It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writers--help me build a collaborative apocalypse role play

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Folks, its come to my attention that the Short Stories forum hasn't been up and about lately (understandably of course, we all have our own lives and other things to tend to). So--since I don't have the power to start a contest--I propose we manifest a collaborative role play.

Also, I'm looking for an article writing job so that I can get some journalism experience--and storytelling is my all time favorite method of practice writing. I want to better my writing skills.

Here's the thing, though. Its much more fun to build a story WITH people. I've hosted a role play once before, and nothing is funner than grasping new perspectives, characters, motives and word structures when you're a story junkie.

The role play wouldn't be held in this thread. This is the idea thread.

I also haven't decided if I should post the role play in Collaborative Writing (that's what a role play is), or here in the STF. I'd like everyone, even those without writer's status, to be able to participate.

As cliche as it is, I want the setting to be a current SHTF apocalypse scenario.

All our characters would be seniors in high school, and we'd all be sitting in class when the stuff hits the fan.

I've always wanted to construct a story based on this synopsis, but I get caught up in my other stories... and life in general.

BUUUUUT, I need ideas. More detailed ideas; the cause of the apocalypse (I don't want to use zombies, they're wayyyy too overused), stuff like that. I'm going to be the story teller, but I'm gonna lay down some rules which limit any of us from having TOO much control over the story individually. The story is meant to snowball into effect with the force of ALL of our creative power.

I guess that's all I have to present at the moment.

This is meant purely for fun, and you don't have to dedicate a gigantic amount of time to it.

Let me have your ideas!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: XxNightAngelusxX

I'll approve any collaborative writing project that you members wish to have, so long as it's T&C friendly

Note that any who wish to participate will require "Writer" status to post in the Collaborative Writing Forum.

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I'll approve any collaborative writing project that you members wish to have, so long as it's T&C friendly

Note that any who wish to participate will require "Writer" status to post in the Collaborative Writing Forum.

~Tenth

Awesome. And yeah, I know.

Would it be against the rules to post a role play in the Short Stories forum?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Yes, since it's not a collaborative forum. House cleaning and all.

I will entertain the idea of providing writer status to those who wish it, based on their account details.

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Yes, since it's not a collaborative forum. House cleaning and all.

I will entertain the idea of providing writer status to those who wish it, based on their account details.

~Tenth

Right on! Good to know

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Your right zombies are boring these days. Maybe some sort of disease or sickness as the catalyst. Not the zombie disease.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

So each writer would write from the perspective of a different student in the classroom? I love the idea.

I don't think I'm a "writer" on ats (mostly I'm a lurker), but I'm definitely a writer, and I'd love to participate. I'll look into the process for acquiring that status. In the meantime, I've got some specific ideas for apocalypse scenarios I can throw into the mix when I have time very soon.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: magicrat

Awesome! Talk to Tenth about the writer's status thing.

I haven't had the status very long and this will be my first post in that forum, so I'm fairly new to it too.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
So, why didn't any of the teachers at the high school survive? It's a hard story to swallow.
edit on 20-5-2014 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The power grid and infrastructure collapse for some unkown reason and it's left to savy, intelligent teens to
put everything back to normal with the help of unseen forces they enlist thru use of majic.

just an idea I'm throwing out there.....
edit on 20-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think it would be more interesting if a mixed bag of people who happen to be at the school that day survive, most students because they're the bulk, but some not. Think of all the people who happen to be in a school on any given day for any given reason - anyone from your janitor to a random Xerox repair guy or IT man (or woman). There might even be someone who just came in with the intent end it all with a bang and take as many as he or she could with them ... but then ... well, let's say there's suddenly a whole new perspective on life.

As for apocalypse scenarios, I agree that zombies are way overdone.

Now, how about supervolcanic eruption, massive earthquake that unzips the North American continent in two from the Great Lakes to the Gulf, EMP attack that crashes the power grid, or there are bio threats. The Government collapses into a tyranny. An outbreak of Civil War (or any war). The sudden and catastrophic re-emergence of arcane magic into the world.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm interested in joining in, and I've contacted Tenth regarding 'Writer' status.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

...As cliche as it is, I want the setting to be a current SHTF apocalypse scenario.

All our characters would be seniors in high school, and we'd all be sitting in class when the stuff hits the fan...

Mystery Meat Cafeteria Thursdays.... sounds like another Zombie-fied theme to me
only the 18 year olds with iron stomachs survive the apocalypse

best to youse all

I would like to submit this idea===>
the year 2016, President Obama leaves office and seeks acclamation by both the Shiite & Sunni Muslims to be installed as the Caliph of a newly created Caliphate which includes the lands of Turkey, Iraq, Iran...
.he promises to continue the work of preparing-the-way for the returning Mahdi...and cites his actions of dismantling and Transforming the USA's economic , social, health, military sectors as proof he has come to sow Chaos in the world so the 12th Imam can return to world in utter chaos/confusion/disarray/lawlessness...

