It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you don't believe all the bible, why believe any of it?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

ArtemisE
reply to post by Trender

IDK???? Maybe because the have created products and medicine we use daily. While the worlds religions have only offered faith against all reason. Oh and can't forget the little invention called a microscope. Where they actually get to watch me cells do what they do. I know that's a little thinner than " a bunch of Bronze Age goat herders believed in an omnipresent invisible force who made the universe in 7 days. But.... Lmao!

hey, laugh all you want.

like the cure for cancer? Alzheimer? birth defects besides abortion?

science is doing pretty good. not good enough for being around for 100,000 yrs, tho.

hey, ya did get us to the moon 60yo. very cool, btw. that's only 250,000mi.

if you know what gravity is, where is the anti-gravity?

i haven't seen a wormhole in years, dude.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Abavs
reply to post by ArtemisE

The new testament is the biggest book of lies on the planet. As for the old testament there is truth amongst the fables. But 90 % of it is lies to fill a empty void of spiritual inquirsision all for the sake of control over the masses though the collective conscience of mass manipulation to prolong the inevitable spiritual ascension of becoming the inevitable.

As long as you believe and accept the hypocritical guilt tripping crap that comes out of the Vatican and other religions. You will be spiritually, emotionally and mentally bounded to the physical realm. You will never be able to reach a level of spiritual ascension that were all can be knowen at once but seem compleatly irrelevant at the same time cause the only thing that matters to you is your appreciation for all living forces in the universe and unity with all.

are you trolling with this post?

so what level of spiritual ascension are you at, right now?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Grimpachi

JohnnyCanuck
reply to post by FlyersFan

You're right.
The Bible does contradict itself all over the place.

I have to agree with that.

geeze, ya'd think they would have cleaned that all up, when they rewrote it for mind control of the masses.

how very sloppy and idiotic of them.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

ArtemisE

This is for those Christians who don't believe in the literal truth of creation and the bible. But do believe and concierge them selves Christians.

How do you decide what to believe and what not to?

The question should actually be reversed as literal interpretation of the Bible is a modern invention from American protestants.

Church father Augustine of Hippo (354–430) wrote of the need for reason in interpreting Jewish and Christian scripture, and of much of the Book of Genesis being an extended metaphor.

In the Reformation, Martin Luther (1483-1546) separated the Biblical apocrypha from the rest of the Old Testament books, and the Westminster Confession of 1646 demoted them to a status that denied their canonicity. American Protestant literalists and Biblical inerrantists have adopted this truncated Protestant Bible as a work not merely inspired by God but, in fact, representing the Word of God without possibility of error or contradiction.

So the question is actually, why would you throw away 2000 years of tradition and consider a literal interpretation of the Bible instead of an idealistic one? Why would you chose literal interpretation when it was simply something invented a few hundreds years ago by pissed off protestants who wanted to dissociate themselves from the traditional Christian currents?

That's the real question most American Christians have to answer. Do they know they represent only a minority in the Christian world and that 99% Christians consider their interpretation incorrect and retrograde? Do they know that their choice to see to Bible as the literal Word of God and not a work inspired by God isn't found in ancient Christian history and is closer to all fundamentalists movements on the rise among the 3 great monotheistic traditions.

Just like we have Jewish orthodoxy and Muslim fundamentalism encouraging literal interpretation of the Scriptures (and thus more segregation and hate and violence throughout the world), the American protestant sects promoting the same with the Bible belong to the same fundamentalist modern tradition that is emphasizing more on blind obedience than reasonable personal research.

And for the record yes I am a Christian and no I don't think the Bible is the literal word of God. The objective of religions is the salvation of the soul, not the explanation of the laws of Nature. As such, there is no reason to consider Genesis a literal account of creation.

All cultures have their creation myths and Genesis is no different. It's the Jewish creation myth and if you can't understand that, you can't make a critical analysis of the Bible to get the best out of it.
edit on 24-3-2014 by SpaceGoatFarts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

bacci0909

Sorry if this type of metaphor has already been used but...

That's kind of like saying if you don't like every song off of an album, why listen to any of them?

No, it's not like that at all. People base their whole lives around the bible. I don't listen to an album and change my life because of what some singer decided to sing about.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

tsingtao

AfterInfinity
reply to post by deadlyhope

It is believed the Bible is a book from god, not that each and every copy was hand-written in simple terms everyone can understand/no one could debate.

Because no god would ever resort to such infallible, practical, common-sense measures, right? Its ludicrous to think they might actually take steps to prevent a notoriously flawed society from misreading or misinterpreting something so sacred and important. Utterly laughable, right?

aren't we human? lol!

let's put it this way, the bible is filled with fallible, impracticable, nonsensical societies.
heck, look around you! people want to blame God?

bible has been consistent for a couple 1000 yrs. science hasn't, has it?

The whole POINT of science is for it not to be consistent. Why would you point that out as a falling of science when that is what it is designed to do? That's like saying that the Sears Tower in Chicago fails as a building because it is too tall.

You think it is a GOOD thing that the bible has been consistent for a few millenniums? A book written by men whose claims cannot be authenticated since they've been lost too time is supposed to be more credible then science because over the years the message has remained the same? That's absurd. But if we are going by length of time a concept is unchanged as the most credible, I guess that means that the Hindu religion is the most correct, it is after all the oldest and has remained largely unchanged for a lot longer than the bible.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
I don't listen to an album and change my life because of what some singer decided to sing about.

