It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was resisting but: Go see The fault in our stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I commented [in bad forum form] on another thread and i think this movie really deserves its own.

The movie is about finding love and emotional fulfillment in the face of dire odds and its beautiful.

I do not wish to say any more about it to spoil your viewing experience, it is happy, it is sad, is makes you think and makes you wish you thought less.

Fantastic piece and i think i might go and watch it again today.

If you are sensitive to emotional distress and torment perhaps avoid it, because as somone who isnt, it hit me as if i was a 7 year old watching bambi for the first time.

Go watch it, sublime performances from actors i have no idea of their names.

edit on b5050616 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I have been aware of the existence of this movie since well before it came out, and indeed the book which it is based on, being as I am, a fan of John Greens collaborative project, "the Vlogbrothers" with his brother Hank, on youtube.

As much as I would love to support the creation of this movie, and the book as well, I have been informed that his work has a tendency to hit one "right in the feels" or in other words, to reduce people to a shell shocked mess.

Although I appreciate that some people need the occasional slap in the feels, my feels have been fairly abraded by experiences in my life, and I require no further activation of my emotional centres at this time, so I will not be watching that movie.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I understand completely.

Had i been aware of the book, i would have read that first - im not sure i should now, i feel like i missed out on that part.

But it is a fantastic story and i love how bold it is in the face of peril and pain.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

I definitely want to see this film... I watched X-Men: Days of Future Past a couple of days ago instead of this. (at the cinema)
I don't really see this as a cinema film... as soon as it's online I'll definitely watch it.

edit on 26/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I saw that one too (i am a serious movie buff) i thought it was lacking some how.

The movie im talking about is less "wow and oooo and ahhhhh" and more about people, very deep feelings of people.

It left be thinking, when i left the cinema, "its never the end till its the end, and before that happens theres time for love and fun".

Even though its about dying cancer patients theres so much room for a connection to everything thats going on. Its like life in double speed, i absolutely loved it.

I hope i havnt put any spoilers in these posts, if you spot anything please tell me and i will remove it, mods if i cant edit it after 4 hours please remove any spoiler info, i do not wish to ruining this stunning movie for anyone. (i tryed to be very careful)

b

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

The movie im talking about is less "wow and oooo and ahhhhh" and more about people, very deep feelings of people.

Well yes of course, I understand that.... my point was that heartfelt dramas and deep and meaningful movies are best watched in the comfort of your own home, where you're free to cry and get wrapped up in the movie.
I LOVE deep, emotional films.

But IMHO, the cinema is best for action, special effects and big loud movies.... not quiet, thoughtful, reflective films.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I am told that the book is worth reading whether or not one has seen the film, however, for reasons as previously stated, I have not read it.

My fiction collection bares testament that while I am capable of reading tomes of both significant volume, and great ability to move one emotionally, I also require a significant amount of fantasy and insanity, and preferably (and to my shame) carnage, to take the edge off. Reality is all too real to me, and I do not find recreation through fiction which strays too close to it very helpful.

In short, I can deal with 2001: A Space Odyssey, but Angela's Ashes is a no no!

For the same reason, I will happily read the next Dresden Files book, but will be avoiding The Fault In Our Stars in all its formats, unless or until such time as my life is so bloody peachy that I can afford a day off to deal with the inevitable blubbering uselessness that will likely follow reading it!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

You are ony saying that because you dont like to cry in the cinema

I do get what your saying but this is no less of a great movie if watched at home or anywhere else. Just make sure you can see the picture and hear the sound and you are set for a fantastic story.

Yes, i cryed, i admit it. In the cinema, in front of my mother. I wish that didnt happen but i dont care because it was worth every drop.

edit on b3232727 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

You are ony saying that because you dont like to cry in the cinema

I do get what your saying but this is no less of a great movie if watched at home or anywhere else. Just make sure you can see the picture and hear the sound and you are set for a fantastic story.

Yes, i cryed, i admit it. In the cinema, in front of my mother. I wish that didnt happen but i dont care because it was worth every drop.

Maybe

But seriously.... I've had people ruin movies in the past, scary films, dramas... all kinds of stuff because they wont either shut up, stop giggling, texting on their phones or whatever else.
If I have to be fully invested and emotionally immersed in the film, then I'm not going to the cinema to see it.

Her, Dallas Buyers Club, Short Term 12..... plus many others were some of my favourite movies last year, but didn't see any of them at the cinema, just not worth it.
Have a decent sized screen at home so it's all good.

I can cry at home

edit on 26/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
This movie is a pathetic attempt to romanticize Cancer.
Cancer is nothing like it is in this book or movie.
John Green is a sad excuse for a human being.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBlueShiroux
This movie is a pathetic attempt to romanticize Cancer.
Cancer is nothing like it is in this book or movie.
John Green is a sad excuse for a human being.

Its not about the cancer though, its about not wasting time and being a good person to the people that love and care for you.

You are literally judging the book by the cover.

top topics

join