It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobby Lobby wins Supreme Court case, limits the ACA contraception mandate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hobby Lobby has won their Supreme Court case, will not have to provide birth control to employees!

This is breaking news will add stories and links as they are posted online.

The Supreme Court ruled Monday morning that the government cannot compel closely held corporations with religious owners to provide contraception coverage for its employees.

Two family-owned companies, Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties, had argued that the insurance requirement in President Barack Obama’s signature 2010 health care law violated a 1993 religious-freedom law.
www.rawstory.com...

This is a huge blow to Obamacare. Scotus was very critical of the Governments final arguments.

Will edit and add news as it comes.

ETA: Hobby Lobby wins in narrow ruling www.msnbc.com...

Des
edit on 30-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Jun 30 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed tags

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Yes Congrats to all you hobby lobby fans!!

The Court says that the government has failed to show that the mandate is the least restrictive means of advancing its interest in guaranteeing cost-free access to birth control. - See more at: live.scotusblog.com...

So well obama will probably use his executive power and the gov't (taxpayer) will provide the coverage instead!!
One big leap for the businesses their rights to their religious beliefs are now superior to the taxapayer!!

+19 more 
link   

Totally disagree with this ruling. Corporations are people in this age, however.

It's interesting to see all who support that notion in this case. I wonder if you all support the Citizens United ruling.
edit on 6/30/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
link   

This limits government mandates.

This limits what a government can mandate.

I'll count this as a win.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

And, the tax payers lost. Basically, SCOTUS ruled that Title X , can cover the contraception that "closely held, family companies" that have established religious views won't.

So, now we can expect Republicans to try to abolish Title X.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
sorry repost somehow
edit on 30-6-2014 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Very limited though.

Wonderful these religious people out protesting this issue but let the war on terror continue without a word. I suppose there is good killing and bad killing.

link   

originally posted by: beezzer

No it doesn't. It limits who can be exempt from mandates.

link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I was watching news on tv for the ruling to be read from court house...I edited to add the first story in OP...they are just now being posted online. Will keep adding them as they come up.

Des

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

This is where my conservative side takes center stage. As a business owner, I don't want government telling me how to run my business especially when it comes to social issues. And birth control is a social, cultural and religious issue.

edit on 30-6-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

No it doesn't. It limits who can be exempt from mandates.

To-may-to/to-mah-to.

It puts restrictions on mandates.

+23 more 
link   
It also says in the reason why I think they should lose this case.

Speaking on "Fox News Sunday," House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., also said he's hopeful the court will "uphold the rights of individuals for their expression of their religious freedoms."

Hobby Lobby is a company not a person so it should not have religious freedoms. Not to mention if they did find in their favor it would be opening the door for religious discrimination in every company across the nation.
edit on 30-6-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
link   
Finally, Christian values aren't trashed by the US government!!!

WOW! a first in a very long time

After just reading that sailors will be required to follow Ramadan rules in public on US military bases (which are off limits to local nationals who do not work there) in Islamic countries, I was beginning to despair in the disparity of treatment between Christians who the federal government has blasted at every turn and suppressed and oppressed as much as possible and other religions such as Wiccian and especially Islam which has been given preferential kid glove treatment.

Of course, the Obama administration argued vigorously against this, but thank God someone in our government cares about Christian's rights.

This ruling isn't just about mandates it is also about freedom OF religion (there is NOthing in the constitution about freedom from religion).
The owners of Hobby Lobby are now free to exercise their religion as owners of a company. This can have huge repercussions where business owners have been fined or run out of business by the government for exercising their religious right to not perform a service that runs counter to their religious beliefs. While I may not agree with the business owners, I think they have the right to refuse do perform a service that runs counter to their religious beliefs.
edit on 30-6-2014 by grandmakdw because: addition

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I guess that means that being a person of nonviolence, I can elect for my tax dollars not to go to the defense budget...precedent set.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

A win I hope so. A game changer...for sure...

The Obama administration argued that for-profit companies – even closely held ones – do not exercise religious rights as individuals and therefore are not covered by the 1993 Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

But the court, in a 5-4 vote and majority opinion written by Justice Samuel Alito, upheld an appeals court ruling on the case, finding that the government had failed to show that its mandate is the “least restrictive means of advancing its interest in guaranteeing cost-free access to birth control.”
www.rawstory.com...

Des

+17 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Congratulations! And to the Muslims, Mormons, and Jehovah Witnesses. Sharia law for you daughters and sons in the workplace, is on its way.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

only to an extent no company can illegally discriminate proclaiming religious belief and well it pertains only to the birth control issue- which only directly affects the female portion of the population. But... it's not discriminatory!! Honest!!!

While Iran helps their enemy Iraq fight off a caliphate our gov't is busy installing a christian version of one!

+12 more 
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Congratulations! And to the Muslims, Mormons, and Jehovah Witnesses. Sharia law for you daughters and sons in the workplace, is on its way.

That's right every form of religious discrimination is now ok. All you have to do is say my faith says it should be this way.

+3 more 
link   

Outstanding outcome Des and I'm happy to see you caught the story to carry for this one. That fits.

One principle defended at least, even if so many others are still in jeopardy. At least on this, the President was told he shall *NOT* decree things be done contrary to the sincere religious beliefs of a business owner. Especially..the SELF insured variety. I was hoping it would go this way, but you never know with this court right now.

+18 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: MOMof3

That's right every form of religious discrimination is now ok. All you have to do is say my faith says it should be this way.

Honestly did you even read the ruling or you just jumping in here to scare people?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join