It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dome homes are anti tornado, fire, quake, rot, emp, termite, etc

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: immoralist

Greetings,

Municipalities or neighborhood associations can no longer prevent domes. Court cases have proved that.

As for underground. the econodome.com was featured in pop sc mag several years ago.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The really sad thing about domes and other more environmentally friendly homes, is that for all of the bluster and rhetoric about saving the planet and going green, the reality is that a home of equal size or bigger is still cheaper than one that would be more sustainable or resistant to natural disaster. Now if those groups to make such homes not only affordable but slightly less than its counterpart that would have a bigger carbon footprint and show that such is more economically viable, then it would gain more appeal across the country.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It would be pretty sweet to have two levels and a thick glass roof
What a bedroom that would be.

Obviously not for use in a tornado.....
edit on b29291023 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Greetings,

Not true.

Check the turn key cost of an econodme.com.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

Beautiful houses! And I didn't know they are so safe!

I'd love to live in a Hobbit type house.... *sigh*.......

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The OP should clarify his post title, "anti tornado, fire, quake, rot, emp, termite, etc" are not due to the dome design, rather it is due to the reinforced monolithic slab construction. Just about any design using monolithic concrete construction will inherently be stronger and more resistant to the forces of nature.

I personally prefer passive earth sheltered designs along the lines of Malcolm Wells. Designs are much more accommodating than domes. Dome designs were a fad that died out in the 70's mainly due to their design limitations.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Greetings,

Not true. IT IS the design that makes domes perform so well.

High winds cannot develop the high lift on a dome structure and the air has less resistance on the lower part.
Ex. A hip roof will house will have less damage in smaller tornadoes than a gable house because the air can more easily flow over. If you go thru a sub division after a storm you can see this for yourself.

If you do a web search you'll find domes that survived tornadoes with minor to no damage.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: GeorgeH

You're missing my point, it's the monolithic in monolithic domes that make them 'fire, rot, earthquake, & termite proof.' Just about any design built using reinforced monolithic concrete construction will inherently be safer. The post tile is missing that qualifier.

Most dome homes are not built using monolithic concrete construction, using instead panelized wood framing following a geodesic design, some even with cupolas and dormers, and are just as susceptible to wind, fire, termites as any home. For above ground wood framed domes there's a reason why most states have building codes in place requiring hurricane strapping at the foundation. (As opposed to most homes where you might have hurricane strapping between the roof framing and walls.)

If your goal is protection against tornadoes, I would consider earth sheltered homes as the ultimate in safety. And much more affordable.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833
a reply to: Bedlam

I never heard of ICF houses
just as I'd never heard of domes until 2 days ago.
Are they as guaranteed tornado, quake, flooding, rotting, mold, termite, projectile and blast proof and do they lower energy bills by 3/4 as well as domes? If so, that sounds like just as great of an option.

Yes to all. But they're more space efficient and don't look stupid.

posted on Apr, 28 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GeorgeH
I have looked at the EcnoDomes, however, I still prefer the concrete monolithic dome, as it would be made of concrete and have a better means of controlling internal environment.

The dome that you are mentioning would use more lumber than what should be..

posted on Apr, 29 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Another benefit that most people would be unaware of is that square rooms can cause some people mental illness. Although this research has been hidden by the corporations that control your governments.

posted on Apr, 30 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This design has been around for many years and while met with a lot of skepticism due to its looks. The old magazine "This Old House" from circa 1998 or so had a full write up with basic plans and materials used. A wire/rebar frame with some wood for fastening the cage. A gunnite like spray for the exterior with spray foam coating inside including a stucco interior finish. The combination makes for an extremely energy efficient building. You could allegedly heat the place with a candle! If I was doing my own new build, I would seriously consider this design as long as the township and land size would allow it.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I'd LOVE to live in a dome home .. up in the hills. I've wanted to for decades. But the reality is that the jobs for us are in the city and we have to live in the dwellings that are already here. A dome set up in the megalopolis just wouldn't work out. There isn't room for it and it would be seriously out of place.

Maybe if we have enough money when we retire. I'd love it.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jinni73

Greetings,

I believe it was in "Black Elk Speaks" that this subject came up.

He said that when the indians lived in tee pees that their girls matured faster than the white girls. When they were forced to live in sq houses then the maturity developed at the same rate as the white girls.

Domes also focus energy into the structure. Some people cannot tolerate the higher levels of energy that's why it is recommended that a person live in a dome for a couple of days to see if they tolerate it.

A person with mental illness might benefit by living in a dome.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Greetings,

If a wood frame home is insulated with radiant barriers it would probably be more efficient. I had the opportunity to compare the energy costs of concrete foam dome vs a radiant barrier home and the RB home was more efficient.

Your second comment--compared to what. The econodome will use a fraction more wood"maybe". There is a play off because the econodome is ten sided compared to the 20 sides of most domes. The additional facets reqiure more corner? faming than the econodome.

posted on May, 1 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Geetings,

I'm familiar with the cost of underground. The wood dome would be considerably cheaper.
Earth shelter homes have their problems too. Condensation being one. Interior air flow another.

Using treated wood on the base components plus copper flashing should protect against termites.

As far as strapping is concerned I recommend that also, although it probably not necessary on a wood dome.

I check periodically on the web for examples of tornado damage to wood frame homes and see only some single damage and some very minor damage to structure over the years.

I have never heard of loss of life in any dome.

Cupolas may not present a problem as they do not offer a large flat surface to the wind. Personally I would not put one on.

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I done this article a while back on my old site.
Yasi, so now what?

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just to mention a few of the issues of domes that I am aware of is that 1.) they are more prone to roof leaks than a conventional home, & 2.) not easy to obtain a conventional home loan/permit for. With that said, sorry if this has already been posted, I am short on time.

A dome company I have followed for many many years www.aidomes.com... ...hurricane/tornado guaranteed.
edit on 2-5-2014 by csimon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: csimon

Greetings,

Yes, because they are singled.

Concrete domes do not have that problem and the wood frame econodome.com also does not have that problem because they use DENS sheathing with a commercial rubberized coating

When I mentioned earlier about a standard home with radiant barrier insulation being more efficient vs a concrete dome, it was the American Ingenuity dome.

You can also apply a ferro cement shell to a wood dome home. you could then a apply the rubberized coating.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Hey was watching the evening news tonight and Obama was saying that people need to learn how to prepare and survive the weather disasters because they are going to become much worse. Admitted Global warming, and said there is going to be a great need for individual states coordinating their own plans as well as individuals as I said to know how to survive and prepare. It was a real eye opener and never before has a thread been more timely or important.

I have GOT to get something going, I would like a partial underground hobbit style dome home, shelter, cold storage.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join