.02 cents

edit on th31140063063120032014 by St Udio because: the 'th' after 12

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
uno mas...

Aliens invade and use a highschool as the base to execute their diabolical plan to take over Earth.
But one of the aliens falls in love with one of the extra hot cheerleaders and it's up to her to use her feminine charms to get information, relay it to the football team who kicks the **** out of the aliens and Earth is saved.

For the screenplay, I would cast Dakota Fanning as the extra hot cheerleader.

photos.extratv.warnerbros.com...
edit on 20-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
A computer virus goes techno-organic. It infects people when they surf the Internet and hit infected sites. The thing is that they don't know they've been infected until the day of DOOOM when the virus is activated by single signal beamed through everyone's smart phones. By then, about 75% of the world's population is infected and begins getting sick and dying.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Everyone;

So, why didn't any of the teachers at the high school survive? It's a hard story to swallow. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Who says they didn't survive? Everyone outside of the classroom doesn't just drop dead, the classroom is simply where most of the main characters will start, teacher included. Also, who wants to be the teacher? The position is open. My character is going to be a student.

The power grid and infrastructure collapse for some unkown reason and it's left to savy, intelligent teens to
put everything back to normal with the help of unseen forces they enlist thru use of majic. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm all for infrastructure collapse, but I'm trying to keep the story as realistic as possible... so I can't use magic (sorry)

I think it would be more interesting if a mixed bag of people who happen to be at the school that day survive, most students because they're the bulk, but some not. Think of all the people who happen to be in a school on any given day for any given reason - anyone from your janitor to a random Xerox repair guy or IT man (or woman). There might even be someone who just came in with the intent end it all with a bang and take as many as he or she could with them ... but then ... well, let's say there's suddenly a whole new perspective on life.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Alright... your character doesn't HAVE to start out in the classroom, that was just my first idea. Your character must be in or near the school, though... because they're all going to mob into a group of survivalistic misfits eventually, so they have to be near by one another. Ideally I wanted most of us to be 18 year olds, but your character can be any age or profession, so long as they have a reason for being around the high school. Characters are expected to have a back story as well, though however much you divulge at the beginning is up to you.

Now, how about supervolcanic eruption, massive earthquake that unzips the North American continent in two from the Great Lakes to the Gulf, EMP attack that crashes the power grid, or there are bio threats. The Government collapses into a tyranny. An outbreak of Civil War (or any war). The sudden and catastrophic re-emergence of arcane magic into the world.
- See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think its going to be a combination of economic collapse, and disease spreading following the collapse. So, sort of a martial law/collapse/pandemic combination.

the year 2016, President Obama leaves office and seeks acclamation by both the Shiite & Sunni Muslims to be installed as the Caliph of a newly created Caliphate which includes the lands of Turkey, Iraq, Iran... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I like that, except it may be just a little further in the future (not much, maybe the year 2025-ish) during which Obama may not be in power. Rest assured though, whoever ends up in power is sure to screw us over, don't worry.

Aliens invade and use a highschool as the base to execute their diabolical plan to take over Earth.
But one of the aliens falls in love with one of the extra hot cheerleaders and it's up to her to use her feminine charms to get information, relay it to the football team who kicks the **** out of the aliens and Earth is saved. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I honestly really enjoy this idea, but I kinda want this story to be a little more down to earth (no pun). That would make a fantastic sci-fi story.

edit on Xx25370731PM57 by XxNightAngelusxX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Oh, I wasn't saying my character had to be something else. It just sounded in your op like your character had to be a high school student. I have some ideas rattling around that would plausibly be in the classroom.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Aaaaaaaalrighty then!

I'm gonna keep taking ideas until tomorrow evening. That's when I'm gonna post the story thread in Collaborative Writing and give everyone the rules and basic character sheet composition.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

As a side note, create two threads.

One a working thread, where all the writers can discuss and come together, the 2nd the actually story thread where the entries are posted.

I will act as staff support for anything you guys need.

~Tenth

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

As a side note, create two threads.

One a working thread, where all the writers can discuss and come together, the 2nd the actually story thread where the entries are posted.

I will act as staff support for anything you guys need.

~Tenth

Koolness, I was thinking this thread might expand into the "discussion, questions, & ideas" thread as we continue to construct the story. If anyone has questions or ideas, THIS is the thread ofr them, not the story thread itself.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join