It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Picture Of Baby With Hands On Rifle Causes Stir

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

kx12x

captaintyinknots

kx12x
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Im not going to explain it again, and it is quite worrisome that so many of you defending this dont know the basics of responsible handling of weapons.

Please, I'm very informed on firearms saftey and responsibilty.

The barrel is not pointed at anyone (as far as I can tell)
The rifle is not loaded
Fingers off the trigger.

Care to explain to me how is it irresponsible?

And..... so you don't think it's a rather pathetic picture that aims to show how a baby should be indoctrinated to like guns? If the picture was of a North Korean hugging a nuclear warhead would you think "ah, bless"?

Wow, sometimes the people on here amaze me. If the child was hugging a bible, the Atheists would shout how the baby was being indoctrinated, if it was the Koran you would be turning pale, if it was a sign saying "gays are ok in my book" you would be passed out on your sofa, if the child was holding a picture of Obama you would all be shrieking how it was an evil publicity stunt, but it's a gun, so you are ok with it being shown with such a young child - armed or not (the gun that is) - so it meets your little agenda...... kind of sad isn't it? Get a grip.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

kx12x

Well lets look at the picture, yes it is within arms reach. It's also unloaded and safe. Where is the problem?

The problem is the message it sends out.

Thats guns are a "cool" and "cute" thing and fippant attitudes towards them are ok.
In reality they should be veiwed in a responsible and serious note.

You wonder why you have so many school shootings?

Its not cause there are too many guns or they are easly avalible.

It because peoples flippant attitudes towards them, like they are a go to solution to all problems.

And again before some dimwitt that cant read chimes in and accuses me of being a gun grabber, i have said nothimg of the sort about banning guns, just reajusting ones attitude.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
Bottom line, celebrating irresponsible use of weapons is a BAD thing for the pro gun crowd.

It is not funny. It is not cute.

Exactly

Your obviosly a responsible gun owner.
It must be frustrating as the fool supporting this are no just shooting themselves in the footbut makeing responisble gun owners like youself look bad.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

crazyewok
O and before some red neck dimwitt chimes in and makes asumptions based on my country.

Im all for the right to bare arms

BUT

Guns shouldnt be viewed so flipantly or worshiped.

They should be treated like any other dangrous tool, with respect

And the attitude is that except in hunting guns should NOT be the go too solution for ones problems unless its life or death and theres no other option.

You did it first with your own assumptions. I'll worship what I damn well want. Starting with freedom.

You should give it a try.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Again who has given you authority to proclaim the cause of these problems? Why be so incessant?

crazyewok

kx12x

Well lets look at the picture, yes it is within arms reach. It's also unloaded and safe. Where is the problem?

Thats guns are a "cool" and "cute" thing and fippant attitudes towards them are ok.

It because peoples flippant attitudes towards them, like they are a go to solution to all problems.

And again before some dimwitt that cant read chimes in and accuses me of being a gun grabber, i have said nothimg of the sort about banning guns, just reajusting ones attitude.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

James1982
The dog pic is classic, and raises a perfectly good comparison.

There are probably millions of picture online of babies sleeping or sitting on big dangerous dogs, cats, or any other animal out there. Where is the outrage?

Where as an unloaded firearm sitting in front of a baby literally has no possible way of hurting it (aside from it falling on the baby, a danger every single object on earth has) a baby who is sitting with a dog or cat is in actual, real, serious danger. However tame a dog or cat is, they are ALL capable of moments of extremely violent outburst, which could tear a poor baby to shreds before their irresponsible parents have a chance to help.

Did that sound a little ridiculous? Good, because it was supposed to. People take baby pictures with pets all the time, we all know it's possible the pet will claw the hell out of the baby, why do we all forget about that and think it's so cute? Yet an unloaded firearm, which actually poses far LESS real danger than a dog or cat, gets so much outrage?

The answer is hypocrites and the easily controlled.

Sheesh, you really are all so mindset aren't this aren't you? Don't you understand? Actually I can help. There are indeed instances of babies being attacked by dogs, there's no denying it - but none by what look like pugs in the actual picture shown.

