It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will unsubsidized Federal Health Exchange coverage cost you per month?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Hello everyone! I'm enjoying some much needed time off during my summer vacation so I've been a bit scarce here lately. Scarce doesn't mean I'm not around and working on one thing or another though. Tonight I finished up on something I've been working on for awhile now.

Recent court decisions have both supported and ruled against subsidies for citizens in states which did not cooperate for their own exchanges. Withholding these was originally meant as a stick to 'encourage' the states to play ball and go with the program. Over 30 states chose not to play in this mess and just said no.

The sheer number came as a surprise, no doubt, and so an impromptu change to how the law would work is how the subsidies came to be paid to those in the federal exchange states at all. It wasn't meant to work that way, and may yet still be overturned in a higher court.

What will it cost if this is overturned and people in the 30+ states face their premium costs without subsidy? Well, I can't say what 2015 will be. No one can, as that data set isn't formalized yet, to my knowledge. (......everyone was aware that rates for 3 dozen states are set in a coordinated and fixed pricing grid right? If not..now you certainly are.)

The following numbers come from the healthcare.gov website. The data categories selected for my charts come from an earlier version of the QHP individual landscape. The numbers match what is in the version available on the site now, and which was released 03/31/14 before the 2014 open enrollment was closed. The latest version online has a much wider selection of categories/scenarios and can be found at the above link. Dental and State exchanges (not a part of these charts) are also available there in raw data form.

Anyway, on with what your 2014 bill would have been and the bare min. it may be next year (all reports I've seen say higher rates are a given).

The +2's represent the 2 statistical children allowed for in the rate for that category. Within the most recent version online now, these lines are also included as part of the instructions:

Premium amounts do not include tax credits that will lower premiums for many consumers applying for insurance, specifically those with income up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level.
File Source

It's also important to note that the min. costs shown above usually came from the Catastrophic-Only level of plan. Bronze was higher in most, if not all cases. The Max number was taken from Gold or Platinum, whichever existed as the higher to show as a base rate.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Great charts Wrabbit. Have missed you dearly. Glad you jumped back in the rabbit hole.

Your rate for me in my State, is only $42.00 off from when I checked some time ago. As a single over 50, living in a rural area with only one provider available...I'd be in the poor house so fast it'd make my head spin. I'd have to sell my little home to make the payments. I don't qualify for any subsidies. Yet, I'm expected to pay for other people's subsidies, when I can't afford Obamacare my own damn self. The quote I got was higher than my old mortgage on my little home was.

I'll just have to stay healthy until I hit 65...

Des

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

In another thread I posted the following:

I recently had occasion to compare my private plan (which I pay in full myself) to the offered ACA plan in my area.

From what I recall, here were the differences:

Private= approx $850/mo
ACA= approx $1200/mo

Private= 80/20 coverage
ACA= 60/40 coverage

Private= $6000 deductible
ACA= $12000 deductible

Not to mention a SUBSTANTIAL difference in networks. Mine is PPO. ACA clearly isn't.

Can someone explain to me again how Obamacare improves things???

Healthcare reform has been nothing but a sham, imo.
edit on 24-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Mine is one of the highest on the chart. It comes as no surprise to me as I had checked more than once in hopes that I would be able to afford it.

I'm glad that a few people are loving it. Seriously. But so many more are being shafted.

This Obamacare is a joke of the highest order. There's nothing like being fined for not being able to afford something. On what planet does that make sense???

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Oh...Obamacare will work for you. You just have to quit your, job sell your home, and move to a housing project...or head to Mexico, change your name to Jose' and come back over the border.

Easy peasy...no?

Des

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

For what it's worth, there are a dozen or so columns of data to each plan row in the raw spreadsheets the data.healthcare.gov site has for public download. Included are those details, and most are listed as PPO.

Each plan also shows name, phone number and more. Every county, in each of those states has a sub-listing with each plan legally offered by exchange regulations for that specific state/county.

It's a very powerful data set they just set out there, given how much hassle it takes to see anything close to the same numbers from the front end of their site, if shown at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
There's nothing like being fined for not being able to afford something. On what planet does that make sense???

Welcome to the New America.

Wait for the garnishments that will come for those that don't pay the IRS those fines.

This nightmare is only just getting started.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   

When I compared the ACA network in my area to my own, there was no comparison.

And as I understand it, hospitals and physicians are also bailing in droves.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
There's nothing like being fined for not being able to afford something. On what planet does that make sense???

Welcome to the New America.

Wait for the garnishments that will come for those that don't pay the IRS those fines.

I'm just all a flutter waiting for that...

I agree with it just being the beginning. I think there will be mass casualties both physically, and literally before all is said and done. Nothing like a little collateral damage to reassure one that their government loves them.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
To add a little bit of perspective to how this is all set up, I checked the spreadsheet again, as it's downloaded from the .gov site and it's 78,380 rows long when fully expanded. Each line is a plan with a row of prices. Each plan level (Bronze, Silver Gold, gets it's own line and price row of course).

In checking one Wyoming county at random (Uinita) I counted 18 plans offered by what looked like 2 companies, each with their own sets of plan levels to choose from. It's a system only an accountant could love. I'm not, and sure don't. It's a mess.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Yup, the private insurance sites are the same.

