It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkmenistan’s Door to Hell !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I never knew about this and I must say it is impressive; Check out the article for more details and pictures or watch the video.

When Soviet scientists discovered a cache of oil reserves near the town of Derweze in the Karakum Desert, drilling quickly commenced. When a drilling rig collapsed and created a crater, large amounts of methane were released. When the oilmen attempted to burn off the methane, it started a fire that still burns over forty years later.

sometimes-interesting.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

that's something. but there is one fire that's been burning longer than that, the Centralia Mine Fire in Centralia, Pennsylvania started in 1962 and still butning now.

here is a wiki.
Centralia, Pennsylvania

just go to show man can screw up things in the earth pretty bad.

edit on 14-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Star and Flag
Impressive find
Have you seen this?
Centralia mine fire

Centralia a borough and a near-ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 10 in 2010, as a result of the Centralia mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

jinix pinch poke you owe me a coke 1,2,3,

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

that's something. but there is one fire that's been burning longer than that, the Centralia Mine Fire in Centralia, Pennsylvania started in 1962 and still butning now.

here is a wiki.
Centralia, Pennsylvania

just go to show man can screw up things in the earth pretty bad.

I can trump that:
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14-7-2014 by PLAYERONE01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

jinix pinch poke you owe me a coke 1,2,3,

LMAO
Here you go.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
i heard about this before its been posted a few times!its unreal how much gas is down there how many homes that could heat. i do not get why they cant smother it out though.
what effect would constant fire have on the ground around the hole?

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedmoonMWC

Star and Flag
Impressive find
Have you seen this?

I went to Centralia a few years back...strange place. A bunch of grimy-looking guys were tear-assing their quads up the former highway, which was all heaved, overgrown and smoking. All very Mad Max! S&F indeed!
edit on 14-7-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMAMOG
i heard about this before its been posted a few times!its unreal how much gas is down there how many homes that could heat. i do not get why they cant smother it out though.
what effect would constant fire have on the ground around the hole?

I would think that filling it with sand would do the trick. Then they could tap into that awesome natural resource. We have coal mines here that have been burning for a long time.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Probably showing my ignorance of the subject...but fire requires Oxygen, can't the major Oxygen routes to the fire be located and sealed off?

Just pouring sand or dirt over the air routes should put out the fire.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

BRENNENDER BERG, GERMANY has been burning for at least 300+ years 1688 it was recorded. But that is crazy I used to work in the Methane industry and always feared a well going up, I seen several drip cans explode due to static discharge..
edit on 14-7-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

So now folks who prefer hell over heaven know
where to go and what door to knock on.

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje
exactly what i was thinking no shortage of it either,maybe its because there will then be methane leaking out which would be worse ?

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Is the by-product from burning methane hazardous for our atmosphere ?

We could start with fixing that before my government slugs me for a carbon tax that does nothing to offset the carbon footprint one leaves

posted on Jul, 15 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy
Is the by-product from burning methane hazardous for our atmosphere ?

We could start with fixing that before my government slugs me for a carbon tax that does nothing to offset the carbon footprint one leaves

The amount of methane releasing into the atmosphere is far worse than the amount of carbon dioxide released when burned off. That's why they don't put it out, because then it would be a high level of methane leaking.

new topics

top topics

join