It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As if I needed another reason to quit smoking...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Tobacco companies use child labor on their farms, exposing kids as young as 6 to nicotine, pesticides, and dangerous work.

www.hrw.org...

The kids are getting poisoned by absorbing nicotine from the plants. This is horrible and completely legal.

And don't try to say e-cigs are better, because the nicotine in the cartridges comes from tobacco plants, harvested by kids.

I'm so done.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Good luck to you! I quit Aug. 19, 2001 and I've never looked back. BEST thing I've ever done for myself.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK, I'm confused on something.
Why are children under 16 working period? Isn't that illegal? Is it that they are working on their own family farms?
WTH?

Not that it is ok for anyone, but I thought there were laws to protect kids? Here in MI you have to be 16, unless it is a family owned business.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ZeroReady

People, myself included, have tried and failed to quit smoking for a multitude of reasons. Do "They" really think moral proclivities aside, people are in any way going to quit just because child labour is involved in the production process and cultivation of the Tobacco plant?

I see hundreds of people wearing Nike Air everyday, produced by the same child labour. People still were those along with a multitude of other products produced by children.

I'm not saying it's in any way correct, just pointing out that society does not seem to give a damn!
edit on 15-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Quit smoking after 13 years. Best thing you can do for yourself. The wheezing goes away right away. Then after you're done coughing up all the Poo in your lungs you're home free

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

More than likely they are family farms. Whenever my Dad deployed somewhere he'd send us kids to my Grampas farm, where we all helped out. I was toting milk buckets at five, riding the lawnmower by 7, (I still love mowing grass), got my first rifle at 8yrs and learned to hunt, was driving the one of the tractors in the field by ten. When I was 14 I was riding a bike 15 miles to work in a kitchen in Wisconsin Dells during the summer, By sixteen, I was in charge of the Produce Dept and worked a second job at the local airport fueling planes and running the radio. I've been working my whole life. Even after retiring I continued to work until I injured myself, yet still do volunteer at a friends farm. (At least there I can work at my own pace...slow)

I'm not a fan of child labor laws, but understand why they were put in place.
edit on 15-5-2014 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

It does not have to be a family owned farm. I worked picking berries, apples, bailing hay, and fixed fences from about 6 years old during the summer. Farms have different labor laws and actually don't technically have to pay minimum wage....7.25 an hour is better than 10 cents a bail or 25 cents a basket for berries...better stop eating produce too! Looks like rules have changed a little...
edit on 15-5-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I see no problem with kids working it will keep them from running the streets all night.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hmmm...
6 years old?
And I was sure there were laws against such, it seems the slave labor would be much more of a concern to the public at large.
Work permits and all as an above poster has mentioned.
I smoke, even roll my own and have for a long time now.
Don't plan on quitting either, I enjoy it.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Maybe if they made shoes, computers or some other socially accepted product, there'd be more of an outrage.

Maybe if a group is pissed off enough at them, they'll exploit this fact.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Kids work - I had the joy of strawberry picking when I was a kid, that was hard and it sucked, but my parents knew the the farmer and there were times my brother and I tried to quit (or get tossed off) but he never did it. That was grade school age, I don't know, mabye 5th and 6th grade. Nothing wrong with kids working, within reason...

originally posted by: ZeroReady

OP - you will do what you set your mind to., there is no "luck" to quitting. You just do (or don't) - kudos for the decision.

edit on 15-5-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join