It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture Of Baby With Hands On Rifle Causes Stir

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

No. YOUR version of gun safety is what I consider "pansy". It ignores logic and focuses on fear. Logos is never diminutive to pathos.
fear? Man, you are smarter than that. Nothing I have said has anything to do with fear. Why is it so hard for people to understand that this is about IMAGE and CULTURE, not immediate danger?

On top of that, if it only focuses on fear, than your issue is with firearm safety trainers, not me, as it is the first thing taught.

There is nothing wrong with that image/culture. I have firearms. Lots of them. Some of them will be given to my youngest in 2 years, as he earned the money to pay for them himself.

On my nightstand is a 9mm. In the corner, my 12ga. Both loaded. They are regular tools. I also have various knives, various wrenches/drills....they are just items. They have no special meaning to someone who isn't taught to fear them. They are just items. So it IS pathos that drives the concern.

Yup. Like I said before-people like me are the problem...people who can admit there is an issue with gun culture in america while still supporting the 2nd. We are such a HUGE problem. Giant even.

I don't agree that there is even a "gun culture" in America. Let alone a problem with it.

Now, there IS a movement of people who are tired of being pushed around and told what to do. Guns just happen to be the cause du jour.

The easy solution is to just leave everyone else alone. Worry about your own household. That is the American way. That is the culture that I think you are concerned with: people who are not going to be ruled.
edit on 3/7/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I think its just inappropriate to put a tool of violence in a picture with a baby. Safety on or empty makes no difference at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

There is nothing wrong with that image/culture. I have firearms. Lots of them. Some of them will be given to my youngest in 2 years, as he earned the money to pay for them himself. On my nightstand is a 9mm. In the corner, my 12ga. Both loaded. They are regular tools. I also have various knives, various wrenches/drills....they are just items. They have no special meaning to someone who isn't taught to fear them. They are just items. So it IS pathos that drives the concern.
I own 4 guns, more knives than I can count, multiple swords, and about a dozen machetes.

Care to tell me what this has to do with gun image and culture?

I don't agree that there is even a "gun culture" in America. Let alone a problem with it.
Then you arent paying attention. Flip on your tv and tell me how many channels you pass before you see a gun.

Now, there IS a movement of people who are tired of being pushed around and told what to do. Guns just happen to be the cause du jour.
Ok....? Again, maybe you missed my point, but I never told anyone what to do.

The easy solution is to just leave everyone else alone. Worry about your own household. That is the American way. That is the culture that I think you are concerned with: people who are not going to be ruled.
There you go again, telling what I should or shouldnt do, while accusing me of doing it (even though I didnt).

If you go back and actually read my comments, youll see that I specifically said that I wasnt crucifying the guy for this, and that I have seen much worse many times.

But apparently only people who think ANYTHING having to do with guns is good are the ones allowed to have an opinion....the rest of us are "pansies" or "driven by fear".
edit on 7-3-2014 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I own 4 guns, more knives than I can count, multiple swords, a couple grenades,

Just what country do you live in?
The grenades is what has my interest piqued.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

butcherguy

USa. Honestly, I probably ought to remove that part of the comment. While they are legally owned, its not something I normally advertise.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

USa. Honestly, I probably ought to remove that part of the comment. While they are legally owned, its not something I normally advertise.

Indeed.
I should go all ape# over you for possessing weapons of mass destruction in the same country that I live in. That's what the charges are if they find normal people with grenades. Along with risking catastrophe and the like.
edit on bu312014-03-07T13:17:45-06:0001America/ChicagoFri, 07 Mar 2014 13:17:45 -06001u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

SonoftheSun

Ok then. Please tell us, what could have happened here?

For that little moment the baby had it in front of him while everyone was watching...what could have happened?
edit on 3 6 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing a word

Germs "shiver"...the thing is in a store touched by who knows who...I am see GERMS!!

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Char-Lee

SonoftheSun

Ok then. Please tell us, what could have happened here?

For that little moment the baby had it in front of him while everyone was watching...what could have happened?
edit on 3 6 2014 by SonoftheSun because: missing a word

Germs "shiver"...the thing is in a store touched by who knows who...I am see GERMS!!

Excellent point!
The baby is more at risk from the possibility of contracting a communicable disease than being injured by the rifle.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

butcherguy

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

Indeed.
I should go all ape# over you for possessing weapons of mass destruction in the same country that I live in. That's what the charges are if they find normal people with grenades. Along with risking catastrophe and the like.
edit on bu312014-03-07T13:17:45-06:0001America/ChicagoFri, 07 Mar 2014 13:17:45 -06001u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)
Like I said, theyre legally owned, so if you want to go ape, by all means, do so.

Betcha if I put them in a baby's hands and took pictures, a lot of people would talk about how cute it was....

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

Indeed.
Like I said, theyre legally owned, so if you want to go ape, by all means, do so.

Betcha if I put them in a baby's hands and took pictures, a lot of people would talk about how cute it was....

