It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial DNA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I'd found this article while reading various news stories on Google. A lot of articles are calling it "alien DNA" but really, there is nothing alien about the matter used in the science lab. Here's some links

CNN
www.cnn.com...

FOX
www.foxnews.com...

HUFFINGTON
www.huffingtonpost.com...

CBS
www.cbsnews.com...

What that could mean in the long term is that, if I'm understanding this correctly, the scientists have expanded the complexity of life through adding 2 more protein arms to the genetic structure of the original 4 proteins. That could have a multiplied effect on what life could be that is immeasurable should this science further advance.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Yes, what is meant by "alien" is the introduction of genes that weren't there prior to manipulation.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NowanKenubi

Still, "artificial DNA" is a much more accurate label than "alien DNA" because the manipulation and materials used all originated here on this planet. Alien DNA would have to come from somewhere other than Earth.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It is just case of sensuality - nothing sensational in 'artificial' where 'alien' is something people will more likely check...

I am against this misuse of terms, kind of reminds me of God's particle....

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I find it difficult to believe that this subject has been mostly ignored.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

Ye whats goin on here like?

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony
I find it difficult to believe that this subject has been mostly ignored.

It is a proof of concept technology, and nothing else. I don't see why you assume it should be such a big thing?

originally posted by: Asynchrony
What that could mean in the long term is that, if I'm understanding this correctly, the scientists have expanded the complexity of life through adding 2 more protein arms to the genetic structure of the original 4 proteins.

No. They have added 2 more nucleotide types. Nucleotides and proteins are two *very* different things.

That could have a multiplied effect on what life could be that is immeasurable should this science further advance.

And what exactly is it that you expect could be made from this? As mentioned above, it is a proof of concept, but it doesn't make the cell capable of doing anything it couldn't do before.
edit on 17/8/14 by Thain Esh Kelch because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/8/14 by Thain Esh Kelch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Only real problem is, they have no real idea what it is they are adding/changing with this genetic information. And adding it to an already nasty like e-coli? Sounds like a recipe for a pest that can't be killed via normal means. Mutating into who knows what? So little forethought...

top topics

join