It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope Against Fighting Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
In the future, antibiotic-resistant bacteria may not to be feared anymore.

When I first heard about bacteria evolving to counter the antibiotics, it left me feeling with a sense of dread, thinking it wouldn't be long now before our society collapses like many others before us thanks to bacteria we don't even have a cure for. Now I don't have to worry about antibiotics not working on my daughter should she ever get sick in the future or anyone else children for that matter, all thanks to this wonderful new breakthrough in the race to solve this problem.

It's amazing how much Humanity can accomplish when we work together.

A breakthrough in the race to solve antibiotic resistance has been made by scientists. New research reveals an Achilles' heel in the defensive barrier that surrounds drug-resistant bacterial cells. The findings pave the way for a new wave of drugs that kill superbugs by bringing down their defensive walls rather than attacking the bacteria itself. It means that in future, bacteria may not develop drug-resistance at all.

Until now little has been known about exactly how the defensive barrier is built. The new findings reveal how bacterial cells transport the barrier building blocks (called lipopolysaccharides) to the outer surface.

Now if any of you are like me, you're probably thinking that this might be a bad thing considering we are long overdue for a collapse, especially in this mad increasingly world we live in today. Each day is a constant reminder that we could use a fresh start, but sometimes I like to believe that even those who seem hopeless can still be saved from themselves. That of course, is a story for another time. This is a win for science, and humanity in our fight against alien invaders that seek to harm and kill us.

Read the full story here Source

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheProphetMark

Pfizer has stopped any development of antibiotic drugs. The entire anti-bacterial stuff has been called off.
They even closed all the laboratories as far as I remember. I read this somewhere approx. a year ago.
I think some SVP at Pfizer did admit that in 25 years you will die because of a bruised knee as the common bacteria will become so immensely resistant + new forms of bacteria are mutating every once in a while, becoming stronger and more resistant in many different ways.

I assume it was L.Pasteur who said, in the end... it's micro-organisms who prevail. and I suppose he was right

Regarding your post, well, it's nice to see a "progress", but still, it's a long way 'till it reaches the end-custumer.
First, they need to make money on it. Tons of money. Perhaps, then, maybe, kinda sorta it will actually "help" the common people.
But mind that healthy people don't make money for the BIGPharma and Doctors paid by them. You know, they actually want people to be ill, buy useless drugs and eventually live for a while, then when no longer needed, die.
A patient is a commodity.
Wish we could do something about this.
edit on 20-6-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This thread would fit better in the "Medical Issues" forum.

The findings pave the way for a new wave of drugs that kill superbugs by bringing down their defensive walls rather than attacking the bacteria itself. It means that in future, bacteria may not develop drug-resistance at all.
It sounds like it's still hypothetical and I'm very very skeptical. I consider "may not develop drug-resistance at all" to be an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence, and the fact they say "may" implies they aren't sure it will happen either.

Instead of a new wave of drugs, one thing we could all do is stop going to the doctor and asking for antibiotics when we have an illness that antibiotics don't even treat. The doctors shouldn't even write these prescriptions but they feel pressured by their patients and often they do write the prescriptions to placate them, but these very unnecessary prescriptions help to breed the antibiotic-resistant superbugs.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

yeah, the fight against bacteria is the fight we are gonna lose.. sooner or later.
edit on 20-6-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I heard a while back about research being done with the blood of Komodo dragons. They carry some nasty bacteria in their saliva. It's how they kill prey, but they possess an antibody that keeps it from affecting them.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Essential oils will wipe out deadly bacteria. Our doctors will be more like herbalists just before it all comes crashing down. I have tinctures of a variety of essential oils just in case.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is also claimed that Pasteur's death bed confession was: it's not the microbes, it's the environment.
The implication being that a healthy immune system can fight off anything.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hmmm.
Anybody else here have a few gallons of Manuka honey??
Maybe google it and see why I'm not really worried.
All of these multi billion dollar poison companies can come up with all of the lifetaking snake oil they want, I don't need it!
People need to realize the human race somehow survived many moons before these companies were ever brought about.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

They already have a cure-all treatment that will kill all known bacteria and fungal infection. It will not work on viral infections though. It was developed through DARPA funding for the military at UMASS. It uses biomimicry based around defensins. The nanotechnology travels throughout the body and will pierce the cell wall of all cells that do not contain a lipid coating (which is why it will not work on viral infections). It is even effective against TB.

