It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UPDATE: Ukraine's Yushchenko demands prosecution of 'separatist governors'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The Ukrainian Parliament has declared the results of the presidential election invalid. It opens the door to the possibility that a new vote could be scheduled. The vote however is non binding. The Ukrainian government has come under scrutiny and pressure to examine the allegations of massive fraud and corruption. Both side have warned about the possibility of civil war and the results of the election has provoked outrage and civil disobedience amongst the population.

UPDATE 11/28/04: Ukraine's Yushchenko demands prosecution of 'separatist governors'
The pro-Western opposition leader, Viktor Yushchenko, has called for a criminal inquiry over the threats leveled by pro-Russian governors to split off from Ukraine.

KIEV (AFP) - Ukraine's pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko demanded that prosecutors open a criminal inquiry into the heads of pro-Russian eastern and southern regions for threatening to declare autonomy.

"We demand the opening of a criminal inquiry against the separatist governors," Yushchenko told a crowd of more than 100,000 supporters massed in Kiev's central Independence Square.

"The idea of creating an autonomous territory comes from the governors of regions where there was a record amount of (electoral) fraud," in the contested November 21 presidential election, he added.
Call For A Criminal Inquiry

story.news.yahoo.com
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's parliament on Saturday declared invalid the disputed presidential election that triggered a week of growing street protests and legal maneuvers, raising the possibility that a new vote could be held in this former Soviet republic.

Parliament's vote came amid a flurry of domestic and international support for the possibility of a revote. A European Union envoy � Dutch Foreign Minister Ben Bot � said new elections were the "ideal outcome" for the standoff between Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych and Viktor Yushchenko. Asked if new elections were the only solution, Ben Bot answered: "Yes."

The Unian news agency quoted Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Alexander Yakovenko as saying Friday that Moscow regarded a potential revote favorably � an apparent significant retreat from its earlier insistence that the Nov. 21 elections were fair and valid.

Parliament's move was not legally binding but clearly demonstrated rising dissatisfaction with the announced outcome. The United States and other Western nations contend the vote was marred by massive fraud.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a good move by the parliament in Ukraine. There are simply too many questions about the process to allow the vote to stand. Russia is the only country actively supporting the alleged victor in the race, and Ukraine could find itself isolated politically if the election is allowed to stand. It remains to be seen if the alleged �president� elect will allow another vote.

[edit on 11/27/04 by FredT]

[edit on 11/28/04 by FredT]

[edit on 11/28/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The Ukrainian Supreme Court is to rule on an appeal by Yushchenko on Monday, Yanukovych will not be inaugurated before that appeal is decided.

With such large numbers of Ukrainians, State run TV, and many varied supporters it is certainly setting up a difficult situation for the court to rule on.

The best outcome seems to be another election - will this decision be based on rule of law or as I suspect on political expediency.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
You never know though. Russia seems to be heavily involved in this and with the concern over his consolidation of power it is VERY concerning. Could we be seeing the attempt to recreate a defacto USSR by simply placing friendly governemnts in former USSR states? Perhaps.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Fred T I think uve hit the nail on the head. The Ukraine has large reserves, of oil, coal and gas which Putin does not want to let fall into the hands of an independant Ukranian government as no doubt the prices for these commodities and the way in which they operate with a view to mother Russia would change quite dramatically. I have watched many news interviews with Ukranian public on the streets and the consensus seems to be that they have finally had enough of Russian totalitarian rule over their country by the proxy governments they have installed time and time again.

However more worrying are the signs that if this dispute is not sovled many mayors of towns and cities may push for a seprerate state or to join with Romania and declare independance from the Iron grip of Putin and Russia. I hope things change for the better in this beautifull and little know country, much like the other balkan countries, but I fear that there may be much bloodshed and violence before this coutry can move on from the quagmire it is in at the moment. If we have any Ukranian members on site, I would be very gratefull to hear their views of the curent situation and how they wouldlike things to be resolved.

[edit on 27-11-2004 by radiant_obsidian]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by radiant_obsidian
Putin does not want to let fall into the hands of an independant Ukranian government

Thats a great point. If you look at where the independant states have gone to ie: lots of countries with "stan" on the end they chose U.S. companies to work with not Yukos or others. Also there seems to be a reaching out by these states the US in general. Putin may fear a further expansion of NATO towards Russia..

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Your right again I think FredT

If you take a look at the position of the Ukraine, it is one of the last frontiers between the West and old Russia, it would therefore make sense that Mother russia wants to protect herself and her last remaining bastions of influence and power in europe. Im currently expecting the rhetoric from Putin to become more and more aggressive and desperate as the situation spirals beyond even his considerable control and that of his Spetsnaz troops already deployed covertly in the region. Just look at the sheer amounts of protestors on the streets talking like this:

"For the first time in my life Iam proud to be called Ukranian, what great stories to tell our children we will have once this battle is won for our peole"

This quote was taken directly from a female protestor interviewed by Uk channel 4 reporters only yesterday. It shows just what is really happening in the Ukraine at the moment and how passionately the people believe in this.

On the other side, the protestors for the Russian backed PM were ordered onto the streets and told to board buses to Kiev by their managers and bosses at the coal mines in the east, these protestors totalled a mere 5,000, and were dissparate and almost listless before their disputed leader arrive to talk and address them. Compare this to the outpurings from the heart of over 250, 000 protestors rilling agains Rusian rule and control.......I think there will be great changes to come in the next weeks and days of Ukranian history and hope that they find the independance and solidarity that they seek so badly.

