It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier says squatters won't leave his home. Sheriff's Office says it can't do anything about it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Having rented our former house out many years ago, this hits a sore spot. While we had a lease agreement, it still took more than 3 months to get the non-paying occupants out ~ all while they completely destroyed our house. If you are lucky to get them out in 6 months, they simply walk away and go do it to the next guy.

This may be more appropriate for the "Rant Forum".

Shouldn't there be more protection for the owners of the home than there is for the un-paying renters or squatters?

NEW PORT RICHEY, FL (WFLA)

When soldier Michael Sharkey was deployed to Afghanistan two years ago, he asked a friend to watch over his New Port Richey house. Sharkey and his wife are now living in Hawaii where he is currently stationed. They plan to move back into their New Port Richey home someday. But, right now they are fighting to get their house back.

They say strangers broke in, changed the locks, moved in and they refuse to leave.

"I want the people out," said Sharkey. "They're criminals living in my house."

Sharkey was shocked to find out that the Pasco County Sheriff's Office says it can't do anything about the squatters.

Here's where it gets complicated.-

Rest of the story here

edit on 24-4-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thats when you make life hell on them and move back into your house. Sure it would suck living right with them but once your inside and a resident of your own house bounce them out. I would bet there is nothing these two could do if this man did this.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
If you don't pay your note it aint no joke. They repo cars of you don't pay your loan.
Why cant they kick out tenants who don't pay their rent?

makes no sense.

Edit: Just like bank property or a lien, the home belongs to another not the tenants.
edit on 4/24/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Move in one day when they are out and shoot them upon entry to your house as trespassers… That sure would be my first thought just saying.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Get one of his friends to break a window phone the cop's and say their has been a break in

The leo's will turn up and shoot them

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

HAHAHA that's almost a better twist to my idea…get them to do your dirty work I like it LOL.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: shaneslaughta
If you don't pay your note it aint no joke. They repo cars of you don't pay your loan.
Why cant they kick out tenants who don't pay their rent?

makes no sense.

Edit: Just like bank property or a lien, the home belongs to another not the tenants.

That's what we thought until we tried to evict them.

They get 30 days here, 30 days there. Then you have to file this and then that, wait for the court date and another court date. It was a nightmare.

Keep in mind, we were still required to pay the mortgage note during that time or the bank would have foreclosed on us in a heartbeat.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
As I predicted last night his local brothers in uniform have resolved the issue for him.

The squatters moved out this morning, leaving dogs of course.

A couple of vet groups announced that they had taken an interest and were planning a motorcycle ride to the house to persuade them to leave, it wasn't needed.

Once the squatters realized they were public they called a few friends and packed up.

These same vet groups are offering to watch the house until the soldier returns.

posted on Apr, 24 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Hmmmmmmm

Bravo!

I am glad this was resolved by peaceful means!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'm glad this has been resolved too. I cannot believe the cops couldn't do anything about it. There shouldn't be such a thing as squatters rights. Who is paying the damned mortgage? Not the squatters. They should have ben arrested!

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Thats when you get your team go in and have a house clearing exercise .. problem solved no more squatters and you perfect your job skills ..

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Storm the house,they'll figure it out REAL QUICK.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Its a mind blowing set of laws

But there are Squatter's rights

They lampooned it in king of the hill, family guy, even beavis and butthead, and TV shows

You hear the fools yell "squatters rights!!!" And the cops leave them alone

Squatter's rights aka Adverse Possession
en.wikipedia.org...

How Squatter's Rights work :
mentalfloss.com...

Excerpt:

Adverse possession allows for real estate to change ownership without payment if someone occupies another person’s property while meeting certain requirements for a set amount of time without the owner getting rid of them. For example, if I build a fence way over my neighbor’s property line and use and maintain the land I’ve fenced off, and my neighbor does nothing about it for a while (exactly how long depends on where we live), I may be able to claim that chunk of his property as my own if he does ever make a fuss. 

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Try to do this at a home belonging to a local superior court judge, prosecutor, or even a police officer's house and see what happens.
I bet the intruders would be out of there quick.
edit on 25-4-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Here is an update to youir post. You should have them update it for you.

Then WFLA reported that two Tampa motorcycle clubs filled with veterans were planning to ride over to the Sharkey residence on Sunday “and peacefully make the squatters uncomfortable.”

With that, Ortiz started packing up, noting the planned biker visit was one of the reasons he and Cardoso were leaving, WFLA said.

link

Seriously someone should have kicked this guys butt.

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This law comes from English semi-anarchy during the Middle Ages.
There was so much violence surrounding disputed claims to possession that it became a problem.
To stop the violence, it was made illegal to take forceful action in re-claiming a house, without elaborate court proceedings first.
edit on 25-4-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Hooray
I wanted to chime in call a militia, seemed to work in Texas when things aren't going your way
And look, they just volunteered themselves
Yes I am being snarky...I believe in homeowners rights, not squatters rights
Its too bad American working class citizens now have to rely on mobs to protect their rights and not the government

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietJoke
a reply to: Hmmmmmmm

Bravo!

I am glad this was resolved by peaceful means!

A job well done by the WFLA "On Your Side" News Team for making this public. Thanks to the vets and others who were able to resolve this in a peaceful manner.

Squatters moving out ~ any vacant houses in the area---BEWARE!

edit on 25-4-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That's awesome!

When a group of individuals take a stand for a single individual, results happen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join