It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Untold History of The United States

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This is a 10 part (12 parts were actually made) series by Showtime and Oliver Stone covers the time period just prior to World War II to today. The series is stunning using an astounding array of archival footage and film clips.

The original title was "The Secret History of the Unitied States" was disliked by co-writer historian Peter J Kuznick dislike the title of the series and stated : "the truth is that many of our 'secrets' have been hidden on the front page of the New York Times. If people think the secrets will be deep, dark conspiracies, they'll be disappointed. We'll be drawing on the best recent scholarship".[18] It was subsequently retitled The Untold History of the United States.

Whatever your feeling towards Oliver Stone and his style, his facts are just that facts.

The goal of the series was to present actions of The United States in a world wide context. I find that generally we have a very limited viewpoint here in the US, a very parochial and narrow view which limits our understand other peoples.

You can find the series on Amazon or find parts of it in other places. You are all more knowledgeable about finding content online then I

It's an interesting trip though the recent past highlighting those trends that have led us to today.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Here's a link to a youtube playlist

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

A very good series, and thanks for the youtube link. I watched the 10 episodes when it first ran, but didn't know that two other episodes were made. What were they about, and why were they never aired?

edit on 8-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

A very good series, and thanks for the youtube link. I watched the 10 episodes when it first ran, but didn't know that two other episodes were made. What were they about, and why were they never aired?

One was about World War I and the other I can't remember and can't find any info on. KPFK radio was giving the entire 12 episode set as a premium on a fund drive.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

That is quite strange, that two full episodes of such a good series weren't included in the original run of the series. There may be data on this in the Wikipedia article (if there is one). I'll "go" take a look. Have you seen them?

Edit:

Wikipedia calls the two non-series episodes 'prologues'. The wiki page about the series:

en.wikipedia.org...

On October 15, 2013, Oliver Stone announced that Untold History of the United States would be released on Blu-ray. All 10 episodes of the show would be featured on 4 discs, and the Blu-ray release would also include various bonus content, as well as 2 prologue episodes. The first prologue episode would deal with World War I, the Russian Revolution and Woodrow Wilson. The second prologue episode would highlight the pre-World War II era of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. On March 4, 2014, Stone announced via his own website that the series was officially available on DVD.

edit on 9-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

That is quite strange, that two full episodes of such a good series weren't included in the original run of the series. There may be data on this in the Wikipedia article (if there is one). I'll "go" take a look. Have you seen them?

Edit:

Wikipedia calls the two non-series episodes 'prologues'. The wiki page about the series:

en.wikipedia.org...

On October 15, 2013, Oliver Stone announced that Untold History of the United States would be released on Blu-ray. All 10 episodes of the show would be featured on 4 discs, and the Blu-ray release would also include various bonus content, as well as 2 prologue episodes. The first prologue episode would deal with World War I, the Russian Revolution and Woodrow Wilson. The second prologue episode would highlight the pre-World War II era of Franklin D. Roosevelt, Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. On March 4, 2014, Stone announced via his own website that the series was officially available on DVD.

Thank you, KPFK was impling that the two 'prologues' were too 'provacative' to air. Considering the time period they could be quite informative.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Thanks. The Wikipedia page doesn't say if the DVD version has the two prologue episodes, just that they are on the Blu-Ray. I doubt if Stone would hold them back for long outside of the Blu-ray, maybe he had to agree to an exclusive time-window that the bluit-ray producers had could promote the two extra episodes as a whoop-de-do.

edit on 10-6-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Thanks. The Wikipedia page doesn't say if the DVD version has the two prologue episodes, just that they are on the Blu-Ray. I doubt if Stone would hold them back for long outside of the Blu-ray, maybe he had to agree to an exclusive time-window that the bluit-ray producers had could promote the two extra episodes as a whoop-de-do.

I don't really know but I am looking forward to seeing them. They were included with the KPFK premium but the series wasn't offered in their latest fund drive. Hopefully they will come out, methinks it's the whole set-up for the rest of the 20th century.

Personnally I'm begining to believe, from diverse sorces that England and France have used the US to maintain their empires (if not legally at least economicall) while the US carries the burden of the costs of empire - the pentagon papers refer to it, Stone doesn't directly say anything but sheds light on how much the cololnial powers wanted to maintaint their empires. A passing thought....

new topics

top topics

join