Speak for yourself. One time I had a bustle in my hedgerow and I was not even slightly alarmed.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Christianity Applied

Surrender-stay close to God, Clean House- stay close to God,-Sweep away the wreckage of past-stay close to God- help someone-stay close to God.

Eventually you will see you fall short regularly and its 100% ok. Keep knocking with willingness.

edit on 24-3-2014 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Eventually you will see you fall short regularly and its 100% ok.

No, it's not okay unless you've sold your soul to Jesus.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The Whole of the creation...Everything that has been made Declares His Eternal Power and Glory! ...and He only does Wondrous Things ...

Psa 104:19 He Appointed the Moon for Moedim: the sun knoweth his going down.

Moedim - appointed times, meetings, feast, congregation

The diameter of the moon is 2159.14062 miles.. the verse number of the scriptures consecutive by miles from Genesis 1:1 that this number lands in, Is >

The 2160th vs. Exodus 23:15
Thou shalt keep the feast of unleavened bread: (thou shalt eat unleavened bread seven days, as I commanded thee, in the time Appointed of New MOON Abib; for in it thou camest out from mitsrayim: and none shall appear before Me empty

The Hebrew Chodesh, the beginning of the Lunar month, New Moon

The circumference of the earth north to south through the poles is 24,859.82 miles, the verse number that this number lands in, is

The 24860th vs. Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the Whole EARTH/Ghay until the ninth hour.

23:15 > Unleavened Bread > New Moon
15:33 > This verse Occurred on Passover > Earth

The diameter of the moon without the decimal cyclical through the 31,102 verses in the scriptures

215914062/31102 ~ 3978th vs. Numbers 9:12
They shall leave none of it unto the morning, nor break any bone of it: according to all the ordinances of the Passover they shall keep it.

and the same with the circumference of the earth

2485982/31102 ~ 28924th vs. 2 Corinthians 7:7
And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more.

9:12 > Passover, Morning
7:7 > Mourning > > > and much more at IsaiahNineteen blogspot

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

You actually have that wrong. Most atheist are pretty ok knowing that they DON'T know everything. Also it would be hard to find and atheist that would say that they do know everything. It seems to be that it's the more religious that use our gaps in knowledge to say that "God did it" while atheists will say "we don't know and that's ok".

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by moresco

I thought that atheist say there is no god .So you are saying that atheist are actually agnostic then no ?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

ArtemisE

This is for those Christians who don't believe in the literal truth of creation and the bible. But do believe and concierge them selves Christians.

How do you decide what to believe and what not to? To an atheist it looks like cherry picking what people wish were true. While ignoring the things you don't agree with. It seems to me that almost every Christian as a nearly completely different take on what all consider to absolute truth. Logically how can any truth be found when no one even agrees on the fundamentals?

We have a right to pick what we like as we are all free people and the Holy Bible is a collection of many parts written by many people.
It is made of many books built into one Holy book and some parts were omitted by the church.
This is why we have fought many wars killing each other over the so called true scripture.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

Not exactly. The word atheist refers to a basic lack of belief in gods or a god while the word agnostic is more of a statement of the possibility of there being a a god or gods. The basic position of we don't know and we can't know at this time and because we can't prove it we can't say with 100% certainty that it/they do not exist.

I would consider myself an atheist when it comes ta general belief in god/s, meaning that I do not believe that it/he/she/they actually exist. However being as there is no way that we can know that 100% I can't in general discount the possibility of there being a god/s of some sort.

Not sure how clear that was but that how I understand it...

edit on 24-3-2014 by moresco because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I am a Christian—the New Testament is my bible. What I don't believe in is Churches. Churches of any denomination are for the most part all evil filled with fornicators, adulterers, liars, thieves and few even come close to teaching the word of God or abiding by the Word of God.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by moresco

I thought that atheist say there is no god .So you are saying that atheist are actually agnostic then no ?

Atheism is about not believing, agnosticism is about not knowing. The majority of atheists identify as agnostic atheists, i.e. "I do not believe but I cannot know". Just like how you cannot now that there is or is not a teapot orbiting the sun but most people would say that they do not believe it to be so.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GetHyped

So atheist don't know, but believe that they cant know . It almost seems like they may be suffering from a form of cognitive dissonance .Pretty brazen bunch to slam people that might choose to believe there is a God ...no ?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by moresco

Well to bad that the God of the bible has a condition upon faith before He will reveal Himself because He makes the rules and we have to play by His rules .He only requires a bit of sensible reason ,much like in science .You start off with a reasonable hypothesis and go forth with your experiment to see is it might answer your question .The The Large Hadron Collider was built to find the answer to a question .What they found really didn't answer it .We sometimes find in the questions about God that we didn't really have a good question to begin with but find other info that is worth much much more then we could have ever imagined .....peace

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by GetHyped

So atheist don't know, but believe that they cant know . It almost seems like they may be suffering from a form of cognitive dissonance .Pretty brazen bunch to slam people that might choose to believe there is a God ...no ?

No, some things are unknowable. God, Russel's Teapot, anything that cannot be observed objectively and/or cannot be falsified. I don't believe in The Tooth Fairy but I cannot ever know that she doesn't exist because I cannot prove it.
edit on 24-3-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join