It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

update = M6.9 - OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneR

hey MODs...we should close this thread and go with TrueAmericans.... same topic...

see here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

thanx y'all.....and seeyas...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Checking in from Eureka, here. Was strikingly long in duration, but not too intense. No reports of damage so far on any local channels or from friends.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Where it was felt

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake occurred off the coast of Eureka in Northern California on Sunday night, the U.S. Geological Survey reported. The temblor hit at 10:18 p.m. 50 miles west of Eureka in Humboldt County. According to the USGS, the earthquake was felt over a large swath of the North Coast as well as other parts of Northern California. There were no immediate reports of injuries or tsunami warnings.

Updated at 10:49 p.m.: According to the USGS, the quake was felt over a large swath of the North Coast as well as other parts of Northern California. There have also been several smaller quakes that are believed to be aftershocks in the ocean off Eureka. www.latimes.com...

Source
Pacific coast is rocking tonight!
edit on 10-3-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

shaneR
reply to post by shaneR

hey MODs...we should close this thread and go with TrueAmericans.... same topic...

see here... www.abovetopsecret.com...

thanx y'all.....and seeyas...

No we shouldn't. They were started at the exact same time 10:25 pm

edit on 10-3-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I surely hope that humboldt bay nuclear power plant is safe as its about 50km away from the quake location.. and is one of the oldest power plants in US, built in 1963.
edit on 10-3-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Correction: Minor damage reports trickling in. At least one cold beverage was spilled in Arcata.

Source: www.reddit.com...
edit on 10-3-2014 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

hey Tearman.... THANX for the reply...and so local... much appreciated...
you seem to be right where the action was...

can U tell us how long the SHAKEs were... in mins/secs .... if U can tell.... thanx again

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

thanx Violet... appreciate the extra input... stay safe

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
It seemed to go on for a long time in comparison to other earthquakes I've experienced before. I would say it was at least 40 seconds. It was frightening how long it lasted, and I kept expecting it to kick into gear and become serious. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Maybe half an hour before the earthquake happened there was an unusual sounding boom that was heard all throughout the city. It appears it may have been lightning, but it did sound quite odd to me and a lot of other people in the area.

This local website shows a few reports on the mysterious boom: lostcoastoutpost.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

hi Westcoast... thanx for the reply... we all appreciate your info...

to quote U from the TrueAmericans thread " experts are saying this is a strike-slip mechanism of the Gorda Plate.

(at least so far...) "

thanx again...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Oh man, feeling sandwiched down here in SoCal...
Seems we are always talking about the big one in these parts..
Glad I will have some time to follow this tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

thanx again Tearman.... 40 seconds...wow...that must have been intense....

thanx also for the link...

i am reading with interest about the LOUD BANG, heard locally, earlier in the day....

i note one post says..."I'm at 8th and N and clearly saw a flash of light followed by smoke."

and this... "We saw the flash of light with the boom in old town too."

AND THIS>>> "Shook my windows here in henderson"

are these BANGs regular???? with flashs of light??? but they are not lightning? weird eh...

maybe some underground / tectonic energy"

ps.... how long before earthquake was it? i see one person says BANG was 9.33...wasnt E/Q at 9.17?

i see U say it was 1/2 hr, sorry... but i am confused by the others claims...(in the link)

just thinkin'...
edit on 10/3/2014 by shaneR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

shaneR
are these BANGs regular???? with flashs of light??? but they are not lightning? weird eh...
maybe some underground / tectonic energy"
ps.... how long before earthquake was it? i see one person says BANG was 9.33...wasnt E/Q at 9.17?
i see U say it was 1/2 hr, sorry... but i am confused by the others claims...(in the link)
just thinkin'...
edit on 10/3/2014 by shaneR because: (no reason given)

Yes the booms have been a regular occurance since sometime during the summer I believe. We only rarely get ligthning around here, but I suppose some of the booms could have been isolated lightning strikes. It has been my opinion that most of the booms were the result of fireworks. The one tonight seems like it was heard over too great a distance to have been a firework though. A friend said he was outdoors at the time and that he thinks it was lightning.

1/2 was my estimate. I went on the site I linked to almost immediately after the boom I heard tonight and there were already reports of it when I first checked, So the earliest reports there probably happened a few minutes at most after the boom.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
all MODS must be sleeping... cause the other thread created the exact same time says California was slammed.. when it was not.

hope this thread stays open instead of the misnomer one thats misleading =D

i wonder if they'll update it again to 6.0 or something?

Russia may be right (Russia warned US that there would be a big one in Cali - a megaquake - late 2013/early 2014

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

gardener
all MODS must be sleeping... cause the other thread created the exact same time says California was slammed.. when it was not.

hope this thread stays open instead of the misnomer one thats misleading =D

i wonder if they'll update it again to 6.0 or something?

Russia may be right (Russia warned US that there would be a big one in Cali - a megaquake - late 2013/early 2014

I'm confused, are you miffed because you think the magnitude is less than it actually is? Why would they downgrade to a 6.0? M6.9 - 77km WNW of Ferndale, California 2014-03-10 05:18:12 UTC

Or are you just upset that someone else's thread posted simultaneously is the more flagged & starred (thus more viewed) one?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I could put a disclaimer that I dont respond to words put in my mouth...

but nah, that is a given on ATS (deny ignorance).

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Actually, my thread was posted just slightly (by seconds I guess) sooner. You can tell if you click the new link at top on the toolbar, and also, if you go to the Fragile Earth forum index. My thread was there first. And if you look over in the quake watch thread, I posted notice of it two minutes earlier than either of our two threads- because I am live monitoring seismometers all over the pacific, in addition to several volcanoes.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
As for person(s) claiming a quake slammed California, that is why my first question in this thread is asking if anyone in California felt anything at all.

I dont see any confirmations of Californians being slammed. It's quite bizarre to claim an offshore quake 81km away from the nearest coastaline in California, 'slammed' California.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Tearman

Thank God it wasn't a whiskey sour!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

gardener
As for person(s) claiming a quake slammed California, that is why my first question in this thread is asking if anyone in California felt anything at all.

I dont see any confirmations of Californians being slammed. It's quite bizarre to claim an offshore quake 81km away from the nearest coastaline in California, 'slammed' California.

Maybe check the DYFI responses on the USGS page itself? It was felt over a rather large area, intensity of course varying.

DYFI Responses

"Getting slammed" doesn't necessarily have to mean a mega 8+ happened. This was pretty widely felt, and to me, "slammed" is an appropriate description. Whole lotta energy was released.

<< 1    3 >>

join