It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Representing Half A Billion Christians Says It Will No Longer Support Fossil Fuels

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm not usually a big pope guy but I really like this new pope, the man is keeping it real. In many ways, not just this.

Anywho, nice article OP; not that it's apparent yet (to me at least) what the actual ramifications of this might be, will Christians begin driving hybrids now? Where do they go from here? What does this organization and it's members plan and hope to do to support and back up this stance they have now publicly taken?

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Wow.....I actually agree with their concerns. But we still need fossil fuels. We just have to shift our support to better methods, but definitely not corn gas. Corn gas is the most stupid ecological thing they ever did. Depleting and poisoning vast amounts of fertile soils is just a lie as being Eco friendly.....well, I guess Eco could mean economy also.
edit on 12-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Wow.....I actually agree with their concerns. But we still need fossil fuels. We just have to shift our support to better methods, but definitely not corn gas. Corn gas is the most stupid ecological thing they ever did. Depleting and poisoning vast amounts of fertile soils is just a lie as being Eco friendly.....well, I guess Eco could mean economy also.
I screamed from the rooftops and all through the net when we started using farmland to burn food for fuel. How stoooooooopid. When it comes to food these type of things always effect from the bottom up. The poor and middle class now suffer food inflation and we now know ethanol burns dirty and ruins engines.

now hemp. Thats a real alternative. Methanol burns pure and hemp does not need to be a rotated crop and can be planted in most areas and soils. And ethanol opened the door for gmo and now nearly all corn is gmo contaminated. I do not feed it to animals and I quit consuming corn a few years ago. You can produce 100 gallons methanol a month per acre of hemp

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I'm for doing less, having less, needing less. I am totally fascinated with Tiny Houses.

I am too Annee - have become more and more interested in minimalism as time goes by. I'm looking into the tiny home thing lately my self - for real

:-)

edit on 7/12/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

We (all people) need to start changing their lifestyle first. Nothing is going to work, if people aren't willing to change how they do things.

We've built a world dependent on commuting. We need to bring back the neighborhood market to start with. I don't care if it's a Walmart sponsored satellite store --- it just needs to have basic everyday stuff --- so people can walk a few blocks for basics, instead of hopping in the car just to go get milk, bread, etc.

What happened with children walking to school? Yes, parents have to walk with them.

You get the idea.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Solar and wind can't cut the mustard for the whole world (yet)

We don't have the infrastructure to handle it, but solar most certainly can provide power for the world. EASILY!

In 14 and a half seconds, the sun provides as much energy to Earth as humanity uses in a day.
In 88 minutes, the sun provides 470 exajoules of energy, as much energy as humanity consumes in a year. In 112 hours – less than five days – it provides 36 zettajoules of energy – as much energy as is contained in all proven reserves of oil, coal, and natural gas on this planet.

Solar Energy Facts

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's because it doesn't make any sense right now. It's not cost effective.

First, you have to build it, then you have to store the energy, as the sun isn't around 24 hours a day.

There's a lot of aluminum, or silicon in these materials, and the degree of purity is very high, just as much so as a microprocessor.

That doesn't come cheap. Solar is for the rich. Maybe it'll make sense in another decade, but by then it'll be difficult to make the transition.

Sure hope I'm incorrect.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
First, you have to build it, then you have to store the energy, as the sun isn't around 24 hours a day.

It takes 14.5 seconds to power the world for a day! It shines for 14 seconds, doesn't it???

Solar is for the rich.

We're definitely not rich and we saved up to buy a solar pump for our well. It's worth it, believe me!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
These folks should use their numbers and resources to start up swathes of farmland in their communities. I think if we just stopped importing crap from other countries that we can just grow in our own soil, we'd save a lion's share in fossil fuels. Just imagine how much food the city of New York could produce if every household that could manage it had a wee vegetable garden!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoldierCarryingHashbrowns
These folks should use their numbers and resources to start up swathes of farmland in their communities. I think if we just stopped importing crap from other countries that we can just grow in our own soil, we'd save a lion's share in fossil fuels. Just imagine how much food the city of New York could produce if every household that could manage it had a wee vegetable garden!
how then should we deal with the likes of GE, Monsanto, Syngenta, the fda, usda, etc... that is regulating the small farmer out of existance? Right now we are eating oil. Because of big agra profits and government croniism you cannot, by law, grow your own food in a small garden without fda approval.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
And they are still FREE to make this choice. All the more power to them. You would deny the rest of us that freedom to make our own choices in favor of what you are so sure is right. That is where you and I differ and always have.

