It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Demand Airtime On 'Cosmos' For The Sake Of Balance

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
i think it's a dumb idea to have them on the show and i doubt it would happen, anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Cosmos is based on science. Creationism is based on a book of Bronze and Iron Age myths. So no, creationists should sit down, shut up and learn something about the Universe.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

It's not Morgan Freeman, it's Neil DeGrasse Tyson.........

Yep, definitely need these creationists on a Science show, they know their stuff.... ahem

SMH

They don't have any 'evidence' to DEMAND anything...

I'm under the impression of four year olds throwing tantrums because the grown ups are now tired of the 'invisible friend' game.

I'm glad people like Tyson are stepping up and educating. Like he said, he just wants to get their heads right in the first place, that way he doesn't have to debate them later... So no, that doesn't sound like they'd be allowed to bring their invisible friend to the show, while they are explaining the cosmos and evolution to the indoctrinated/uneducated.
edit on 22-3-2014 by Amarri because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
And just to add... It really doesn't surprise me that the same person who would want such a thing, is the same person who wouldn't know the difference between an actor and an astrophysicist... (It's that famous black guy)... This is one of those times I feel shame for my painfully obvious entitled brothers and sisters...

edit on 22-3-2014 by Amarri because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
there iS such a thing as intelligent design
but spider goats are not it
nor is it likely found at china central...

it doesn't take a GOD to do GMO...!!!...LOL

i thought i had found it at a fundy church onecet, but it just turned out to be cantilevered rafters that allowed the square footage of the solar panels to exceed the square footage of the actual roof area, so the sun of gold could juice up the lights in the basement.
come to think of it..it was a pretty good design it had evolved from an earlier attempt to cut the electricity bill...
and keep the sump pump charged up in case the power failed and the basement flooded out...again

no, im not going to make any electric arc jokes here

eta: stars Amarri's hot AV..ooops..er... intelligently designed rebuttall

morgan freeman plays god....like monsanto...which is inherently... EVIL...somehow

edit on Satam3b20143America/Chicago37 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Satam3b20143America/Chicago24 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Satam3b20143America/Chicago32 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Satam3b20143America/Chicago31 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Religion shouldn't get ANY airtime. Anywhere. EVER.
SPIRITUALITY is an entirely different matter.....

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

LOL Danbones!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

GetHyped
I agree, we should learn about how Zeus created the world and Mt. Olympus for the sake of balance.

It was Jupiter you blasphemer.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Sure. As long as science gets equal time during all religious programming.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Good morning everyone (apply to the last time you awoke from a deep, sorely needed sleep).....

I haven't got caught up yet, but see the thread has grown.

I just want to say one thing - and then I'll go and get caught up;
I know it's not Morgan Freeman!

That paragraph/sentence was poorly worded - I was remarking on Sagan's Cosmos, as well as Morgan Freeman's Through the Wormhole, and other programs such as The Elegant Universe and How the Universe Works...could also have mentioned Michuo Kaku and other science hosts.....

what I meant was that this new show, hosted by Neil Degrasse Tyson, proffers the same kind of exciting, mind-bending stuff.
I don't want any religion mixed in with it - there's plenty of that on History and other channels (that have gone really downhill with all of these fake 'real life' things like Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars and American Pickers.....even NatGeo)...
what happened to good old documentary-type shows??

There, hope that clears it up - though it's probably too late to mend what was interpreted from my off-the-cuff typing/stream of thought tangent.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Considering how much tax-free money the churches rake in you'd think they'd make their own series.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Morgan Freeman played God in a movie. He was typecast for the role.

I have watched the series so far. Neil D.Tyson said near the very beginning of the show that no one knows how life started. I would assume he is including scientists.

“Nobody knows how life got started. Most of the evidence from that time was destroyed by impact and erosion. Science works on the frontier of knowledge and ignorance. We’re not afraid to admit what we don’t know. There’s no shame in that. The only shame is to pretend that we have all the answers. Maybe someone watching this, will be the first to solve the mystery of how life on Earth began.”

I loved the part on the evolution of sight (eyes). The universe observing itself indeed!

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

flyingfish
reply to post by CornShucker
-- snip --
That's too bad, you're going to miss out on a great series. "Smug and condescending attitude," I don't get that at all.

Tyson can be condescending for real.

I invite you to rent the original and compare. Sagan presented his show with the joy of someone who wanted to share the things he had to show because of the immenseness and beauty of creation.

I am familiar with Mr. Tyson, I even agree with some of what he has to say about religion. Maybe it just comes down to personal taste. Not all movie reboots are to my liking while some I've found brilliant.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ErgoTheMirror

"Turtles all the way down" is often used as a pejorative when mocking ancient beliefs

I have never heard that phrase. Must be a regional thing?

Can you explain its intent? I'm guessing, from context, that it has to do with hiding in a shell, like ostriches and the sand thing.
Or the plug-eared "lalaala I can't hear you" thing.????

Funny, i learned about Bruno from a Heath Ledger movie: The Libertarian, about Casanova and Bruno.

Haven't looked into whether it really was a pseudonym as the movie claimed, though.

Anyways, as for the new series, it is disappointing that it's not more of a dry science thing - but I suspect that it's designed that way to keep the viewers from getting 'bored' - almost every one of the 'mysterious shows' do the same thing; show a bit, build the drama, break for ads; if the new Cosmos didn't have lots of dramatic music, fx, and cliff-hanging breaks, how many FOX viewers would stick around?