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
It sounds like it's still hypothetical and I'm very very skeptical. I consider "may not develop drug-resistance at all" to be an extraordinary claim without extraordinary evidence

The treatment I just outlined is already developed, works, and is 100% impossible for there ever to be any resistance to it.

originally posted by: Necrose

yeah, the fight against bacteria is the fight we are gonna lose.. sooner or later.

Nope. Viral infections maybe .. bacteria we can already cure every single infection with near zero side effects. The only side effect is the death of all the beneficial bacteria that would need to be repopulated.
edit on 21-6-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Nope. Viral infections maybe .. bacteria we can already cure every single infection with near zero side effects. The only side effect is the death of all the beneficial bacteria that would need to be repopulated.

wrong. wait a second, stop and think:
~Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
~Acinetobacter baumannii
~Aspergillis
~Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE)
~Pseudomonas aeruginosa

You think you can cure these with ZERO side effects? Don't be silly mate. The drugs of last resort will literally kill your kidneys or anything else. Some of these have mortality over 50%.
Man, you know that Vancomycin in the a "drug of last resort" and when the damn bacteria is resistant to it, you are f..ked up.
edit on 21-6-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   

wrong. wait a second, stop and think:
~Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
~Acinetobacter baumannii
~Aspergillis
~Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium (VRE)
~Pseudomonas aeruginosa

You think you can cure these with ZERO side effects? Don't be silly mate. The drugs of last resort will literally kill your kidneys or anything else. Some of these have mortality over 50%.
Man, you know that Vancomycin in the a "drug of last resort" and when the damn bacteria is resistant to it, you are f..ked up.

Awesome. You did not read a single word of my post and then responded. The treatment that is NOT THEORETICAL .. they have it .. will kill all of that, it is NOT a drug .. and it has ZERO side effects.

If I could give -stars for your lack of reading comprehension I would.

"Several of our defensin-mimetic antimicrobial compounds have demonstrated, in pre-clinical research studies, promising activity against fungi such as Candida that can cause infections of the oral cavity," commented Dr. Richard Scott, Vice President of Research at PolyMedix. "Resistance has developed to current treatments used for these infections, creating an important need for a new treatment where resistance is less likely to develop. We believe our small molecule defensin- mimetic compounds represent a novel approach to developing new agents to treat these painful infections which sometimes can be life-threatening, with the important potential advantage of limited opportunity for the development of resistance."

www.news-medical.net...

Here is an example of the treatment at work. Due to the mechanic of how the treatment works resistance is almost impossible to be aquired. It would require the bacteria to develop a lipid coating ... which no bacteria or fungus has, ONLY animal cells have it.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Well .. this is a conspiracy website .. so I went to check one of my sources and it was gone. I did some more digging .. the company that created this cure-all treatment for the military filed for bankruptcy last year. How does a company that creates a bacterial and fungal cure-all, with Phase 2 clinical trials independently reviewed proving it's effectiveness, become bankrupt?

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

okay, kill me now but Staphylococcus aureus and various species of Streptococcus are actually LCB. (Lipid-Coated-Bacterium)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04

okay, kill me now but Staphylococcus aureus and various species of Streptococcus are actually LCB. (Lipid-Coated-Bacterium)

I would quote the rebuttal but all my sources that I use for the topic are 404'd. They are all gone. The company is gone. They were getting DARPA money and then filed for bankruptcy.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Here is a source that specifically talks about binding to Staph lipid coating and will not bind to human/animal host cells for the use of defensin-mimetics. Seriously I have no idea how the company I was following went bankrupt.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 21-6-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join