It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia bill could allow guns in bars, churches and airports

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Georgia lawmakers could soon make broad changes to the state’s gun laws to allow firearms in bars, churches, airports, and certain government buildings.

To what extent weapons should be permitted in such buildings is the issue addressed in two bills – both part of the “Safe Carry Protection Act” – currently pending in Georgia’s state legislature. The first version, drafted by the House, has been deemed “the most extreme gun bill in America” by Americans for Responsible Solutions. The Senate version removes some of the House’s provisions.

www.msnbc.com...

“We absolutely oppose it. Our feeling is that the answer to gun violence is not more guns. This is a continuation of what the gun lobby is perpetuating on the American public, which is guns anywhere, anyplace, for virtually anyone,” Malte told msnbc.

And which is exactly what the second amendment provided for. The west may have been wild, but at least people could defend themselves from thugs, abusers, haters, rapists and thieves. Georgia has been making some waves lately, and glad to see it. We need more state legislatures with that makeup. I was happy to see them keep the stand your ground laws.

But in typical, lame ass, MSM fashion, the article does not include a link to the actual bill so readers can look at it themselves.

Instead we are forced to come to places like ATS, that has members that dig deeper (most of the time). So here is a direct link to the bill:

www.legis.ga.gov...

Note in this bill also:

remove fingerprinting requirements for renewal licenses

Exactly as it should be. The 2nd never stated that someone had to be identified by fingerprint or any other means to own a weapon. So lose that too. Good on Georgia!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Guns and Alcohol? What could go wrong there right?

We have so many laws, people need to perfect them instead of coming up with new laws just because they can. I guess they have nothing better to do but to make up stupid laws to make themselves feel powerful about their place in Society.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Ok... I'm all for gun rights and the right to carry a firearm for personal protection (which I suppose is odd since I am Canadian and we aren't supposed to like guns), but allowing guns in bars just seems completely stupid. Alcohol and firearms do not mix. Ever.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

TheProphetMark

Plenty. Especially if you use your right to drink to harass, threaten, and start fights with people once you're drunk. With these laws, perhaps people will think twice about getting so drunk in a bar. It could actually be beneficial. Abusive drunks will start staying home. Good.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

OMG!

You mean actual gun rights instead of paltry gun "privileges" offered by the controlling central authority?

Good on Georgia!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

TheProphetMark

We have so many laws, people need to perfect them instead of coming up with new laws just because they can. I guess they have nothing better to do but to make up stupid laws to make themselves feel powerful about their place in Society.

That's right. You said it yourself. "We have so many laws." This bill REMOVES laws that are now in place, thus making fewer laws, which is what you say you want. "Hav[ing] nothing better to do but make up stupid laws" includes stuff like declaring what is the state shellfish" and what the official colors are for the state seal.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yeah, nah.

I'm all for allowing guns, but the three places a gun doesn't belong are

The house of God

Bars full of drunk folk

And crowded public places where any unhinged fool could cause untold pandemonium.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

markosity1973
Yeah, nah.

I'm all for allowing guns, but the three places a gun doesn't belong are

The house of God

Bars full of drunk folk

And crowded public places where any unhinged fool could cause untold pandemonium.

So, police should never enter churches, bars or public places wearing their service weapons?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

TrueAmerican
Plenty. Especially if you use your right to drink to harass, threaten, and start fights with people once you're drunk. With these laws, perhaps people will think twice about getting so drunk in a bar. It could actually be beneficial. Abusive drunks will start staying home. Good.

You've never worked in a bar obviously. I have worked at a bar and lived on the property of the same bar and I can tell you this is a bad idea. The problem with your theory is that you assume "thinking" will play a part in some a-holes decision to stay home rather than drink at the bar. It won't. The problem with drunks is they don't think. Rational thinking flies right out the window or perhaps down the drain so to speak with every drink they take.

However, I personally think this is a great idea!! This should weed out lot's of idiots!! I just feel sorry for the innocent folks who are going to get caught in the crossfire.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
When I go to a bar I assume everybody has a gun. It's part of the experience
"Gimme three steps, gimme three steps, mister, gimme three steps towards the door."

