It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida man allegedly smothered crying son to play video games

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
First off, not sure if this is the correct forum but guessing this has to do with someone not working and playing games all day so it kinda fit the unemployment profile for this forum. If I am wrong, please move to a more appropriate area.

WTF is wrong with people? I have heard about malnourished kids and other stories similar to this one in the past and I really am baffled by how callous and uncaring individuals can be. I have known people who have gotten so caught up in games they will stay up for a couple days straight playing, granted none had kids, but seriously....ITS A GAME!!!!!!!

This kind of story truly blows my mind. Makes me want to throw away all electronics and just completely disconnect from everything and get back to basics and nature and plain old fashioned exploring for fun.

This kind of story makes me wish for the "eye for and eye" punishment....he should be put down the same way he did his own child.

Source

Wygant said he was frustrated because the boy was crying uncontrollably, preventing him from playing his Xbox games, according to investigators. He covered the boy's nose and mouth for three to four minutes until he became lethargic, then placed him in a playpen and covered him with bedding, which was tucked around the boy's body and head, officials said.

edit on 4/18/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
unbelievable. he should have switched off the damn game and attended to the child.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Revolting

Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people?
Somehow, this doesn't surprise me though. People do all sorts of stupid/immoral things to their children while in addiction.

I hope while he's locked up the thought of what he's done and his child's trusting face haunts him for decades.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'd kick his chair. Prick.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

These people are ADDICTED to technology, it happens all the time but gets overlooked.
The adrenaline rush from the game releases endorphins just like drugs do.

It is very wide spread, some even stay on community websites for days and years on end.
Chatting there lives away for meaningless tokens. . .
edit on 4/18/2014 by AnteBellum because: add

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Horrifying.

Not sure why you would mention being unemployed though. I don't see a connection between not having a job, playing video games and brutally murdering your own infant son.

Or have I missed something where being unemployed turns people into pure evil?

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pimpish
Horrifying.

Not sure why you would mention being unemployed though. I don't see a connection between not having a job, playing video games and brutally murdering your own infant son.

The timeline for the child's death would put it during when most people would be at work. My thought is this guy was unemployed and playing games all day/night. It is very common for people with this type of addiction to not have a job. No connection other than this waste of space was playing games and shucking any responsibility for anything in his life apparently.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm sure he will pay dearly for the mistake.

But I know in my heart when he dies he will discover his son forgives and loves him very much.
If he can why cannot we?

We need a better 'mental-emotional health and education' approach as a society.

I know it sounds odd but we need more folks like therapists, teachers, ministers, sports coaches etc.
And less lawyers, judges, police-security, etc.
For real....

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Sometimes, eugenics, abortion or death penalty doesn`t sound like such a bad idea.

We have proof right there.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I know it sounds odd but we need more folks like therapists, teachers, ministers, sports coaches etc.
And less lawyers, judges, police-security, etc.
For real....

I agree to a certain guarded extent, I'm not ready just yet to toss on a white robe and sing Kumbaya barefoot in a peach grove. People/society on the whole must change first otherwise we'd be creating mass amounts of potential victims.
edit on 18-4-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

I agree to a certain guarded extent, I'm not ready just yet to toss on a white robe and sing Kumbaya barefoot in a peach grove. People/society on the whole must change first otherwise we'd be creating mass amounts of potential victims.

Agree 100%.
It's only rational to go one step at a time and realize it will take a lot of time.
And it will never be easy for anyone.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

The timeline for the child's death would put it during when most people would be at work. My thought is this guy was unemployed and playing games all day/night. It is very common for people with this type of addiction to not have a job. No connection other than this waste of space was playing games and shucking any responsibility for anything in his life apparently.

Most people are at work at 1 a.m.? Regardless, you're making many assumptions and seem to have a grudge against unemployed people. Why even bring that up? It wasn't part of this story, which stands on its own and is horrible enough. There's zero reason to even bring up this guy's employment status.

Let's assume he is indeed unemployed, why would that have any bearing at all on this story? It's not like he said, "Well, I'm unemployed and we couldn't afford the child so..."

Pretty soon Obama is going to get blamed for this.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I'm no Obummer supporter but you made me laugh and a good point.

Now, Could/Should Bill Gates/Microsquish be held liable? I personally don't see how. Given that it seems most things we enjoy doing are addicting to a certain extent.

*Put the phone texting on hold for just a few minutes, you know who you are

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Most people are at work at 1 a.m.? Regardless, you're making many assumptions and seem to have a grudge against unemployed people. Why even bring that up? It wasn't part of this story, which stands on its own and is horrible enough. There's zero reason to even bring up this guy's employment status.

Let's assume he is indeed unemployed, why would that have any bearing at all on this story? It's not like he said, "Well, I'm unemployed and we couldn't afford the child so..."

I usually get a pretty good "read" on people. I am actually better at it when I read it in a news story or paper or magazine or email than I am in person though in person I get a "feeling" about them as well. Lo and behold it appears as though my read was correct on this one as well.

And no...I don't have anything against unemployed....I do have something against those who are unemployed and choose not to seek employment and instead waste their lives away like this POS. Maybe if he WAS gainfully employed and actually had to sleep at night instead of play games and watch shows around the clock this would not have happened. Seems he was a real winner all around....

Wygant, who moved to Florida in January and is unemployed, has a criminal record in California that includes a rape charge, officials said.

Source
e dit on 4/18/14 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Now that, I agree is completely relevant and should be included. The fact that he's unemployed and plays video games has no bearing on it. The guy is messed in the head, clearly. Video games and being jobless did not cause it.

edit on 18-4-2014 by Pimpish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Now that, I agree is completely relevant and should be included. The fact that he's unemployed and plays video games has no bearing on it. The guy is messed in the head, clearly. Video games and being jobless did not cause it.

My point being, though I am not religious, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop." And yes, I think him having nothing to do but sit around and play games and being unemployed played a big factor in this. Video games and unemployed did not cause it, but were a factor.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
He just stopped stupid in its tracks, yeah I feel sorry for the kid but if it ran in the family it won't now and hopefully this bonehead will have no more children.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Some people like playing video games.
It's an escape from reality.
Is it an addiction? Probably not, there are usually no withdrawals. I think some people have a hard time accepting reality, and video games allow them to escape that reality.

Also, there are lots of people that are unemployed and play video games. Some even with children.
Blaming games is akin to blaming rap music for violence. Yes he was playing games, but obviously there was some kind of mental issue. Playing games is not like doing heroin, its a damn game. This guy would've killed his child out of negligence no matter what.
edit on 18-4-2014 by rangerdanger because: Moar

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Horrifying.

He did what he did because he's a psychotic lunatic, not because of xbox or unemployment.

edit on 18-4-2014 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Visitor2012

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Horrifying.

He did what he did because he's a psychotic lunatic, not because of xbox or unemployment.

I did not say he did it because of xbox or unemployment.....I said they were factors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join