If my views offend anyone, Im sorry, but I feel very, very passiontely about this situation and wont apologise for speaking my mind.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
updating:

Kuchma, speaking at a National Security Council meeting, criticized the blockades of government buildings as a "gross violation of the law."

"Compromise is the only way to avoid unpredictable consequences," the outgoing president said.

Ivan Plyushch, who is representing Yushchenko at the talks, told Ukraine's Inter television that "the sides have the constructive wish to reach compromise."

Yushchenko said he was seeking a revote on Dec. 12 under the auspices of the Organization for Security and Cooperation (news - web sites) in Europe. He has also demanded that the current 15-person Central Election Commission be replaced.

Election commission head Serhiy Kivalov said Saturday he was not opposed to new voting, but said that "before such an emotional decision is taken, a commission must be created to analyze the work of the CEC," Ukraine's Unian news agency reported.

That position would be unlikely to please the Yushchenko camp, which wants to keep the revote momentum going. Braving wet snow and sleet, thousands of protesters have gathered in a sprawling tent camp along Kiev's central Khreshchatyk Street and Independence Square. Field kitchens distribute hot food and tea.

Ukaraine President Says Compromise Needed

I think Ukraine deserved to get the new elections but I got the idea that president Kuchma wants to postpone it as long as is possible. Does he hide "emergency backup" plan?

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The pro-Western opposition leader, Viktor Yushchenko, has called for a criminal inquiry over the threats leveled by pro-Russian governors to split off from Ukraine.

KIEV (AFP) - Ukraine's pro-Western opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko demanded that prosecutors open a criminal inquiry into the heads of pro-Russian eastern and southern regions for threatening to declare autonomy.

"We demand the opening of a criminal inquiry against the separatist governors," Yushchenko told a crowd of more than 100,000 supporters massed in Kiev's central Independence Square.

"The idea of creating an autonomous territory comes from the governors of regions where there was a record amount of (electoral) fraud," in the contested November 21 presidential election, he added.
Call For A Criminal Inquiry

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That is wrong move - IMHO. Now is a time for peace talks, not the time for making more people angry. This is not a good sign - I'm afraid Yushchenko's call can make him more enemies that supporters

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
November 29.

LOCAL leaders from Ukraine's eastern regions voted unanimously today in favour of holding a referendum on their "regional status", a euphemism for autonomy from the capital Kiev.

Delegates at a regional congress all raised their hands in favour of "a referendum to be held in December this year to determine the status of the region".

Any move towards autonomy for the east is anathema to nationalists and liberals 13 years after the country won independence from the Soviet Union.

"The idea of creating an autonomous territory comes from the governors of regions where there was a record amount of (electoral) fraud," in the presidential election contested on November 21, he added.

www.news.com.au...

This situation is moving quickly and getting more unstable by the day.

Sanc'.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   

This situation is moving quickly and getting more unstable by the day.

Its really starting to look like the winner in this will be who ever the military supports. Beyond that there seems to be a growing danger that a full scale civil war may erupt at any moment. Kiev is reapidly becomming a flashpoint as more and more citizens show up to protest.

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
more news:

Ukraine is on verge of abyss, law must be restored urgently - Yanukovych:

link
Nov 28 (Interfax-Ukraine) - Viktor Yanukovych who has been declared president elect by the Ukrainian Central Elections Commission has called for immediately restoring law in Ukraine which is "a step away from abyss."
"If the president of Ukraine together with the National Security and Defense Council do not decide in the next few days to lift the blockade of the authorities, if it is not decided today that the parliament stops insulting the law, the constitution, the rights of our citizens, then one should rise above everything and resolutely say No," he told a congress of representatives of local governments from 15 regions of Ukraine in Severodonetsk on Sunday.
At the same time Yanukovych warned his supporters against radical moves to prevent bloodshed.
"I am pleading to you not to take any radical measures. If only one drop of blood is shed, we won't be able to stop the flow. It will remain on the consciences of the people who provoked the situation," he said.

It doesn't look like we could see the peaceful ending there I'm afraid. More anger, more frustration and nobody seems to try to quiet it down

posted on Nov, 28 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ukraine Opposition Ups Pressure Amid Autonomy Moves:

Ukraine edged a little closer toward a break-up on Sunday as a powerful eastern region backing the Moscow-backed prime minister in a disputed election for president set a December referendum on autonomy.In a separate secessionist move, another part of the economically-powerful region backing Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovich said it would vote next Sunday to form a republic within a federal Ukrainian state.
The opposition, meanwhile, which has paralyzed normal life in the capital with street protests, upped the pressure, calling for Yanukovich to be sacked. The prime minister was officially declared winner of the Nov. 21 election, now widely denounced as subject to fraud.

link

The separation of Ukraine seems to be eminent - Polish president Aleksander Kwasniewski, who travelled to Ukraine as a mediator between the opposition said he fears there won't be any chance to hold Ukraine together. Unless? Is there any possibility to avoid the civil war or internal split ?

sorry forgot the link..

[edit on 28-11-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Another update: News:

Outgoing President Leonid Kuchma said he could not accept the division of Ukraine, after meeting with the regional leaders who have threatened to demand autonomy following the disputed presidential election.

This one is still developing I believe....

top topics

join