I would worry at lot less about them being in a baby's hands than yours. Why? Because the baby can't pull the pin (provided that the pin hasn't been previously manipulated or altered from the original). You could.

BTW, which way do you safely point a grenade when using it?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

butcherguy

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

captaintyinknots

butcherguy

Indeed.

I would worry at lot less about them being in a baby's hands than yours. Why? Because the baby can't pull the pin (provided that the pin hasn't been previously manipulated or altered from the original). You could.

BTW, which way do you safely point a grenade when using it?
Ummm....you point grenades?

That was a sad attempt, friend....

But hey, whatever logical fallacy makes you feel as though youve proven a point....

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You made a big deal out of where the unloaded rifle was pointed in the baby photo in the beginning of this thread.

You certainly get my point about how a grenade is a weapon that kills within a certain radius and maims within another larger radius.... regardless of who might be inside of said circles.

You do get that....right?

What's the tax on a grenade run you anyway?

edit on bu312014-03-07T13:55:10-06:0001America/ChicagoFri, 07 Mar 2014 13:55:10 -06001u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You made a big deal out of where the unloaded rifle was pointed in the baby photo in the beginning of this thread.
No, i didnt, but thanks for playing. The only thing I said about it was that it was irresponsible. In fact, I said SPECIFICALLY that where it was pointed was moot.

Again, why do you all feel the need to lie?

You certainly get my point about how a grenade is a weapon that kills within a certain radius and maims within another larger radius.... regardless of who might be inside of said circles.
And thus, I handle them RESPONSIBLY.

You do get that....right?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

You did say this:

Ever see a marine say "sure, point that gun at people. Ive verified that its empty"?

So, you did make a point about where a gun is pointed, did you not? Here. You made that statement when someone else called you out.

Am I lying?

Whatever, you should worry about your own safety, not a baby that couldn't possibly manipulate the weapon to fire it.

edit on bu312014-03-07T14:07:02-06:0002America/ChicagoFri, 07 Mar 2014 14:07:02 -06002u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

So, you did make a point about where a gun is pointed, did you not. Here.
No, I actually responded to a person who was trying to make a point about where the gun was pointed with that statement. Did you miss that part or just overlook it? And why do you ignore the multiple times that I said where it was pointed is irrelevant? Oh...thats right....because you cant use it to try and make me look bad....

Am I lying?
Either that or jumping to conclusions without reading what I actually have said. Take your pick.

Whatever, you should worry about your own safety, not a baby that couldn't possibly manipulate the weapon to fire it.
You all keep jumping back to safety, even though I never said anything about safety. I SPOKE OF RESPONSIBILITY. Seriously, you guys cannot be this obtuse....

Want to keep trying?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

PhoenixOD
I think its just inappropriate to put a tool of violence in a picture with a baby. Safety on or empty makes no difference at all.

Think it all you want. Talk about it all you want. Act on it within your own family. Live your life without being what you deem inappropriate.

But please draw the line at judging others or, worse yet, attempting to control or limit or otherwise infringe upon the behavior of others, particularly when you rarely, iif ever have all the information and particularly because it doesn't affect your life in any way, shape, or form. That's not such a hard thing to do, is it?

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

~Lucidity

PhoenixOD

Think it all you want. Talk about it all you want. Act on it within your own family. Live your life without being what you deem inappropriate.

But please draw the line at judging others or, worse yet, attempting to control or limit or otherwise infringe upon the behavior of others, particularly when you rarely, iif ever have all the information and particularly because it doesn't affect your life in any way, shape, or form. That's not such a hard thing to do, is it?
I keep seeing people say this, and I have to ask...who is trying to control this person? To say that it is irresponsible or innapropriate is not trying to control people. It is giving a personal viewpoint.

Oh...thats right....if you arent of the mind that 100% of things to do with guns are good, you are trying to control people. My bad. I forgot.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

even though I never said anything about safety.

Better yet...

You all keep jumping back to safety, even though I never said anything about safety. I SPOKE OF RESPONSIBILITY. Seriously, you guys cannot be this obtuse....

I get it, you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Here is your statement....

General gun safety. Its that simple. Ever see a marine say "sure, point that gun at people. Ive verified that its empty"? This is the the most basic and simple rule of firearms.

If you want to try reading that some other way, great. I highlighted the part that you just denied, maybe it will help.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Ugh. This is pathetic. Please, if you want to attack what Ive said, go and read what I have said. You are picking and choosing small snippets and then presenting them out of context.

And you wonder why I accuse you of lying. Intellectual dishonesty is more accurate.

For the last time: I AM SPEAKING OF RESPONSIBILITY, not of any immediate danger shown in the pic. Ive said it a dozen times now. If you want to keep trying to twist what Ive said, go for it.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Well, first of all, I didn't say anyone was trying to control anyone per se. I asked that they didn't.

But second of all, don't we all really know that ultimately this is all about power and control? Telling others how to live or forcing them to live a certain way that you believe is right because you believe it is right? Some would call that society to a degree, but how do we define society or more importantly, how do we define when society goes overboard.

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join