It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Russia Today be allowed as a legtimate News Source on ATS?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I think that all sources should be considered to be fair .It's not like they may not have their own agendas or biases . I think that if RT was totally propaganda in ones mind then it might help a person trying to find the truth to look at the message they are trying to get us to believe and what the opposite might be trying to get us to believe as well . Some times the truth might be somewhere in-between the two or may be something completely different .Know your enemy is much more important then being confused with the truth or the lies ...peace I just came across this that has some RT controversy and propaganda www.youtube.com... and at this very moment they are talking about the same subject on CBC radio ...to funny
edit on 15-3-2014 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

rigel4
I ask this question seriously.. because RT's reporting is state funded
propaganda.

Their (What are grudgingly called ) news items are fabricated versions
of events that the Kremlin wish to spread to the Western World .

Gullible types in the West use these as news items and links.. thusly
helping propagate the Kremlin lies.

I am asking the board and members if links to RT should be banned in the same way as God Like Productions are.

Both sources are equally false.

You may promote censorship but do not expect many to agree with you. As it's known that many american news networks have also use such kind of propaganda on many global events and the more we can know about the deceptions regardless of which state governments issue them the better. Savvy.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

Not sure how this could even be a question on here.

If so, who else would ATS ban? Are we not mature enough to be exposed to misinformation and propaganda?

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Most news is biased toward the country that's reporting it. Even Canada and the US report news from different angles at times, sometimes putting out completely different stories about the same incident.

That even happens between CNN and FOX and they're from the same country.
We need all angles and sources to properly piece together what is really happening out there.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why would anyone want to ban RT? Yes..It's a directly owned subsidary of a media empire owned by the Kremlin. If folks didn't know that (the name is a hint..lol) then here's the news flash.

Voice of America is also wholly owned by the US Government and America news organizations have literally had working offices on the White House grounds at different points, beyond the free for all mess they give them all at the Press center.

BBC is British by nature of their system and unique methods of censoring what doesn't please the Crown.

CBC is Canadian and lets see them do a serious, blow the doors out SLAM piece on their own leadership. Ratings won't be a problem for whomever did it, I'm thinking. In fact, public appearances in general wouldn't be a problem after the reaction that would bring.

Press.TV is Iran's state TV, China has theirs...India has a version of it and naturally places like Syria produce some of the better news (only news) in a local and street level way through...state controlled news sources. Not war coverage...but if I LIVED there..what is interesting to read about? That sort of thing gives more context and color to a situation than 10 hours watching CNN or Fox, IMO.

As long as we keep the biases and direction of spin each source brings, well in mind? Critical thinking we're all supposed to be capable of should lead us through the mix of garbage from the occasional piece of decent information.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 15-3-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: Fixing box.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

If RT is deemed state propaganda, then so is BBC, CNN, France24, CTV of their respective countries.

RT is funded in part by the Russian government, but that means nothing. They have independent reporters internationally. Just like the BBC does. The BBC is also funded by the UK government.

It's impossible to remove bias.

The thing is, when you have one than one source, you can make up your own mind.

RT will be critical of UK/US related stories.
BBC/CNN will be critical of Russia related stories.

If you remove RT from the picture, sure, you can continue to blow kisses at the tyrants in buckingham palace and appraise the US drone programme that attacks wedding parties, but you'll never see the OTHER side of things.

I understand that RT might be biased for obvious reasons over the Crimea/Ukraine conflict, but personally after looking at multiple angles (BBC, CNN, etc) around the world... RT has done the best job at reporting facts. The West in particular are the ones spewing rhetoric and taking jabs at misleading headlines, usually twisting them.

Censorship is a slippery road. If you allowone source/site/place to be censored, then you can censor all.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

The thing about RT, is in the process of denigrating the west they simply have to use the truth a significant amount of the time. I've heard this about Al Jazeera also. They should be banned... yada yada. Usually from dipsticks wrapping themselves in the US Constitution. Well, more specifically, the 2nd amendment and all that other supporting stuff.

I know we are talking about ATS and not the US, but it's the same rationale.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

I think you're absolutely right about RT there in how they use truth even when attacking by agenda. I do also read Al Jazeera and for the same reason. Neither would ever do as a sole source to feel I read the truth on an overall story....but I've found them both very valuable for filling in places other outlets leave out.

