It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Science Ever Advance Enough to Disprove Religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Will science ever reach the point where they can flat out disprove religion?

IMHO they already have. Not really the concept of god, but the anchient texts. -

Disproving religion and disproving ancient texts written by man about religion are very different endeavors.
Any specific religion you have in mind?

At one point in history, the summer and winter solstice' were a religious celebration, yet it would be hard to discount the existence of them.
edit on 29-4-2014 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Religious believers have been trying to find some proof of religion for thousands of years.
While science has been trying to disprove it for the last 100 years.

Again, what religion do you speak of?
Paganism is a religion.

No S&F for you, because I suspect your motives.

Jah Rastafari!
(Jah being short for "Jahweh" or "Jehovah")
"Jesus" or "Yeshua", that is.

Again, what religion is it that will be disproven?
Zoroastrianism?

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

I think the concept of religion in general. Or atleast the concept of an omnipotent god.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

I think the concept of religion in general. Or atleast the concept of an omnipotent god will be disproven.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Ask why 4000 years ago they knew the earth was round yet it took us till 1700's to discover that?

The Bible talks about it in Isaiah

Science only reveals the more we know the less modern thought makes sense. Darwins theory is still a theory, there is no conclusive link and evolution requires more faith than someone believing in a creator. I'd find it too hard to believe all we are came from the ocean and those creatures came from a microbe that magically appeared after a molten earth cooled that was formed from dust (yes dust!) revolving around a sun that appeared somehow from a big bang of nothing with nothing from nothing.

Creation in that light makes a million times more sense logically but science is still to catch upon that in my book.

But hey, if you have more faith than I do all credit to you.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: ketsuko

I would disgree on the basis religion and science are both belief systems, science is more applicable but to someone whom put's there FAITH in science how is it less a religion than someone whom put's there faith in a deity, both are religions if you look at it like that but don't tell the humanist atheist's or they may have an epithany.

science can prove and explain "religion" right now, i think. social psychology and such.

faith and belief in God, not so much.

religion is a human construct, tho, created around a common belief and faith.

a social system. much like academia and science. wait! just like them!

i think the OP has mixed apples and oranges and a dash of banana's.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

It already has!!! It called not being an idiot!

Its called not being delusional. Comes under mental illnesses

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordGoofus
"The earth was created by dust forming together over a long period of time"
the Koran teaches that the early universe was in a state of ''smoke''

"Scientists discover definitive, irrefutable proof that the big bang is how the universe came into existence and can create a computer simulation proving as such"
"
The koran states that the earth and ''heavens'' were once together before being split.
edit on 29-4-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Maximus2014

But that's only because we have been brainwashed to believe in Christianity and the concept of god since birth.. But the concept of the Big Bang you only just began learning about. None of us have ever seen anything outside the laws of physics. We've seen things that were long shots ... But nothing impossible

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sk0rpi0n

I don't know the Koran.... But I'm assuming it's like the bible. Where for every thing you can point out that fits. I can point out 10 that don"t.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n

originally posted by: LordGoofus
"The earth was created by dust forming together over a long period of time"
the Koran teaches that the early universe was in a state of ''smoke''

"Scientists discover definitive, irrefutable proof that the big bang is how the universe came into existence and can create a computer simulation proving as such"
"
The koran states that the earth and ''heavens'' were once together before being split.

I do not know the Koran, but that would fit more in what science thinks, than what the Bible teaches.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArtemisE

I don't know the Koran.... But I'm assuming it's like the bible. Where for every thing you can point out that fits. I can point out 10 that don"t.
google ''scientists convert to islam''. Scientists from all over the world embrace Islam more than any other religion. They choose Islam on the basis of its scientific accuracy. They are intellectually honest people who go where the truth takes them and they do not use ''God does not exist'' as a starting point in their outlook on life.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

That's hubris. "I don't know" you admit it freely, but you claim you can already disprove it.

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Why does science need to disprove religion and vice-versa? I never understood (beyond the normal zealots on both sides) how they have a shared relationship save power and control over the masses....

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Doesn't Islam, Christianity and Judaism all have the same creation story? The same debunked creation story? I'm seriously asking I thought they did , but im not above being wrong.

Dude for thousands of years people
have tried to come up with proof of the after life. ANY proof. What do we hear about? Ledgends from a thousand plus years ago? 80% of the US are believers.... As are most other countries. Each one of them dying to prove there faith is the right one. What proof have the multitude of believers come up with ? Bub kiss... Nada. nuthin....a few tales of near death experiences and a couple of really vague prophecies.

edit on 29-4-2014 by ArtemisE because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Just as a believer must prove a perceived negative (life after death), you too must prove a perceived negative that there is no life after death. That is the great mystery of Life itself; as "the dead cannot reveal any secrets".

I am still confounded on how one cannot reconcile the two -- science and faith. I believe, but also have a profound respect for knowledge and science. To me, there are limits in which science cannot explain and there are multitudes of occurrences on that very notion. There are also instances in which science directly contradicts many of faith's lore that are told.

Argument aside, faith doesn't have to have a root in the real world as it is beyond the physical state in which we typically view ourselves. Faith employes the ideals that this life is not the only life we live. It may or may not be true, but doesn't have to contradict science at all.

Only zealots allow that to happen; just as zealots in science believe all faith-bearing humans must be ignorant...

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Doesn't Islam, Christianity and Judaism all have the same creation story? The same debunked creation story? I'm seriously asking I thought they did , but im not above being wrong.

Dude for thousands of years people
have tried to come up with proof of the after life. ANY proof. What do we hear about? Ledgends from a thousand plus years ago? 80% of the US are believers.... As are most other countries. Each one of them dying to prove there faith is the right one. What proof have the multitude of believers come up with ? Bub kiss... Nada. nuthin....a few tales of near death experiences and a couple of really vague prophecies.

F=ma

This formula only works if you understand the meaning of the symbols, the formula itself along with most great breakthroughs in the sciences was procured by one with curious ties to the supernatural.

The letters you combine to form meaning are meaningless to those who do not know them.

Truly sad, and you don't even comment on my reference to a prophecy you would be familiar with other then calling it vague. That is if you were commenting on it at all.

Your argument may as well be, "I don't speak Russian, so there is no such thing as the supernatural."

-FBB
edit on 29-4-2014 by FriedBabelBroccoli because: 101

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

No, belief and or perspective, is a tenant of consciousness. A concept that is the medium of scientific discovery, yet the most illusive structure known to exist.
edit on 29-4-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
double
edit on 29-4-2014 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
double post. See next page.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join