It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I don't criticize anything about the study, what i criticize is the blog that Chamberf=6 post that makes claims not even knowing how the study was made.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

You do realize emails ( that's from your source) aren't a study?

My link has no mention of BIN and is a completely different site.

I've also never seen BIN "debunk" anything...on the contrary, they sensationalize, unlike my source.

Did you read the links in the source I used? They are not BIN but include www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... ---

Ten cancer patients receiving chemotherapy, 7 females and 3 males with a median age of 61 years (range 44-78 yrs), are presented in this case series report. Four suffered from breast cancer, two from prostate cancer, and one each from ovarian, uterine, non small cell carcinoma of the lung, and esophageal adenocarcinoma

It lists those that did the research, including two who were quoted out of context in your Telegraph source.
edit on 6/9/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Chamberf=6

Your link is made by Robert Sacerich who happens to make articles for bin

think before you continue. the main researcher gave his opinion to a news organization:

“There is no evidence at all that fasting would be dangerous while there is strong evidence that it is beneficial.

“I have received emails from hundreds of cancer patients who have combined chemo with fasting, many with the assistance of the oncologists.

“Thus far the great majority have reported doing very well and only a few have reported some side effects including fainting and a temporary increase in liver markers. Clearly we need to finish the clinical trials, but it looks very promising.”

This is not in the research, the research was made with mice, you took the last part and said this.

...unless mice can talk.

the guy in your link said the study cannot be trusted because it was made with 10 people over 60 blah blah blah, clearly none read the research and made crap up. you do realize you don't seem to have an idea of what you are saying right?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I don't want to bicker. Where is the human research referred to in the article?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Check the link in my above post.

BTW you are the one that chose to use the Telegraph article as one of your two sources. It does not mention mice.

Your other source does not mention people...

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Is that the paper in the peer reviewed magazine with an impact factor of 25 published last week that appears in my op from where all of what is talked in this thread comes?

Or is some preliminary paper from 2009 made by the same author?

See how you don't know what you are saying?

Hey don't you see how your blog use an article to attack another, straw man?

edit on 9-6-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Doing this too often can trigger the metabolism to stay stuck on "Store", this will make it so that in the future anything you cross the lips with will make you fat.

Although just as in a spring cleaning of your home, a yearly fast is appropriate for health but not so much for weight loss.

Cleaning the colon is essential at the time of this cleansing, as well as the main organs getting a good flush.

So, for health a cleanse is good, as for fasting for weight loss, not good.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

This second source from your OP is www.cell.com..., the recent one.

It does NOT mention people.

Your first source from the Telegraph refers to humans, which those scientists studied (only 10 of them) in my link.

Your first source sensationalizes things by combining two different studies on two different species that had nothing to do with each other and were years apart.

Sensational headlines sell papers.

You even used the sensationalized newspaper headline as your thread title.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I have been a strong advocate of 'fasting' diets. They are simple, and if you eat right you can literally gorge on your favorite foods, although within limits of course - steering clear of trans fats, glucose fructose, etc - there have been many studies that find that fasting is actually more natural than eating three square meals a day, or the myth of eating smaller meals throughout the day will make you lose weight.

There are two great documentaries that explain the process of how fasting is very beneficial, one being 'fat head' the other, 'fat, sick, and dying' the first showing that sticking to a more primal diet of mostly saturated fat, coupled with veggies and fruits is ten times healthier, but, it needs a lot of attention if you want three meal a day. The other follows a guy who doesn't eat for a month and only lives off juice, and his fat that he. Accumulated throughout the years of eating poorly.
The second thing he also cured was several health complications and even the starting phases of gout!

So, I am a firm believer in we are what we eat, literally. And if we only went back to how our past ancestors ate food for the majority of our evolution we would be a lot healthier, i know i feel it, i only eat twice a day, sometimes once depending on how active i am.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Is that the paper in the peer reviewed magazine with an impact factor of 25 published last week that appears in my op from where all of what is talked in this thread comes?
No, it's not. The study you linked is not "Where all of what is talked in this thread comes".

Or is some preliminary paper from 2009 made by the same author?
Yes, that one. Which also appears to be "Where all of what is talked in this thread comes".

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   

The telegraph news never make such claim that a research have been done in humans, it says fasting could be good to humans as research have proven.

The research in question is about mice.

Your article makes a claim the research is no good because it use 10 humans, clearly taking it from the 2009 article you posted to attack the 2014 article made on mice with good population and statistic methods.

And it does mention people, proving you read nothing.

To begin to determine whether PF cycles can potentially promote a similar effect in humans, we also analyzed the hematological profiles of cancer patients from a phase I clinical trial for the feasibility and safety of a 24–72 hr PF period in combination with chemotherapy. Although three different platinum-based drug combinations were used (Table S1), the results from a phase I clinical trial indicate that 72 but not 24 hr of PF in combination with chemotherapy were associated with normal lymphocyte counts and maintenance of a normal lineage balance in WBCs (Figure 1F). These encouraging preliminary results will need to be expanded and confirmed in the ongoing phase II randomized phase of the clinical trial.

just stop wasting time, realize your blogger just don't like the researcher and its using straw man to attack the research, attacking the news article and an older paper as it was the new one.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

The telegraph news never make such claim that a research have been done in humans, it says fasting could be good to humans as research have proven.
Say what?

