It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is no comfort in the after life.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Consciousness, consciousness without a body. For eternity. This would be the worst scenario to me. Absolute death of the body and mind should be something we look forward to if the other alternative is an eternal state of locked-in syndrome. What I am wondering, and this is the point of my thread:

Could an eternal consciousness that has no body, create an illusion of physical reality with time? And perhaps after eons completely forget that it is all an illusion. If the answer is yes, how do we know this body we live in at the very moment is not such a fake state of existence, created by our consciousness lost in the eternal darkness of death.

P.S Why is Jesse Ventura staring at me.
edit on 42014Saturdaypm430Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:22:40 -0500America/Chicagov22 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

edit on 42014Saturdaypm430Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:23:19 -0500America/Chicagov23 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize I zoomed in a click or two and Jessie doesn't exist .But yea so a eternal soul sounds about right but a promise of a new body that is uncorruptible sounds even better ....peace

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize

Could an eternal consciousness that has no body, create an illusion of physical reality with time?

Maybe if you start out slow, like with one of those cushy toilet seat warmers.
Just kinda ease into everything from there.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Golantrevize
Consciousness, consciousness without a body. For eternity. This would be the worst scenario to me. Absolute death of the body and mind should be something we look forward to if the other alternative is an eternal state of locked-in syndrome. What I am wondering, and this is the point of my thread:

Could an eternal consciousness that has no body, create an illusion of physical reality with time? And perhaps after eons completely forget that it is all an illusion. If the answer is yes, how do we know this body we live in at the very moment is not such a fake state of existence, created by our consciousness lost in the eternal darkness of death.

It may be that our bodies are large scale technology, like our construction machinery for larger jobs, of some much smaller, much sharper and faster intelligence (operating at Planck scale). The hyper-reality and super-intelligence reported in NDE accounts is suggestive that when body is about to be discarded and recycled for parts, the consciousness shifts from the weak, diffuse one associated with the little subprogram running the broken down big machine (body) to that of the much smarter crew that was operating it.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Could very well be as you say but I guess we really can't know but change is at the core of existence so in my opinion death is just a transformation into something else, like liquid water turns to gas or something, you get my point.

You sound so pessimistic about it and what is fake anyway? If the "real" created the "fake" is it less real? It might not be what we started with but it doesn't make it less real, in my opinion. Like if take a picture of my house, of course the picture is not the house but it is a real picture nonetheless.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Konoyaro

Well I am pessimistic if I end up being a consciousness in total darkness with eternity ahead of me yes. Would rather go back to a state of non existence like the eternity before my birth if that is the other option.
edit on 42014Saturdaypm430Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:47:07 -0500America/Chicagov47 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

edit on 42014Saturdaypm430Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:47:44 -0500America/Chicagov47 by Golantrevize because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Consciousness, consciousness without a body.

Without an organic body.
But with a completely different kind of body that fits in the fourth dimension.

Could an eternal consciousness that has no body, create an illusion of physical reality with time?

Like .... could the 'dead' person create a thought form kind of body or a thought form kind of place to experience things? Maybe. We'll find out when we get there.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Ah yes, that does sound terrible indeed! But I think that you don't have to worry about that, think of going to sleep, it's sort of like dying I would imagine. Since change is always occurring I think you don't have to worry about you being conscious in a static darkness for all eternity its just not the way of things to remain the same forever.
edit on 19/4/2014 by Konoyaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Scientifically speaking your mind is dependent on having a body for existence. Your body is like a frame for your mind. Your organic body develops around this mind-body frame, your subconscious mind is what leads your body to develop as it does. Technically you still would have a body even if you weren't self aware. Notice that 2 people with the same genetic code (DNA) could develop differently if one was in their right mind and the other had a distorted mind. A distorted mind during an animals development could coincide with physical distortions as well, this would have implications that mind and body are co-dependent.

Which leads me to my point that soul implies body. It seems pretty obvious from what every after-life oriented tradition or whatever that you do indeed have a soul-body in the after-life. Egyptians preserving their bodies, etc. Animal soul, this implies that your soul is an animal, not just a vague thought-mind floating around with zero substance.

Maybe there's no comfort in the afterlife but at least there's comfort in heaven, safe and sound, and free.

Basically either you die and you rot after you pass from unconscious to fully dead and that's it or you go to the afterlife, body included with your mind.
edit on 19-4-2014 by On7a7higher7plane because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You could be headed for the serious strife .

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

That could definitely be possibility too, life seems to have endless ways to express itself so other sorts of consciousness experiences doesn't seem too far fetched, but as you say I guess will find out sooner or later, but in case your memory is wiped along with your physical body you won't know the difference.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: On7a7higher7plane

That's interesting, I have always thought of myself not only as my consciousness but also my physical body. That is also a reason I do not like the idea of reincarnation of a soul in different body.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

What if the body in the afterlife isn't the same as the ones we are currently in? It may be something different and unknown, but a body nonetheless.

This is an interesting topic and I'd just like to throw it out there, I do take comfort in the afterlife and believe our consciousness carries on, just in a different form.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Me too I can't imagine being what I am without my arms, legs, eyes, ears, nose, heart, etc. to go with it.

But what's with you not feeling comfortable with re-incarnation? There are better bodies out there, better times to be had. Eventually better more spiritual species to move on to incarnate with, possibly.

Heaven's a party, the world is in lock-down mode.

Imagine when God finally finishes the judgement new races of humans spawn from us like super rapid evolution. Humanity could grow far superior, magical. New race-generation children talking about past lives on other planets, drawing pictures of visions. That would rock.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: On7a7higher7plane

Why always striving for something better than being content in the present moment? Seems to me as a waste of good fun. Even if you transform in to higher plane or whatever you should be just as capable of being content with your current situation and body.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Konoyaro

I don't really agree, if you'd cut off my sex and limbs, I would not be content with my situation, and would not see a reason to create contentment when there is none to have.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
this is very interesting, I would like to know where you you have gotten your information ?

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jaytay

Not sure if you are talking to me, but if you are it is just the product of introspection.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I am 55 and I know the day is coming so I am Interested.

posted on Apr, 19 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Only because you fear change, if you had another type of body, my guess is that you would adjust your mode of thinking as appropriate to your circumstances, just as somebody who is born without limbs or the like.
Being content with your situation doesn't have to mean passivity to injustices, you can fight all you want but be one with your situation, accept change or you'll drown swimming against the current.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join