It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China ups military spend by 12 percent. Are the gloves coming off?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Who cares about who owns what in China? Especially if the state owns means of production, it's even less reason to worry. We all know state made crap tends to be substandard and crappy. Besides, China ain't gonna attack their customer numero uno. If we go down, so do they.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You have a valid point, in that a 12% increase in their budget would go a lot further than a 12% increase in the US budget.

However, they could increase their budget by 100% and still be orders of magnitude below the military capabilities of the US. If you buy on the cheap, you get cheap results in return.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. No one else is even close to overtaking the US as far as military goes. Whether that is right or wrong is a completely different discussion.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by neo96

So according to your article we are spending $495 billion.

China is spending $132 billion and according to this site Russia spends around $77 billion so even if they became the closest of friends they are spending a combined $209 billion compared to our $495 billion.

Egads!!!!

Russia Military Strength
edit on 5-3-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

Actually China is spending :

132,000,000,000.00 USD = 807,849,662,226.02 CNY

www.xe.com...

77,000,000,000.00 USD = 2,775,456,090,910.76 RUB

www.xe.com...

Like I said NO COUNTRY USES THE SAME CURRENCY.

And 'we' spend more blah,blah,blah.

Oh and the EURO is worth more than the USD, and so is the British Pound.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Guenter

neo96

Also what part do people not understand that the US has a larger population than the EU ?

Really?

USA: WIKI: - 2013 estimate 317,638,000

EY: WIKI: - - 2012 estimate 507,890,191

try again

Yeah someone does need to try again.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I used the facts and figures you used in your op.

Not going to respond? On the Facts?

NATO 88k main battle tanks'

Russia 15,500

Wanna compare air forces? You can lump both Russia and China's together.

Nato Aircraft carriers 22 vs Russia's 4

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

neo96

Actually China is spending :

132,000,000,000.00 USD = 807,849,662,226.02 CNY

www.xe.com...

77,000,000,000.00 USD = 2,775,456,090,910.76 RUB

www.xe.com...

Oh way back in the 1960's I was once worth 14,000,000.00 after I exchanged my few 100$ into Italian Lira.
You conversion makes as damn much sense as me claiming I was a "Millionaire".

When statistics are given on GNP, Military spending etc. They use one single Currency, namely they do quote in US-$ unless noted otherwise.
edit on 5 3 2014 by Guenter because: ETA

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I used the facts and figures you used in your op.

So did I right here

Whats the problem ?

Not going to respond? On the Facts?

I did respond.

Wanna compare air forces?

Counting the latest defense cuts?

Nato Aircraft carriers 22 vs Russia's 4

Russia would prolly have more if it wasn't selling them to China, and India.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You are pretending that it's equal footing for what we can buy and what they can buy. As much as their stuff is cheaper, it's also cheaper...

Look at air power. No one matches the US. Look at transport... Look at Carriers.. Look at Drones... Look at Stealth.. Look at training.. Look at satellites.. Look at combined radar data targeting information.. Force projection..

ADD NATO and it gets utterly and completely ridiculous to even compare the West to the rest...

Avoiding any land wars in Asia the only factor that makes it "equal" is nuclear weaponry.

What are you so afraid of Neo?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Guenter

You conversion makes as damn much sense as me claiming I was a "Millionaire".

Aww shucks the world does have currency exchange rates.

When statistics are given on GNP, Military spending etc. They use one single Currency, namely they do quote in US-$ unless noted otherwise.

So what ?

Both Russia, and China have their own currency and it's less than the USD.

Which means they spend MORE money.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Can you show a threat that justifies the US spending so much on the military? Or what is the real reason your so against any cuts to the military budget? Connected to the corporate MIC and the government teet?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

You are pretending that it's equal footing for what we can buy and what they can buy. As much as their stuff is cheaper, it's also cheaper...

No the people who are saying 'we spend more' than xyz are pretending they are on an equal footing.

Currency does not hold the same value around the world which is why countries make their own.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

"China ups military spend by 12 percent. Are the gloves coming off?"

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, hell yes.

Obama feels that an bowing and apologizing for America is the right approach for America to take.

Might as well change the "Red, White, and Blue" to simply. . . . "White".

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by neo96

Can you show a threat that justifies the US spending so much on the military? Or what is the real reason your so against any cuts to the military budget? Connected to the corporate MIC and the government teet?

He's an Obvious Liberal....

on military spending.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   

LDragonFire
reply to post by neo96

You mean like the Germans in World War 1,2,Korea,Vietnam,Gulf Wars, 1, and 2, and the latest events of Syria,and Ukraine.

China in the South China sea going around saying the own they whole damn thing.

Not enough of history there for you?

What is the real reason ?

80 years of the military being used in some way.

It is amazing how many people don't even realize how much they depend on it.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

neo96

So what ?

I wasn't aware that you failed in math ... sorry I bothered replying.

Bye

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Haven't been paying attention to China flexing it's 'muscle' in the 'South China Sea' ?

Egads, you mean they have their naval power by THEIR HOME in the CHINA SEA by CHINA. Next you will tell me they operate in the East China Sea as well. OMG.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Guenter

neo96

So what ?

I wasn't aware that you failed in math ... sorry I bothered replying.

Bye

Yeah someone failed math.

The US dollar has more value than either Russia, or China's currency.

Which means what?
edit on 5-3-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

There's a lot more to it than the amount spent. The new budget would remove the U-2 and A-10, cut new fighter and UAV buys, slash the P-8 buy in half, etc.

Meanwhile, we still have F-15s and F-16s as our primary fighter force. The Eagle fleet is over 25 years old on average, the Viper fleet is approaching the early 20s. A number of Eagles are still flying with longeron patches, are G limited as well as speed limited. The Viper fleet has 25% with cracks in the wings or bulkheads.

Something like 90% of the F-15 fleet is within 5-10% of their expected life cycle, so they're extending the life cycle of the fleet.

That's just a tiny fraction of just the Air Force. While everyone else is modernizing the US is cutting and coasting.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

A lot of people forget to take into account the cost of the ongoing wars and their role in depleting US stockpiles of hardware and ammunition. China and Russia have been fairly conservative with their use of existing stockpiles, and they also hang defence contractors when they steal from the state. The US is still going ahead with programs like the LCS ships and the F35's even though they know them to be inferior, not to mention investing in the continued building of more Ford class Aircraft carriers and M1 tanks and armoured personnel carriers even though they have a glut of the hardware.

It is hard to paint an accurate picture of what a full on conventional war would look like without nuclear weapons, and who will side with whom. Would India side with NATO or Russia, no one is paying them any attention but they have more and more gear every year, lots of soldiers and potential for conscripts and less and less of affinity for the US. What about Brazil or Argentina, they may seem like nothing but who will they side with? World wars are just that, world wars, and one cannot look at one member state without taking into account the affects as a whole. This 12 percent increase means there is going to be more hardware, and more hardware means more casualties. War is such a nasty business.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by neo96

Haven't been paying attention to China flexing it's 'muscle' in the 'South China Sea' ?

Egads, you mean they have their naval power by THEIR HOME in the CHINA SEA by CHINA. Next you will tell me they operate in the East China Sea as well. OMG.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

If you call islands in Japan's territorial waters their 'home'.

If you call the soverign nation of Taiwan their 'home' waters.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join