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mOjOm

Ha. Boy did you bark up the wrong tree on THAT one.
I've worked at over 100 bars, clubs, festivals, and pretty much you name it. Musician here, over 30 years. If there's one thing even a drunk understands, it's the language of gun barrel.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

i've said excuse me a couple of times myself.

and i'm a fat fella with blond hair

edit on 15-3-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

TrueAmerican
Ha. Boy did you bark up the wrong tree on THAT one.
I've worked at over 100 bars, clubs, festivals, and pretty much you name it. Musician here, over 30 years. If there's one thing even a drunk understands, it's the language of gun barrel.

With all due respect, playing music at bars isn't exactly the same as being employed at one where it's your job to deal with these idiots as part of your job. But you obviously have been around enough to know what you're talking about so I will give you credit where credit is due.

As for drunks respecting the gun that's pointed at them, sure, they understand it. But that's usually because they don't have one of their own.

The bar I as at was mainly a Cowboy bar which included everything from guns being drawn to the occasional horse being rode through the bar. (The tourists LOVED it BTW. They thought seeing actual real life cowboys doing crazy cowboy stuff was the coolest thing ever!!
)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

TrueAmericanWith these laws, perhaps people will think twice about getting so drunk in a bar. It could actually be beneficial. Abusive drunks will start staying home. Good.

I hope you're not old enough to drink, otherwise this is pretty embarrassing.
If you've spent any time in bars and witnessed drunk people in altercations, you would not be suspecting well reasoned forethought of risks vs rewards as having anything to do with these situations.

edit on 15-3-2014 by hexillion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Guns in bars.
Hmm
This is not going to end well.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

hexillion

TrueAmericanWith these laws, perhaps people will think twice about getting so drunk in a bar. It could actually be beneficial. Abusive drunks will start staying home. Good.

I hope you're not old enough to drink, otherwise this is pretty embarrassing.
If you've spent any time in bars and witnessed drunk people in altercations, you would not be suspecting well reasoned forethought of risks vs rewards as having anything to do with these situations.

edit on 15-3-2014 by hexillion because: (no reason given)

When I was young, we (people I worked with) had a bit of a after work party with the employees. everyone got drunk at a bar. there was a issue with one guy making passes (a bit aggressively) at by buddys girlfriend. it ended up in a couple swings being taken at each other, then he ran out to his truck and got his gun.
it took 3 of us to stop him and talk him down. I wasn't as drunk as the others, so I did the whole "you sure its worth spending a life in prison for him?"...eventually by stroking his ego he put the gun back.

Guns and alcohol simply don't mix. Georgia will be an example..a reference point as to why it is a very bad idea.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Until the matter is fundamentally and finally decided as to whether the "anything goes" interpretation of the Second is correct or some more rational, reasonable conclusion, this kind of insanity will continue.

I'm actually starting to look forward to the Revolution; perhaps some of this will get straightened out.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Guns and booze...

Actually when you think about it, what a great way to thin out the gene pool.

Sure, there might be a little collateral damage along the way... but the ends justify the means, no ?

Speaking of the wild west:

They had some of the strictest gun control laws around. If you didn't have to check your gun at the sheriff's office when entering a town, you had to check it at the saloon before you could go in and have a drink... for obvious reasons, I'm assuming.

This is the first thing you saw when you rode into Dodge City (circa 1878):

Hollywood keeps feeding the myth that everyone was free to run around town playing "shoot 'em up", when in fact, they were not...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Georgia will either be an example as to why gun control is needed and an abolishment of the 2nd Amendment is required. . .

Or it'll be ignored because nothing happens, and the media won't report on it.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

beezzer
Georgia will either be an example as to why gun control is needed and an abolishment of the 2nd Amendment is required. . .

Or it'll be ignored because nothing happens, and the media won't report on it.

Yes, it will be a social experiment
either nothing much happens, or people die...either way, we will know. People are expendable and unimportant, what isn't is flashing off your peni..erm..gun in a bar to show everyone your super strong and totally not compensating for anything at all.
-cough-

Guns are a useful tool for home security, hunting, and fun target practice.
If you are living in an area where you need to be armed to the teeth to go get a beer however, then it might be time to simply visit a different area of town.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join