight IS... he's not going to eat for 2 days. How does that help?

It's like the people who say they're giving something up until gay marriage is legal and it's something stupid like "I'm not drinking coke until gay marriage is legal!" Come on, really? It's a symbolic action so a bunch of lazy people can pat themselves on the back for doing NOTHING to actually solve a problem. No different than the idiotic cancer walks.
edit on 8/22/2014 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Muslims have spoken against ISIS and are continuing to do so.

if it's not reported by whatever news you follow it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: demus

originally posted by: samsamm9

ISIS has been denounced by many Islamic scholars and authorities, Fatwas has been issued; as far as I know in Jordan and in Indonesia, and in other countries as well but for those two I am sure.

but the problem is that is very hard to find the news about it...

of course, just a coincidence.

Well that's true, there is never a lot of news coverage about it. But still, in the internet era there is no excuse, the info is there if you make an honest effort to look for it.

I don't need a poll to tell me that the vast majority of humans want to live in peace, regardless of what religion they are.

Who the ##ck would want their loved ones living in this hellish "Caliphate" ? You seriously got to have some serious psychopathic tendencies if that's how you want to live your life.

edit on 22-8-2014 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Will the real leaders please stand up........Well we have one and I like it. This is what real leadership looks like.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join