Of course, for local Middle Eastern issues or Russian issues there? Those two cover their own backyards well enough to make them near the top of my list for initial outlines to what has happened somewhere they 'live'.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

YES!

And CNN, FOX, and MSNBC, etc. aren't controlled by the US government? Ever heard of Operation Mockingbird? ALL NEWS is propaganda to believe otherwise is a complete mental failure on a person's part.

Russia Today (RT) is just a different side of that propaganda. Even though I know they spin stories as "pro-Russian" I at least feel their news about the USA is more critical - like US media should be!

edit on 15-3-2014 by WCmutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

The US Constitution & Bill of Rights vs RT

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

rigel4
propaganda.

I've always been against RT as being significantly worse than Fox News. It's not a news sources, and never should be considered so by anyone.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

sparks88
reply to post by rigel4

RT has done the best job at reporting facts. The West in particular are the ones spewing rhetoric and taking jabs at misleading headlines, usually twisting them.

Did RT show all the scenes behind camera?

(That's pro-russian "titushky" posing as protesters for press)
www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-3-2014 by PonderingSceptic because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2014 by PonderingSceptic because: link

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

rigel4

NO.. Not a shill.. I can pick through News sources that have biased slants in them ie (FOX))
and also the rest of the MSN...However Russia today is PURE propaganda.

If you listen to the their broadcasts,they can't go more than a couple of sentences without Anti Western Slights .. its disgusting blatant Lies.

So my question still remains.. RT is not a news source1 It is spin arm of the Kremlin.
So should it be banned on here?

edit on Sat, 15 Mar 2014 06:09:49 -0500096America/ChicagoSaturday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

Meh, it won't matter. If the members on this site want to find reasons to support their anti-western views and it allows them to sleep at night knowing their fantasy of being the Hero of a Red Dawn scenario might some day come true, then there will not being any stopping them. Anyways, they are convinced Russia is a democracy and Putin is freely elected; therefore making RT a legitimate source in their eyes.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Their reports should be taken with the same dose of salt as western msm. I just assume the truth is somewhere between their propaganda and ours. So IMO, both are useful as a comparison to figure out where each stop reporting facts and go off bias alone. In a way it has its usefulness.
With that said, no one should believe the reports solely "because it's RT". The west isn't the only ones to gain from propaganda here. Compare for the best conclusion.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

WCmutant
Russia Today (RT) is just a different side of that propaganda. Even though I know they spin stories as "pro-Russian" I at least feel their news about the USA is more critical - like US media should be!

Of course they'd be more critical about the USA, It's paid for by the Kremlin. When they become equally as Critical of their own Government then I'll take them as being objective.

Don't hold your breath

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
My work here is done....
I have opened a debate that needs debating!

RT is not an ordinary news channel.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

no, RT allows alternative voices heard to expose the US government, but they will not expose Russia. They allow the anarchists to get a voice, it benefits Russia as long as they don't have any negative to say about russia.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

rigel4
propaganda.

True, some of it is. But RT does have good, reliable, news reports on non political issues. I use it as a source for weather news, for example, for which it knocks spots off some UK media!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

rigel4
propaganda.

True, some of it is. But RT does have good, reliable, news reports on non political issues. I use it as a source for weather news, for example, for which it knocks spots off some UK media!

If they told ,e it was sunny in Moscow.. I would suspect it was
raining.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think the trick isn't so much to see RT be critical of the Kremlin. That's about as likely as Biden calling his boss out for being a complete fool in public. It fits, but we'll never see it in this life.

I think the problem has come where our side ceded the information battlefield without so much as a challenge. In fact, a mere challenge got us to cede, when it comes down to it. You're familiar with the story of how the Voice of America isn't so readily heard in the wilds of Russia any longer... I came across this and thought it important to share for perspective. While Russia has been aggressively moving into media markets, world wide, through it's RT property and it's parent organization, they've been very determined to restrict that in all forms for the other direction.

Unilateral Disarmament: How the West Has Destroyed its Broadcasting to Russia

That gives an important 1st hand account by a working journalist of how silence from the West came about for what was once a robust program to broadcast the other half of things. I guess RT is more than 'just one of the bunch' over there, given that look on things.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join