That isn't the point. The point is that the picture the OP has rather crassly tried to show is that the baby feels an empathy with a gun. Now, if that picture had (delete where appropriate) the baby holding a - bible - a Koran - an Israeli flag - a picture of Obama - a picture of two people of the same sex looking lovingly into each others eyes...... actually I could go on and on and on, ATS would probably be on meltdown, but that doesn't matter to you it appears - babies should learn to love the gun as soon as possible, right? I'm not saying this from an anti gun perspective ( I personally am, but each to their own), it just appears worrying, that's all.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TiedDestructor

What hell is that BS freedom coment about.

Yeah fine worship guns if you like, place them on a golden peddlestall and treat them as the go to solution to evey problem.

Just dont whine when your kids get shot up at school.

Or whine when more people join the ban guns brigade.

If you just had kept a responsible mature attitude to guns in the first place im sure the 2nd amendment wouldnt be in the lime light or under queation in the first place.

O and you talking to a future gun owner ( yes we can have guns in the UK)

edit on 6-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

TiedDestructor
Again who has given you authority to proclaim the cause of these problems? Why be so incessant?

crazyewok

kx12x

Same person that gave you the authrity to speak back to me.
IEno one, last time i checked ATS was INTERNATIONAL forum and i had freedom of speech, dont like it? Go find a American only forum!

Anyway something is causeing the US gun violence problem in schools so either

1)its the avalbility of guns, but to , me that dont work at other countrys have even lesd gun control and dont have the US problem

Or
2) something else

Im going with 2and that its a mixture of bad mental healthcare and a bad/ borderline cult status of guns that give the view thats guns are a normal way to resolve problems.
edit on 6-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

crazyewok

Yeah fine worship guns if you like, place them on a golden peddlestall and treat them as the go to solution to evey problem.

If you just had kept a responsible mature attitude to guns in the first place im sure the 2nd amendment wouldnt be in the lime light or under queation.

Your accusing me of being immature? You my friend are delusional.

To prevent thread drift I concede my aggression.

Plus your avatar keeps me grinning.....

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I dont mean owning a gun makes you immature, sorry if you thought thats what i meant.

Its the attitude im talking about.

I own I work in a lab, i handle lots of dangrous stuff. But to me I always keep a healthly repect of the stuff i work with. Especialy around kids to make sure i send out a positive message.

No the baby in the picture was likley not at risk and no laws were broken.
But I think some thoughts need to be on what sort of mesage does the picture convey, not only does itsend out a bad message but it also does give ammo to the gun grabbers to be used against you and thats a shame for all you responsible gun owners.

And yeah cant best a ewok yub yub

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

That was well said.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

When I was about 4, my father brought out all of his guns ( quite an awesome collection actually, 357 magnum long barrel, a mossberg 12 gauge and a remington 20 gauge( my moms shotgun), a .30-06 rifle(cant remember the make), a japanese rifle from Iwo Jima( very powerful, put a 6 inch crack in a 1/2 inch iron bathtub), a .38 colt, a .45 colt, a remington 10-22, a remington 4-10, and a remington .22), he showed us how all of them worked and looked loaded and unloaded.

He then explained what they did, and showed us what they could do, and explained to us the consequences of us "playing" with them on our own.

We never once touched dad's guns without him present and supervising.

My father and grandfather come from a long line of gun lovers, my brother and I are the last the bare our name, neither of us has firearms in our homes, because their mothers are terrified they would "play" with them to a bad outcome.

I feel like I have broken a chain, long standing, of competent firearms ownership.

Though, in all honesty my children have shot and handled many firearms, grandpa still has a nice collection. They also though, show the proper respect for all arms at all times, even checking the breach when handed to them.

It brings a tear to my eye.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It's the only way some poor guy could think off to get views and likes on his facebook page. Otherwise just obsessed with guns.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

crazyewok

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by HomerinNC

I guess the baby will get schooled early on the most important words in the US constitution, the sacrosanct 2nd amendment. Maybe some of that other supporting mumbo-jumbo too.

If you have lethal force, with sufficient discharge efficiency, you have true freedom. I could go on, but I'm tearing up.

If the 2nd has been that important why havent a million of you marched on DC with your AR 15 yet?

Washington and patriots took arms as far less tyrany than you have today.

Untill you American grow a spine and stand up to you gov the 2nd is like all your other "rights" just words on a bit of paper your goverment ignores.

While I like the tone of your post, you Sir are absolutely wrong.

The government is not stealing our stuff and lands( well they are in some aspects, but not outright like the brits were), not forcing us to house soldiers and police, not confiscating weapons(yet).

