It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all here to discredit each other?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So I've been an ATSer for some time now - and I seem to note this recurring theme of discrediting before crediting.

Every post here was composed with the posters belief that whatever they are posting is real and valid - otherwise they wouldn't be posting it.

This being said; why is the communities immediate response to anything questionable - that the topic is moot, or the sources are invalid, or the video was CG'd?

To me, it's this sort of lack of open-mindedness that has us trapped in this society; in part.

Why can't we put ourselves in someone else's shoes? Assume, that someone's 'IIS SEES SPACE SHIP' thread IS valid; before assuming that it isn't. If you can still discredit it from That perspective, then feel free - but making sure that you're the one that discredits the video before anyone else can promote it - doesn't help any of us.

How many thousand videos uploaded to ATS? How many have been discredited? How many in the first reply? How many of those discredited films do us ATSers believe to be real?

I'd bet every time, that the OP and anyone who started with an 'open mind', finds potential in most of these examples - but anyone who clicked on a heading with any skepticism and immediately replied with doubt - doesn't.

Just an observation; and hope, that the evolving availability of information doesn't lead us to further misdirection.

We're all here because we want to know, right? Then stop pretending that you know best - you might be a 15-year JPL Engineer with degrees in 20 fields of study - but you might be wrong.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

I'm gonna say well said

I have been reading a thread today..and it's sad to me.. Everyone seems to just be at each other's throats for no reason...
I wish they could just discuss it and respect others beliefs... Oh sigh..

Eta- it's fine if you don't agree...but discuss and not attack. I think that's what the op meant by this thread, I could be wrong. It just seems like there is a lack of respect for others beliefs..
edit on 21-5-2014 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Are you saying people shouldn´t speak out when they disagree? It´s their right, and without discussion other than "bowing deeper than Obama " would be very boring.
I like the diversity in conversations, it makes me think and i appreaciate that in conversation.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Stop messing with my self-delusional reality man!

I just got the place all fixed up nice and neat and I don't need you coming here messing it all up with your ugly facts!

OMG--- Did you just spill truth on my carpet?

Quick put some baking soda on it before it leaves a stain on my Madison Ave, inflated ego, special edition "If it was on TV it has to be true" rug!!!!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I think because as we grow as people and a community here, all one has to do is to scan thru the NEW heading of threads, whereas many dont. And when even the minimum searching for and researching into has been overlooked, we can get weary of trying to explain "we have a thread on that" or "its been proven fake", or "you knew that source was a phony rt?".

I know. Everyone has to learn, but some just jump in with "Guess what I saw! This cool video on YouTube about the..." and perhaps we've all seen it, dis-proved it, dis-credited it, or have already discussed it. And maybe its just us being tired of some topics that for some are new, but for us...they are old, re-hashed and hashed out....

I suppose we should be more tolerant, but the way I explained it is how I think we perceive these issues/threads/topics/posts/sources.

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The "noisy negativists" here all sing from the same hymn sheet, well most anyway.
It's a part of the ATS experience in my opinion whether it's good or not.

But to all future OP's, please don't be put of by this groundhog day style attacks on threads, because nobody can ever make you feel average without your permission.

When you see these telling signs:

1.) Don't bother us with the facts, our minds are made up.

2.)If we can't attack the data, we will attack the people; it is much easier.

3.) Do one's research by proclamation, rather than investigation. It is much easier and most people won't know the difference.

You know you're onto something

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

To me, it's this sort of lack of open-mindedness that has us trapped in this society; in part. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If by "open-mindedness" you mean you have you have to accept the OP's premise well... that is silly. The sites motto is Deny Ignorance. Ignorance isn't a bad thing, it means a lack of knowledge. If your post is easily refuted by facts in the second post then your post may be full of issues...right?

V

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There are some here that interpret deny ignorance as sledge everything,those that believe the world is truly black or white and to whom a paranormal experience involves a bad taco.I myself have seen ghosts and had many grey area or paranormal experiences perhaps there is a logical explanation for example dogs can hear a far greater range of frequency than us and other animals have vision in other spectrums perhaps under certain circumstances some of us have expanded senses/consciousness of course if you have never experienced such a thing you have no frame of reference.

I do agree with the anti-ufo posters though the only weird stuff up there is black project stuff after 60 years not one piece of evidence seems to have a steady hand and focus.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hey I do agree with you I thk there should be more open mindedness on ATS. But at the same time I thik the menaing of this sit eis to ge tpast the lies andge t at the truth. The bulk of what is on the internet is mostly lies correct. So it would stand to reeason that people do question first and come with a skeptics mentality ,so we can pick it apart and see if what the OP is saying is truthful or if there is validity to what point there trying to make. But yes we still do need to be open minded

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: skyblueworld

That one cuts both ways.

Again how many times do we see attacks on like Dis-info agent or shill leveled at members offering explanations for videos presented ?

3.) Do one's research by proclamation, rather than investigation. It is much easier and most people won't know the difference.

How many people post a video and then research it or better still research it before posting ? , at least some of those that offer explanations post evidence to back up their point.

