It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British/English national anthem 'God Save the Queen' and citizens who do not believe in gods...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I just watched the England-Peru match kick-off just now and it's on the wall beyond my laptop screen as I type.
What struck me (as it always does) was the passionate singing of 'God save the Queen' going on by fans before the match started.
It is the national anthem of England, but also the UK, while Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland also have their own anthems for nation specific events.
I'm British, but I've never found myself able to force myself to sing 'God save the Queen' because I'm not a royalist, and I've seen nothing in my life to draw me towards believing in any gods. That said, I wonder how many of the thousands of fans singing at Wembley tonight actually believe in gods and want said god/s to save their queen?

The anthem I always sing at public or sporting events is 'Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau' - 'Land of my fathers' in English.
It is always sung in the Welsh language, which I understand quite well having being born, bred and educated in Wales, (English is my first language though) but I agree with all the words, so I sing it. A very close translation in English is:

The land of my fathers is dear to me,
Old land where the minstrels are honoured and free;
Its warring defenders so gallant and brave,
For freedom their life's blood they gave.

Wales, Wales, true am I to Wales,
While seas secure the land so pure,
O may the old language endure.

Old land of the mountains, the Eden of bards,
Each gorge and each valley a loveliness guards;
Through love of my country, charmed voices will be
Its streams, and its rivers, to me.

Though foe men have trampled my land beneath their feet,
The language of Cambria still knows no retreat;
The muse is not vanquished by traitor's fell hand,
Nor silenced the harp of my land.

...as can be seen, fairly uncontroversial and rooted in the real world, without references to invisible entities or unelected heads of state.

So, I wonder, do all the people who sing 'God save the queen' actually believe any of those words and passionately wish a supernatural force to protect their 'leader' or is it just a song which nobody actually considers the words of and programming has resulted in compliance in this public singing?

What about those who don't believe in gods? Do you just comply for the crowd, or do you stand silently as I have many times when it has been sung around me.
Are the very words of the anthem an ongoing conspiracy by the state to promote the Anglican church and the monarch who shares the title of Supreme Governor of the Church of England? What about those who do not believe in gods, like me, singing it would just be a lie.

If your anthem has some gods related lines in it please do feel to share here as it will certainly be on-topic, I'm concerned with the wider issue of state approved national anthems creating an axiom that gods exist, and the subliminal effect on those who sing such a song.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I prefer the one they sung in Zulu.....wanted tae climb in the telly and stand shoulder to shoulder with that Brave Michael Caine fellow...awesome.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I like the tune
I believe in god but not any religious one.
Ah the Monarchy is loved in the UK (not ATS) they are just our custodians of treasures and palaces and good mascotts to bring out at world events.

There was a time before 24 hour telly when it was played after all the shows ended.
When I was little and it came on me Dad used to say "Quick salute" and me and my bro usedto stand to attention and salute...good memories.

I personally like this one better.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
"Men of Harlech" - excellent rousing song with no mention of gods...also Welsh, not British.
I've sung that at rugby matches a few times.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

"While seas secure the land so pure"

How can the seas secure? There is a land border with England is there not?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Can't stand the tune for the god and royalist words.
It may be a majority of folk who are royalists, but the republicans are not a tiny percentage, neither are the atheists as a 3rd of Wales stated no religion in the last census.

...lol, I remember when the TV stopped at midnight or whatever and God save the Queen came on...I thought the words were ridiculous then as a child.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

This should be The National Anthem Of England:-

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong
I know, it is a bit curious, but it was originally written by a couple of blokes in Pontypridd a few miles inland from where I grew up at the coast in Swansea, they have webbed fingers and eat their young in Pontypridd!

...only teasing.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Where those couple of blokes pissed up when they wrote it?

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

No religion doesn't mean they are atheists you know. One day lets hope it is in the number one position (it will come soon).
The fact is that our whole history and such has got us with how the country is run it is a constitutional monarchy and it works.
We are not slaves nor subjects we are citizens.
Just waiting for the usual claptrap about how much they cost us (they put in more than take out) and how we worship them...in 3..2..1.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I agree, if it was the UK anthem as well I'd probably sing it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

as an atheist monarchist - I sing " dog save the queen "

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Maybe, but at least they stayed away from the supernatural stuff lol

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I agree in the most part, but I've always had democracy and fairness issues with royalty when one can only be head of state by accident of birth.
1282 when Llewellyn ap Gruffydd was beaten there was the creation of 'Prince of Wales' and so the story continues.
Personally I would let them keep whatever personal wealth they have but lose the constitutional right of birth to become head of state. I think that is a reasonable position...but then I am Welsh lol

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It doesn't matter because the U.S.A National Anthem kicks ass.....

lmao.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Hahaha! Good answer!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

We should have a lotto for it
once a year a new king or queen is plucked out randomly lol.
Oh the headlines in the sun If I got in lol.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: minusinfinity
It doesn't matter because the U.S.A National Anthem kicks ass.....

lmao.

I like it also here it is. didn't know it had swear words (warning
)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: minusinfinity
Still has a God reference in the last verse "In God is our trust" but it's not in-you-face-god-stuff like the British anthem so I'll give you it's an improvement.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It does - you're right. I concede.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join