It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Earth-Sized Planet in Habitable Zone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
New Earth-Sized Planet Found in Habitable Zone

sploid.gizmodo.com...
Provided linked source courtesy of ATS member The Utopian Penguin to credit

Another source with the same announcement
news.discovery.com...

So, Yet another one to add to the ever growing list! Pretty exciting stuff in today's day and age if I must say so.
I noticed that many of the newly-found earth-sized planets in habitable zones tend to be sported by red dwarf stars as their suns as opposed our Earthy yellow dwarf star (sun)

So from what I gather by this is that red dwarfs, although only providing roughly half the heat as a yellow dwarf (respectively) are still apparently hot enough to heat a surrounding Earth-sized planet enough to make it habitable for life. I thought this was interesting.

I also noticed many of these discovered earth-like or earth-sized planets can be found in what's called the"Goldilocks Zone"

This is a mostly up-to-date list of the best candidates for habitable exoplanets
phl.upr.edu...

If you go to this link and click through the little slideshow at the top it will show you some pictures of a few of the best candidates for habitable planets with descriptions about them. Interesting stuff.
news.discovery.com...

The newer ones I notice are generally the "Gleise" planets. Specifically Gleise 581 (which is displayed on the third slide in above link) that seemed to have caused quite the uproar in the space exploration community.

I like the GJ1214b planet that is shown on slide 5 on the above link. It's described as a "waterworld."
That got my vote right away... Who wouldn't want to live in a waterworld? It would be so majestic and beautiful... Anyways, enough of my added irrelevant and unnecessary commentary :p

Which planet(s) have you personally looked at and appealed to you the most out of all the Earth-like/Earth-sized planets in the habitable zone?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
If just one of them has life that isn't destroying the planet and killing all the rest if the life there ...that's the one I want to live on .

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

If you want to live in a waterworld watch the movie waterworld lol doesn't look like much of a life at all. Unless we find a way to create artificial gills.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The best part about all these planets around red dwarf stars is that if Aliens come to Earth from them they will totally be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound and be faster than a locomotive because of our powerful Yellow Sun

Lol, seriously it would probably be the opposite, all our excess radiation and the extra energy of our sun is a liability, realistically some of these worlds are likely more habitable than our own.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Wow very exciting! Thanks for posting this unb3k44n7.

Anyone managed find out what it's parent star is called yet?

I've mainly been looking at Gliese 667Cc at the moment. Kepler 62e & 62f are also favourites of mine. There are so many and so little time to research them all, difficult getting the most up to date info to be honest. Does anyone else find that this is the case?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

criticalhit

Lol, seriously it would probably be the opposite, all our excess radiation and the extra energy of our sun is a liability, realistically some of these worlds are likely more habitable than our own.

Wait...

Wouldn't that make us the super men to them...

What with our extra hardiness...

We need to go to there.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by unb3k44n7

Cheers for the post. I went to the science museum in London last week and watched an imax movie on the universe and what not. The discoveries they are making are truly mind blowing.

top topics

join