If a video is CGI or of something known to a member then why shouldn't they post offering their experience and knowledge , surely the idea here is to deny ignorance and sort the wheat from the chaff , granted there is much chaff and very little wheat but that's the nature of things Alien and UFO related.
Most of us want to find evidence of Aliens but that evidence needs to be undeniable and stand on its own merit not be the product of just open minded belief.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Variable

To me, it's this sort of lack of open-mindedness that has us trapped in this society; in part. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

If by "open-mindedness" you mean you have you have to accept the OP's premise well... that is silly. The sites motto is Deny Ignorance. Ignorance isn't a bad thing, it means a lack of knowledge. If your post is easily refuted by facts in the second post then your post may be full of issues...right?

V

Not my meaning - my meaning, is that unless you acknowledge the Potential that the OP is correct, you are negating all possibility.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: natalia

I'm gonna say well said

I have been reading a thread today..and it's sad to me.. Everyone seems to just be at each other's throats for no reason...
I wish they could just discuss it and respect others beliefs... Oh sigh..

Eta- it's fine if you don't agree...but discuss and not attack. I think that's what the op meant by this thread, I could be wrong. It just seems like there is a lack of respect for others beliefs..

Nailed it.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: skyblueworld

That one cuts both ways.

Again how many times do we see attacks on like Dis-info agent or shill leveled at members offering explanations for videos presented ?

How many people post a video and then research it or better still research it before posting ? , at least some of those that offer explanations post evidence to back up their point.

If a video is CGI or of something known to a member then why shouldn't they post offering their experience and knowledge , surely the idea here is to deny ignorance and sort the wheat from the chaff , granted there is much chaff and very little wheat but that's the nature of things Alien and UFO related.
Most of us want to find evidence of Aliens but that evidence needs to be undeniable and stand on its own merit not be the product of just open minded belief.

I highly encourage that this sort of thing be pointed out - I'm not saying that 'If something is wrong you shouldn't discredit it' - I'm saying that we should all stop discrediting people before allowing the potential for their correctness.

Can you please define to me, what 'evidence' you would need that there are extra-terrestrials? Video testimonies aren't enough ( because they're all CG [/sarcasm] ), personal testimonies from respectable military personnel isn't enough - what else can anyone produce in this era? I cannot share my thoughts with you ( by most assessments... ), so by that logic I cannot Show you what -I- Have seen...

My whole point here; which I believe was taken away properly - is that we should allow ourselves to accept things we sometimes do not believe. We should not discredit those who believe in something, simply because we do not believe. Their belief is just as strong as yours, and nothing makes your belief more true than theirs. Such is belief.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Are you saying people shouldn´t speak out when they disagree? It´s their right, and without discussion other than "bowing deeper than Obama " would be very boring.
I like the diversity in conversations, it makes me think and i appreaciate that in conversation.

Not my point at all - the diversity is what prevents ignorance; as it were - and I do often take valid points away from 'attacks' on posts; my point - is that every post shouldn't be approached with the intent to negate.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

I think because as we grow as people and a community here, all one has to do is to scan thru the NEW heading of threads, whereas many dont. And when even the minimum searching for and researching into has been overlooked, we can get weary of trying to explain "we have a thread on that" or "its been proven fake", or "you knew that source was a phony rt?".

I know. Everyone has to learn, but some just jump in with "Guess what I saw! This cool video on YouTube about the..." and perhaps we've all seen it, dis-proved it, dis-credited it, or have already discussed it. And maybe its just us being tired of some topics that for some are new, but for us...they are old, re-hashed and hashed out....

I suppose we should be more tolerant, but the way I explained it is how I think we perceive these issues/threads/topics/posts/sources.

A valid point my friend, but as you stated at the end of your post - We should be more tolerant.

It's not that repeat-posts shouldn't be treated as such, or that the research shouldn't be done first - it's that regardless of what may have been someone's best attempt - they are still berated and devalued. This has been an insult to me in the past, and I hate that I see it recur in such scale.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just take a look at the time of posting on the deniers posts. If they're 2 minutes after the threads been posted, and the op has a 40 minute video, then its quite obvious their intentions.

If people wont bother to look at the evidence offered then we shouldn't reply to them! We should make that an unofficial rule on ats.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Can you please define to me, what 'evidence' you would need that there are extra-terrestrials?

I need no evidence that there are Extraterrestrials I'm sure there are , what I need is evidence they are coming here , I was up until a couple of years ago a firm believer that there were / are ETs coming here but when I decided to put the belief to one side and look for evidence of visitation I discovered that there is none , at least none that could satisfy me , testimony is fine but it isn't evidence.

I want to see ET and ET craft so bad it hurts but I will no longer fool myself into believing something just because I want it to be true , there comes a time when belief alone isn't enough , even so I remain open to the possibility and hope that one day we will find the evidence for ET visitation either past or present.

edit on 21-5-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I know. I agree...we should be more tolerant.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
People get too emotionaly attached to what they believe in, its hard for most to detatch ourselves and think outside the box

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Why would one NOT comment on a topic one believed to be erroneous? I think the issue should be more why should we believe or disbelieve according to the comments we read as opposed to what we read and then choose to investigate. Never be influenced by opinion if one can practically form one's own opinion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join