No one should be free to destroy our home!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I totally agree. We have a big house, but we can close off part of it for the winter if need be. I also burn wood in a kitchen cookstove, the stove heats the house well with a little fire in it plus it cooks half of our meals with the same energy. It burns clean too, it is not airtight. It takes one small piece of hardwood for a half hour of heat. Five singles of wood replaces about three hundred fifty gallons of fuel oil......three hundred dollars of wood heats the house warmer than the thousand two hundred fifty dollars of oil it replaces...plus we cook for free. It is not practical to heat entirely with wood though, the furnace runs for about six hours. I could get a wood furnace to cover the rest but that would require another chimney.

I buy wood from a guy who cuts up old trees that need to be cut down and also from another guy who cuts tops left over from logging. Not many trees are cut for the purpose of firewood. this makes me feel good. I had a big maple break off in a storm about three weeks ago, a very old tree. I am going to cremate it in my woodstove. The stove also burns poplar well in the spring and fall, I have some poplars that blew over to cut up. We use our newspaper pages without much die to start the fire and get some hardwood clippings to start the fire. They are scraps from a flooring mill. About ten bucks a pickup load for the clippings.

You are right about the small markets, that is the best way to go. walking to the local small market is good for the neighborhood. people should support these stores and the stores should be fair with their prices too. There should actually be tax breaks for these little stores. They give the big chains breaks but tax the hell out of little stores. That isn't right at all.

edit on 12-7-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In the epa's eyesyou are polluting. Most likely your stove is going to be illegal when thenew laws come into effecta reply to: rickymouse

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Ehm it seams like one of the ten horns are in a bit of a conflict with the whore.

It seams to me, that people these days never have made one thought about how it is possible for there to be close to 8 billion people on earth.

Modern christians are some very selfish cannons with out much clue.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: manna2
In the epa's eyesyou are polluting. Most likely your stove is going to be illegal when thenew laws come into effecta reply to: rickymouse

Actually new...real evidence...shows that burning wood does not release more carbon than is released by the trees rotting in the woods. Now this would apply to burning dead wood already, not clear cutting down new trees. The oil companies scientists made up the crap about wood burning being non Eco friendly. It had little real evidence to back it yet it was believed by so many. The carbon that causes the problem is carbon that is buried deep in the earth. It brings up the ratio in the atmosphere and seas slowly but surely changing climate.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It does not matter. It comes down to the particle size released from burning. Most stoves will not pass.a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: manna2

There is less smoke coming out my chimney when burning the cookstove than when my oil furnace runs. It is comparable to what the new high efficient woodstoves emit...no smoke.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Your OP was going great until :

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Corporations (and people) denying climate change really bother me.

Why did you have to create a division RIIIIGHT there?

You remind me of Rosanne that can at the same time enumerate everything that's wrong and then blaming the whole deal on "men being in power".

To see that fossil fuel are evil doesn't REQUIRE for someone to believe in global warming, I don't see the inevitable correlation that you have made that only divides people with different opinions instead of bringing people together.

Your message sounds to me that you wouldn't mind keeping using fossil fuel if it wasn't for global warming.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Solar is for the rich. Maybe it'll make sense in another decade, but by then it'll be difficult to make the transition.

Sure hope I'm incorrect.

Everything that isn't mainstream is for the rich.

Big 1080 10ms HD TV's are dirt cheap now compared to before. However, if you want a TV that's not in those standards, you'll have to pay more.

If everyone goes solar, competition will rise and prices will drop.

We need to stop finding excuses to sill rely on fossil fuels!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I Hope they like Walkin' . Better yet , they can All Ride Jackasses .

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join