It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier says squatters won't leave his home. Sheriff's Office says it can't do anything about it

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Thats when you make life hell on them and move back into your house. Sure it would suck living right with them but once your inside and a resident of your own house bounce them out. I would bet there is nothing these two could do if this man did this.

I had a similar situation only it was with houseguests who refused to leave. What was originally supposed to be a 2 week stay turned into six months. When it came to an altercation which almost resulted in a fist fight, the police were called. We were told that the only way we could get them out was to legally evict them. We had to file eviction papers which were served 30 days after we filed them, which gave them an additional 30 more days before they had to leave. We couldn't make them leave until then, but we could make their life miserable, which we did.

If I remember correctly, I was told once someone receives mail at your house and/or has been there for 30 days, it makes them a legal resident.
A hard lesson learned for trying to help someone out.
edit on ApramuFri, 25 Apr 2014 11:49:42 -0500amFriAmerica/ChicagoCFri, 25 Apr 2014 11:49:42 -0500am by MauraDeCrapola because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
call the no-crack hotline and make an anonymous tip

if they have kids call family services

lather rinse repeat

be such a pain THEY want to move

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MauraDeCrapola

I know exactly what you went through trying to get them out.

It is a royal pain in the arse. They actually have the upper hand and know how long they can get away with it. Shouldn't be that way!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'm embarrassed to say that something similar happened to me. The squatters were a "professional couple" who worked (and still do) for a major bank. I moved across country and made arrangements with a property management company who ended up collecting and spending the tenants' money instead of paying it to me. Because they had paid the mgmt. company, the renters could not be evicted. When the renters finally found out their money had been squandered, they stayed in the house without paying anyone a nickel for a good long time. I eventually had no choice but to let the bank foreclose, which ruined a previously excellent credit score that I'm still working to restore. Live and learn. Never again, and I hope everyone's karma catches up with them.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: graceunderpressure

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you.

After our terrible tenant experience, we decided to sell the house rather than taking the chance going through that nightmare again.

I'm a firm believer of what goes around, comes around.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I believe initially the eviction laws started out with the right idea and like most laws have been twisted and used to benefit criminals and lawyers. I believe, and I may be wrong, that the original intent of the "notice to evict" was so that the people living there would have ample time to find a new place to live and not be homeless.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MauraDeCrapola
This exact thing happened to my neighbor, I didn't believe it when he told me. But sure enough it was true. He was trying to help out a crackhead friend (female) and she robbed him blind in the process, squatted, stole his car and his bank card etc. He is knida an idiot in general but didn't deserve any of this. Although it made for good entertainment for us across the street until she pushed him over the edge and he ended up in the front yard with his hands around her neck.........

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Why, thank you Mr. Limpet. That was nice of you to say! And I agree...those chickens do come home to roost, eventually.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Having read the following article and postings the following can be stated:

The solution is much more simple than many people would imagine, all one has to do, is simply call the housing authority and make the claim that they are living without say water and electric. As most cities and states do not like that, they will come in and tell them that the utilities have to be turned on, or the house is unlivable. The mortgage owners do not have to agree and out right refuse to turn on the utilities, at all, and refuse to have such turned on. In fact they should go and ensure that the power is turned off, and the box locked, down explaining that they are not living there and when they are ready they will reopen the account. As the house would have no power or water, then the people there will have no choice but to leave, or be forceably removed by the authorities for their own good.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I, We. the household has squatters in the form of a 24 YO grandson..

the loser is both a doper and a mental case weho thinks the harsh world Owes him an easy, 'Trust Fund Baby' kind of leisure life

we paid to have the Ahole get a GED equivalency to join the Service... the recruiter bent over backwards for the slouch...
it all went down the toilet because the doofus kept getting positive results on POT usage

the over-age, eternal tenth grader... has no place and no ambition to get a place of his own (professional Parasite) & my Ahole Ex & the deadbeats mother (my daughter) just keep making excuses for this Sponge
(both the Ex & the daughter's cars are wrecks because of this lame-brain.... the cars are all dented and both windshields are broken & need the glass replaced because of this buttholes activities...
he is a typical 'playstation' afficinado... devoting 6 hrs a day to gaming & might work at a job...(only for the purpose of buying dope) for maybe 8 weeks a year...

the females at this house are enablers, and Michael the' Nuto is happy to have the support of two nincompoops/// I want to get him jailed as a form of 'tough love' but I am constantly overruled because the parasite is "Family"

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

When they leave the house, break in, change the locks and shoot em upon trespass.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Having read the following article and postings the following can be stated:

The solution is much more simple than many people would imagine, all one has to do, is simply call the housing authority and make the claim that they are living without say water and electric. As most cities and states do not like that, they will come in and tell them that the utilities have to be turned on, or the house is unlivable. The mortgage owners do not have to agree and out right refuse to turn on the utilities, at all, and refuse to have such turned on. In fact they should go and ensure that the power is turned off, and the box locked, down explaining that they are not living there and when they are ready they will reopen the account. As the house would have no power or water, then the people there will have no choice but to leave, or be forceably removed by the authorities for their own good.

I had a similar thought, but along the lines of what would cops do with a stand off situation. Block off the area, cut off the water and electric, use loud speakers 24-7 and bright lights on the windows all night until you can get them out of the house.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck
Well right now they do not have water and have to haul it in. The water company will not turn it on, unless the owner of the property chooses to pay and say it is alright. So that is half of it, just need to turn off the electric and wait. They will move either when it gets too hot, or freezing.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
You can not use Squatters rights against a member of the military.

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act (SSCRA) of 1940 50 U.S.C. App. §§501-593. protects the service member from this type of BS.

Calling the local cops was the first problem. They likely don't even know this law is still on the books.

This is a federal court mater.

You can not take property from a active duty member of the armed forces by adverse possession.
His property is protected for the time of active duty and up to 5 years after in some circumstances.(war wounded)

Plus he can still go after these Squatters in court for damages using the The Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act.
Since many judges are ex military he has a good chance of winning.
edit on 26-4-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well, it's all moot now, anyway. One of the veterans motorcycle clubs had a visit ride and the squatters amicably agreed to move out on their own.

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It must be nice to have a motorcycle club ride in like the cavalry. Just seems like vigilante type mob justice and leads me to ask, "Why call the cops anymore?"

posted on Apr, 26 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
It must be nice to have a motorcycle club ride in like the cavalry. Just seems like vigilante type mob justice and leads me to ask, "Why call the cops anymore?"

Especially as the club won't shoot your dog and you don't have to take inventory after they leave. Sort of like firemen on wheels, with tats.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join