It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What bit my dad? Brown recluse?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Couldn't figure out where to put this, Survival forum seems like the right spot.

My dad just showed me this series of insect/spider bites on his inner bicep area, and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what it could be.

He said he noticed 3 small red dots there 5-6 days ago, figured they would just go away, and now he's debating whether or not to seek medical attention. He's been cleaning the area with alcohol and peroxide, but they just seem to be getting worse. They cover about an inch to an inch and a half in distance from first to last bite, and aren't raised up off the skin. They almost resemble "blood blisters", just minus the whole blister part, with blood kind of pooled under the skin. He said it burns a decent bit, it doesn't really itch much. They are slightly scabby toward the center, and they each seem to have a small pin size black dot in the center. This points me to a brown recluse, but I want to find out if it could be something else before he goes to get it checked out (he doesn't have insurance).

It's been 5-6 days since he noticed it, he just showed me earlier today, and I am finding a lot of conflicting information regarding brown recluse bites (and spider bites/insect bites in general).

I have seen spiders here quite often, I live in a rural area of Florida. From what I can tell it's not a brown recluse bite, since it's been 5 days I would expect a brown recluse bite to have gotten much worse, but the conflicting information and the 3 bites in a row has me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance to any information you guys can share!

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

The way the skin seems to be deteriorating around the bites certainly appear to be a brown recluse bite. It is the lack of swelling that makes me think it might be something else though. Although you said it has been five days, so perhaps the swelling went down?

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to see a doc though!

edit on 15-7-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Target bites....

Find Doctor Today.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Bedbugs?

Bed bug bites often occur in a unique bite pattern of a linear group of three or four, sometimes referred to as a “breakfast, lunch, dinner” pattern. Bedbug bites can occur singly but are often in this straight line pattern.

Source

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Target bites....

Find Doctor Today.

Not sure but I agree I would have a doc. check it out.
edit on 15-7-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

That definitely should be seen. The tissue appears necrotic- a big sign.

Not all people react to a brown recluse bite the same way. But early treatment, if necessary, is always better than later treatment.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kalunom
Bedbugs?

Bed bug bites often occur in a unique bite pattern of a linear group of three or four, sometimes referred to as a “breakfast, lunch, dinner” pattern. Bedbug bites can occur singly but are often in this straight line pattern.

Source

No. Those aren't from bedbugs.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Take him to a doctor and have those bites checked.
5 days and a bug bite shouldn't be looking like that.

Better to be safe than sorry.

I once had marks like that, but it was not from a bug bite, it was from getting caught between a plastic crocodile ride and the wall. Put perfect holes in my leg.

Take him to the doctor.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
It takes a good antibiotic to get those to go away if he got bit by a recluse. They get much worse than that. My neighbor wound up with a hole in his leg and I wound up with a good size scar. Ordering firewood from a place where these live is not a good idea. They are around here now, I suppose they got here on firewood, and cars. They used to be a hundred miles away and it only took about ten years to get here. I haven't seen any at our house, there are all kinds of spiders out here. Maybe the millions of wolf spiders kill them off. They are everywhere. Lots of Harvester spiders and also spiders that change color on the plants. They change from green to yellow to bluish. They are really cute. Some parachute around on threads of web too. Interesting animals.

He should go to a doctor, those don't look too good. Infection seems to be setting in. Hopefully they give him a good antibiotic right away.

edit on 15-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Not a common position for ticks, wouldn't rule it out though. They could be embedded completely under the skin.

If is is not getting better, get him to the doctor today.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Probably a Hobo spider. They are pretty common and sure to bite. Not as bad as a Recluse but still nasty as hell. Maybe check some of the bite images on google.
Here's the wiki
Hobo Spider

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Doesn't look like a brown recluse bite. His skin would be in far worse shape if it was, especially after 5-6 days. Looks like the bites are healing and without too much irritation.

My guess would be either red ants, hobo, or black widow spider bite.

I don't think black widow though so probably a hobo spider.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Not true:

Initially the bite site is mildly red and upon close inspection may reveal fang marks. Most commonly, the bite site will become firm and heal with little scaring over the next few days or weeks. Occasionally, the local reaction will be more severe with erythema and blistering, sometimes leading to a blue discoloration, and ultimately leading to a necrotic lesion and scarring. Signs that may be present include:

blistering (common),
necrosis (death) of skin and subcutaneous fat (less common), and
severe destructive necrotic lesions with deep wide borders (rare).

Link.

The problem with these bites is that it is different for everyone. I have read countless stories of people that started out with minor symptoms that weeks later developed into something much more serious.

In my view, the moment you start seeing dying tissue, I think it's time to seek a medical opinion.

edit on 15-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

It would be far cheaper for him to see a doctor now than to wait till it gets worse.

My mom got bit by a spider on her foot (unknown species) and the doctor drew a ring around it with a marker to see how much it grew/spread in 24 hrs. She ended up going for antibiotics intravenously for about 5 days.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If the man is diabetic (I don't think I saw anyone mention this) the wounds wouldn't heal very well either.

That is kind of what the bites remind me of,
a diabetic sore.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies everyone!

He's on his way to get it looked at after dinner. I'll post updates once I get a definitive answer if anyone's interested.

ETA:

originally posted by: Darkblade71
If the man is diabetic (I don't think I saw anyone mention this) the wounds wouldn't heal very well either.

That is kind of what the bites remind me of,
a diabetic sore.

Nope, he's a very healthy guy.

edit on 7/15/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Best of luck!

Will be checking back for updates.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Not trying to give medical advice but...
We've seen some horrible spider bites in my neck of the woods, and I've seen miraculous results after slathering the bite
with honey and aloe vera.
My dad got a bite on his elbow about 5 yrs ago. It was horrific. People were prompting him to go to the E.R.
He put a big dollup of local raw honey on some gauze, and taped it around his elbow. In 24 hours, there was only a little red dot (the actual bite mark!) on his elbow. That red dot healed within a few hours.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ironically, I was bitten by spiders on three separate occasions on consecutive days during the last week. Nothing serious, but definitely not fun.

Needless to say, spring cleaning came early for next year.

By the third night, I only managed to fall asleep because I convinced myself the odds were next to nothing that I'd be bitten the fourth night.

edit on 15-7-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

My sister who is a nurse,said she once had to admit some guy through the ER because of a brown recluse bite. He had waited a month before seeking treatment. Bad Idea, the longer you let it go,the deeper the damage is to surrounding tissue. They ended up cutting down in his lower arm,almost to the bone to get rid of all the decaying tissue. That is the only real treatment they have for it. They have to keep cutting till they are cutting into healthy tissue so the necrotic tissue is all gone and doesn't spread.

This has had plenty of time to heal up if it were a normal insect bite. He needs treatment right away. I have heard of some people having a particularly bad reaction to brown recluse bites,and even after treatment years later,they are still having parts of they're body decaying. Tell your father not to play with it. Its just not worth the risk.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join