There was way more oppression back then than now, though we are approaching that limit faster by the day.

Once they cross the line, one of the biggest $h!7 storms the world has ever seen will occur.

The "arab spring" will look like a tea party with cupcakes and cookies in comparison.

Stay tuned, things may get interesting.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

uncommitted

kx12x

captaintyinknots

kx12x

Im not going to explain it again, and it is quite worrisome that so many of you defending this dont know the basics of responsible handling of weapons.

Please, I'm very informed on firearms saftey and responsibilty.

The barrel is not pointed at anyone (as far as I can tell)
The rifle is not loaded
Fingers off the trigger.

Care to explain to me how is it irresponsible?

And..... so you don't think it's a rather pathetic picture that aims to show how a baby should be indoctrinated to like guns? If the picture was of a North Korean hugging a nuclear warhead would you think "ah, bless"?

Wow, sometimes the people on here amaze me. If the child was hugging a bible, the Atheists would shout how the baby was being indoctrinated, if it was the Koran you would be turning pale, if it was a sign saying "gays are ok in my book" you would be passed out on your sofa, if the child was holding a picture of Obama you would all be shrieking how it was an evil publicity stunt, but it's a gun, so you are ok with it being shown with such a young child - armed or not (the gun that is) - so it meets your little agenda...... kind of sad isn't it? Get a grip.

Seriously???

Just so you know, I dont care if it was a bible( I am not religious BTW, not an atheist either I believe in a "higher power" just not any recognized by any organized religion) or Koran, or pro gay sign.

They are the parents of the child, they have a right to raise them in the manner they deem proper.

Do I agree with all the ways children are raised, no, is it my business to MAKE them comply to MY standards? Absolutely not.

I thought sense was "common"

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

crazyewok

kx12x

The problem isnt guns, it is mental issues, such as insanity.

Crazies exist all over, they will do "crazy" things, hence them being crazy in the first place.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

TiedDestructor

crazyewok

If you just had kept a responsible mature attitude to guns in the first place im sure the 2nd amendment wouldnt be in the lime light or under queation.

Your accusing me of being immature? You my friend are delusional.

To prevent thread drift I concede my aggression.

Plus your avatar keeps me grinning.....

It is undeniably adorable isnt it?

I also find it hard to disagree with a giant walking teddy bear, even the name "Ewok" is cute and adorable to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

If i were a betting man, i would hazard a guess that it was a type 99 Arisaka (something like a 7.7x58mm, if memory serves). Powerful enough to hunt elk with, if you don't mind tracking them a bit.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
There is nothing irresponsible about this picture. Nothing at all.

It can be asserted by some of my highly respected peers at ATS that there is, and with that we will not find agreement. Because there is nothing wrong with the picture.

There is so little wrong with it that I wonder why it is even being discussed. I gave my 13 year old (at the time) a 9mm sidearm to carry with him while he went to hunt in his own blind. When he shot a hog, he pulled his sidearm to put a "finish" round in him. Then radio'd me to tell me about his success (i heard the shots and already knew).

There is just nothing wrong with it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by oblvion

If i were a betting man, i would hazard a guess that it was a type 99 Arisaka (something like a 7.7x58mm, if memory serves). Powerful enough to hunt elk with, if you don't mind tracking them a bit.

Good call!!!!

I just looked it up, that is without a doubt the very gun I mentioned,!!!!

You Sir know your weapons.
www.google.com... %253Dtbn%253AANd9GcSft5_KLaFj3gBX6Wt7ZxdcVQORIlPTAXasEDJWhzmcjl8RPpD0EA%253B720%253B540%253BTEVUQYTCxFxZmM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fcommons.wikime dia.org%25252Fwiki%25252FFile%25253AArisaka_Type_99_boltlocked.jpg&source=iu&usg=__qxbjPzK5ht_qXFc8r_2U-xwYoOs%3D&sa=X&ei=IigZU-a4BcXs2QXb5IHICQ&ved=0 CCsQ9QEwAg&biw=1366&bih=705#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=YWy3cIEb8hmkHM%253A%3BTEVUQYTCxFxZmM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fupload.wikimedia.org%252Fwikipedia%252Fco mmons%252F3%252F3c%252FArisaka_Type_99_boltlocked.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fcommons.wikimedia.org%252Fwiki%252FFile%253AArisaka_Type_99_boltlocked.jpg% 3B720%3B540

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join