Took me days to sort out what I wanted to do.

Can't imagine how some people are expected to figure this stuff out.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

loam, loam, loam, My Friend,,,, you're going to acquire the wrath of the Obama Faithful for your Hateful Talk,,,

Good For You!!!
I'm proud of you, keep your card handy.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: guohua

originally posted by: guohua
loam, loam, loam, My Friend,,,, you're going to acquire the wrath of the Obama Faithful for your Hateful Talk,,,

Where this issue is concerned, I frequently do.

*sigh*

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

To be honest, I just looked at where I fall onto their scale for my area and laughed out loud.

Really. I did!

What else is there to do? Minimum cost without Government handout to make it look cheaper (I.E...subsidy) is between $600 and over $700 per month. That's for a couple with 1 child at 40. It they assume we're healthy? Oh.. Better I just not know. I could get sick by too much laughter and can't afford it...eh?

Umm... My Mortgage is a few dollars over $500.

They simply aren't in the same reality I live in. They may as well tell me to pay the whole national debt. Both are as likely to happen in the reality I do inhabit. I can't "shave" out $700 a month. My current standard of living would be notably higher if I had such money to just toss around for this mandate.

Off to the stocks for this bunny. (holds paws out)

** By the way, the updated data set for 2015 is high on my list of things to check for regularly. I'll update on this thread with something similar when the October enrollment numbers are available.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
My Bunny Buddy,,,,, Crispy Brown and Tasty,,,,

OK, Obamacare needed to be Defunded earlier.
What is the Likelihood now of Defunding This Abortion?

It's so costly for the Honest people because.

Fake applicants were able to get subsidized insurance coverage in 11 of 18 attempts, according to a report from the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office. The agency conducted the sting operation to test the strength of the Affordable Care Act's eligibility-verification system.

The undercover investigators created fake identities by inventing Social Security numbers, income, and citizenship, and by counterfeiting documents.

Eleven of 12 fake online or telephone applications were approved, according to Bagdoyan. Five of six phone applications were successful, with the exception of one caller who declined to give a Social Security number. Six online applications were initially blocked by the verification system, but the investigators were able to find a workaround by going through the call center.

"The total amount of these credits for the 11 approved applications is about $2,500 monthly or about $30,000 annually," Bagdoyan said, according to a report from NBC. "We also obtained cost-sharing reduction subsidies, according to marketplace representatives, in at least nine of the 11 cases."

People that Honest To God need Subsidies,,,, don't get Subsidies, ever wonder why?
LINKY
edit on 24-7-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

To be honest, I just looked at where I fall onto their scale for my area and laughed out loud.

Really. I did!

Shocking, isn't it?

I keep wondering who are all these people that think Obamacare works? Every time I ask a supporter bloviating about how wonderful it is, it turns out they aren't actually on Obamacare. Rather, they're covered by employer subsidized plans.

I've also spoken to people who do need Obamacare and are supporters, but once they realized it was still too expensive, simply chose to do nothing. When I mention the penalty and suggest they at least get the minimal catastrophic coverage, I get "I don't think Obama or the government will come after us" or "we'll apply for some exemption".

???

These are not stupid people. They're educated, self-employed friends of mine. But they're choosing to be blind and still think Obamacare is great, because it must work for someone....

Depressing as hell.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

You know, people would likely have a reason to feel that way and be kinda 'meh' about the whole thing, but for one detail.

It was a brilliant twist they wrote into the PPACA bill. Really, I'll give them credit for that much.

They chose the biggest, baddest and most unforgiving folks the Goverment cuts a paycheck to, to enforce the painful end of this whole thing. The IRS. (cue dramatic music bit)

Louis Lerner and this current madness aside (they went through a big deal in the 90's too. Supposed to have made them kinder and gentler...see how that worked out?), those people not only would chase a man to and beyond death for $1.00 .......They actually DO that on a daily basis as a routine part of the IRS mission.

I agree..it is depressing to see people so worn and beaten down by false cries and scandals going nowhere, they've got no gas left to even properly research this monster which really is stomping right toward us. The raw numbers just tell the tale

.....and ponder this for a moment. There is no "worker" vs. "taker" on THIS system. All 330 million people get to pony up their pay for the cause. So.....if a majority get some form of subsidy? NO ONE is getting a subsidy. I mean, really. Stop and think about it. You cannot give EVERYONE a subsidy. It's not called a subsidy anymore. It's called a Pyramid scheme with a warped twist, and it used to be illegal in concept.
edit on 7/24/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

I've also spoken to people who do need Obamacare and are supporters, but once they realized it was still too expensive, simply chose to do nothing.

You talking about some of these folks?

I've come across some to and it's the same, they thought it would be FREE or they didn't think it'd cost them that much money.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Wait until the IRS starts to garnish their wages, put liens on everything they have a title to. They'll be like deer in the headlights.

Many don't understand exactly why the IRS was put in charge of this mess. So they can TAKE it from you when, and how they want. Not a damn thing can be done about it either. Some will argue the IRS can't take your home, car, income over Obamacare...just wait and see. Wait until they've run up a costly uninsured emergency stay in a hospital...bye bye home.

Des

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: guohua

People ...

My parents taught me that if something sounds to good to be true ... it's probably not. Passed that on to my kids BTW.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join