Gha what have they done to us! Too dense and attention-deficited to listen to a real lecture? Whaaaa....

my dad is facepalming, wherever he is now. And having another scotch, no doubt. Self-medication to deal with the 'average and below' intelligence of the vast majority.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

BuzzyWigs
Can you explain its intent? I'm guessing, from context, that it has to do with hiding in a shell, like ostriches and the sand thing.
Or the plug-eared "lalaala I can't hear you" thing.????

It refers to the infinite regression theory of the universe. The supposed origins of the term:

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the center of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy. At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: "What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise." The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, "What is the tortoise standing on?" "You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's tortoises all the way down!" source

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Wow thanks! Never heard the story, but knew the 'resting on the back of a giant tortoise' image.

Interesting.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
When I first watched COSMOS I thought it would be about science, but instead it turned out to be about the evolutionary theory and a tool to indoctrinate people and was basically anti-religion, and anti-God. So I won't continue to watch it. But I should give some reasons for that decision.

1. It is total fantasy to say or believe that random chances such as believed in the evolutionary theory holds is true.

2. To attempt to explain the universe without even the notion that God could have designed it is just withholding from people with open minds the ability to make that decision for themselves.

I really had to laugh myself out of my comfy living room chair the other night as what's his name tried his best to explain how dogs evolved into a separate species from the wolf. This without even admitting the both dogs and wolves are K9's and capable of successful inbreeding. And all the different types of dogs today are "breeds" not species. How dumb is that I ask? Someone should explain that "adaptation" is not evolution.

Oh, wait there's more (haha). Yup, then he went on further to explain how white haired bears and brown haired bears are two separate species. Give it a break already. So then I should rightly conclude that black people and white people are two separate species, and oh yeah, the orientals, they gotta be some other human-like creature as well right?

And what about red heads, are they some other creature, or those with blue eyes, or brown eyes.

So, this program is a joke wrapped up in some good special effects, nothing more, but maybe good for atheists and those who actually subscribe to the "evolutionary hypothesis" that they think of as a theory. Evolution has never yet been established, or proven.

So there you have it, my critique. Recommendation? Don't waste time watching it.

edit on 22-3-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

And what about red heads, are they some other creature, or those with blue eyes....

Hey! I resemble those! I am those. And yes, we redheads are rather, erm, different - maybe hair color is a way of predetermining a person's temperament!

Anyway, I see you are offended by the show. Thanks for your response. What would you have people watch, then? True Detective or the Walking Dead (slotted against this one)...

I prefer actual documentaries for my science. As I said above, all the hyped-upped "wow factor" leading to a commercial break...
fx, music, dramatic pauses (one could say 'pregnant pauses') are going to appeal to your average Fox viewer.

In a way it seems Tyson is toeing a line; I wonder if he's protested the style?

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I don't see any need for Richard Dawkins to pop up during Songs of Praise to tell everyone it's all a load of hogwash, similarly I don't want a science show ruined by some nut who believes in fairies.

Let religion and science stay separate. As they ought to be.

posted on Mar, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by Fromabove

And what about red heads, are they some other creature, or those with blue eyes....

Hey! I resemble those! I am those. And yes, we redheads are rather, erm, different - maybe hair color is a way of predetermining a person's temperament!

Anyway, I see you are offended by the show. Thanks for your response. What would you have people watch, then? True Detective or the Walking Dead (slotted against this one)...

I prefer actual documentaries for my science. As I said above, all the hyped-upped "wow factor" leading to a commercial break...
fx, music, dramatic pauses (one could say 'pregnant pauses') are going to appeal to your average Fox viewer.

In a way it seems Tyson is toeing a line; I wonder if he's protested the style?

Actually, I'm a big walking dead fan. They modeled the plague after the rabies virus and while they carry on about them being dead, if you ever saw videos of people in the last throws of the virus, they look quite alike. I was attacked by a rabid animal last year while mowing my lawn, let me tell you what happened.

As I was mowing the lawn under the sunny 90 degree heat of the afternoon, a chipmunk of all things wandered out towards me. I laughed thinking of how stupid it was standing up on it's back legs and glaring at me as if looking through me and not at me. Then it made a charge after me in a staggered fashion and leaped for my ankle. Moving out of the way I kicked it away, but it just kept coming at me. I realized by then it was rabid so I got a stick and for the next 10 minutes we played a game of bite me - bite me not. Eventually I flung him onto the sidewalk where he did a weird little dance and collapsed and died of his illness. I wasted no time in placing him in a sealed plastic container and taking him to the proper disposal place for him.

That little chipmunk was fierce and just like the walkers on the walking dead. The chipmunk was actually hard to keep from biting me so if it was a human it would be a lot worse. Upon research I found out that the military actually has it's eyes on a military induced rabies plague that could spread through the air when bonded with a flu virus. scary, I know. Anyways, to stay on topic..

I really wanted to watch the show and gave it two viewings in the hopes they would stick to the wonders of the universe and what they actually know about what it does and is doing. But they let me down.

I love documentaries as well but the show offends my Christian beliefs and so I can't bear to watch it.

edit on 22-3-2014 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join