In trials humans were asked to regularly fast for between two and four days over a six-month period.

Scientists found that prolonged fasting also reduced the enzyme PKA, which is linked to ageing and a hormone which increases cancer risk and tumour growth.
Your OP source www.telegraph.co.uk...

That's not from the "Mice study". Looks like the 2009 work.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

You know what, you are right i just hate you and the other guy.

mice are nothing like human yep.

the research is crap yep. what does a professor with over 15 years experience a few hundred papers can do against

Robert is a Bioethics and Ethical Philosophy student at Cleveland State University, as well as blogger and science advocate/activist. He has worked extensively within the secular community for various secular nonprofit organizations and public communication causes.

if you people are happy now, why don't you try to do something useful with your life and prof the failure of Valter Longo how to do proper research, here is his email

[email protected]

Could i see one of your papers to know how a good experiment is made?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

You seem to be missing the point.

mice are nothing like human yep.

Hate...ok...

and no, mice are not humans, which is the problem with the newspaper's article.

The credibility of the scientists are not in question. The way the Telegraph article presents their studies is.

Even Longo's studies in the past years 2012, 2013 are only on mice.

In 2009 he and his colleagues did a very small look at fasting in 10 humans.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Humans are so especial aren't we?

Another reason rodents are used as models in medical testing is that their genetic, biological and behavior characteristics closely resemble those of humans, and many symptoms of human conditions can be replicated in mice and rats. "Rats and mice are mammals that share many processes with humans and are appropriate for use to answer many research questions," said Jenny Haliski, a representative for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare.

www.livescience.com...

Mice and men share about 97.5 per cent of their working DNA, just one per cent less than chimps and humans. The new estimate is based on the comparison of mouse chromosome 16 with human DNA. Previous estimates had suggested mouse-human differences as high as 15 per cent.

Just 2.5% of DNA turns mice into men

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Yes, I know that. Maybe some meditation could help you. One can't fast properly while feeding on hate.

As for the rest of the nonsense in your post, this isn't about criticizing the researcher. I have not done that. This whole mess has been about sorting out the facts about what has been said and what source goes with what was said.

ETA: The post above this one shows that Chamberf=6 is right. You are missing the point.
edit on 9-6-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: samsamm9

But the science behind fasting has been known to Muslims for a long time and is part of one of the five pillars of Islam.
Ramadan is a 30 day fast, and it's amazing what it can do for your health.

And it's also amazing to have a clear, rational and relaxed mind.... You should try it sometimes.

Fasting has been known to humanity way before the illiterate prophet got the "word' of "god in a cave. All cultures, pagan and monotheistic have applied fasting. So just leave the religion out of this thread dude. Is it ever possible not to have religious elements in every thread?

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

How im going to hate 2 randoms from the interwebs

_______

Good to know noone is questioning the quality of the research or the researcher

So, is it possible? Sure. Is it a miracle discovery? Not even close. It’s more of a “Let’s turn them off, then turn them back on again, and see if that works” type of idea.

They appear to be quoting one of the scientists on the study by the name of Valter D. Longo. He appears to be fairly well respected, however, he also shows up more often than anyone should like in the “natural” community websites, being cited for various diet and nutrition claims. Now, whether that stems from him or from the sensationalism that comes from those “journalists,” I don’t know. He does, however, appear far too often to promote various alternative medical claims.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

And it does mention people, proving you read nothing.

To begin to determine whether PF cycles can potentially promote a similar effect in humans, we also analyzed the hematological profiles of cancer patients from a phase I clinical trial for the feasibility and safety of a 24–72 hr PF period in combination with chemotherapy. Although three different platinum-based drug combinations were used (Table S1), the results from a phase I clinical trial indicate that 72 but not 24 hr of PF in combination with chemotherapy were associated with normal lymphocyte counts and maintenance of a normal lineage balance in WBCs (Figure 1F). These encouraging preliminary results will need to be expanded and confirmed in the ongoing phase II randomized phase of the clinical trial.

just stop wasting time, realize your blogger just don't like the researcher and its using straw man to attack the research, attacking the news article and an older paper as it was the new one.

The Phase I mentioned in your quote above about humans (not mice) and referenced in your first source, misleadingly presented by the Telegraph as recent, was from 2009.

Study First Received: July 9, 2009

clinicaltrials.gov...

Phase II on humans (hopefully with a much larger set) is not completed yet and this time will be randomized.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

I only eat 1 meal a day usually around 6pm and have done so for many years not for any reason other than I just get out of bed and go to work and don't eat until i get home.

I'm a healthy person, I haven't been to the doctors/hospital for around 15 years because I don't get sick, don't get colds and have no health issues.

I Had not considered if that could be because i only eat 1 meal a day until I read this thread but its a possibility I guess!

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join