It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 170
<< 167  168  169    171  172  173 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Putin's Playbook: The Strategy Behind Russia's Takeover of Crimea

www.theatlantic.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
some key principles in countering Russian acts in Crimea

Read more: www.dailystar.com.lb...
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: www.dailystar.com.lb...)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Russia produces the Yakhont cruise missile. (and much more) They have as many as they want to have. I don't meant to be snarky by that either, but literally stating a fact that we're not used to facing in an adversary. Everyone else going back a few decades has been importer nations of what they fought us with. They neither had the knowledge/technical or industrial base to produce their own top end systems, much less, produce beyond it to what we may not even know exist at this moment in time.

Among many factors, that's one that makes tangling with Russia a singularly bad idea.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

majesticgent

KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine may have to arm itself with nuclear weapons if the United States and other world powers refuse to enforce a security pact that obligates them to reverse the Moscow-backed takeover of Crimea, a member of the Ukraine parliament told USA TODAY.

The United States, Great Britain and Russia agreed in a pact "to assure Ukraine's territorial integrity" in return for Ukraine giving up a nuclear arsenal it inherited from the Soviet Union after declaring independence in 1991, said Pavlo Rizanenko, a member of the Ukrainian parliament.

"We gave up nuclear weapons because of this agreement," said Rizanenko, a member of the Udar Party headed by Vitali Klitschko, a candidate for president. "Now there's a strong sentiment in Ukraine that we made a big mistake."

Source: www.ksdk.com...

Sadly i feel alot of countries are going too come to the same conclusion.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I wonder if the Crimean referendum date is connected with the closing date of the Sochi Paraolympics? Both are on March 16, correct?

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

dbo24
I wonder if the Crimean referendum date is connected with the closing date of the Sochi Paraolympics? Both are on March 16, correct?

Closing Olympics and Paraolympics is always on sundays, and elections and referendums usually.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I just read this and wow the EU makes no sense they just almost guaranteed there going to do nothing by trying to make sure everyone is happy.And Putin was worried about Ukraine joining the EU i guess he didnt realize how stupid they can be.

in.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Well it looks like Russia is going to make demands to end the situation but i dont think anyone s going to like it.

www.newindianexpress.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

dragonridr
Well it looks like Russia is going to make demands to end the situation but i dont think anyone s going to like it.

www.newindianexpress.com...

So let me get this straight this scum bag Putin is going to make deals for land he stole.......Priceless. Are the Russian people really this stupid.......Oh wait they probably are just look how propaganda and fear let the American PTB invade countries without people getting pissed.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea has adopted an independence declaration from Ukraine which is necessary for holding a March 16 referendum.

"This document is very important both for referendum and further Crimea's joining Russia," an employee of the Crimean parliament’s press service told RIA-Novosti.

The document was adopted during an extraordinary session of parliament.

According to the member of press service, 78 of 100 members of the parliament voted in favor of the declaration.

“After the referendum, Crimea as a sovereign independent state will ask Russian authorities to join the Russian Federation,” he added.
rt.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

Wow, well while I fully expect any action taken by the Crimean Parliment to be voted on in favor of joining Russia, what I found most interesting is that there were actually 22 members who voted against it. I would love to know what they are currently thinking on this but I'm sure we'll never know.

Thanks for posting an update, MessageforAll. Here in the US, MSM reporting on this seems to have all but vanished.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Crimea parliament declares independence from Ukraine ahead of referendum

“We, the members of the parliament of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the Sevastopol City Council, with regard to the charter of the United Nations and a whole range of other international documents and taking into consideration the confirmation of the status of Kosovo by the United Nations International Court of Justice on July, 22, 2010, which says that unilateral declaration of independence by a part of the country doesn’t violate any international norms, make this decision,” says the text of the declaration, which was published by the Crimean media.

RT
edit on 11-3-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Its not just the US mate, the MSM has moved on so don't expect anymore news,

From interfax :
15:10
Putin conducts staff reshuffle in Russian defense, security agencies
15:08
Putin conducts staff reshuffle in Russian defense, security agencies
15:01
Crimean Parliament speaker puts cost of March 16 referendum at $1.7 Mln

I find this Re-shuffle worrisome, but that's just me.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

This article on the VoiceofRussia.com website outlines some of the changes but does not give reasons. Looks like there are alot of people in the Federal Penitentiary Service getting sacked along with others.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Pravda has live updates but you will have to use the translation feature on your browser.
www.pravda.com.ua...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

#BREAKING All flights to Crimea airport suspended except from Moscow @AFP

twitter.com...

This has been the latest thing that has been trending on Twitter and alternative news sources. They are saying that flights have been turned back from Kiev and Istanbul, but flights from Moscow are allowed in.

Speculations says that international press and observers were on those flights that were turned back or cancelled.

The blockade of the press is in full swing.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Who's got 'control' of the airport? If pro-russians/Crimeans, then that would make very worrying sense. If the temporary/interim gov....no sense at all.

rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

angelchemuel
reply to post by majesticgent

Who's got 'control' of the airport? If pro-russians/Crimeans, then that would make very worrying sense. If the temporary/interim gov....no sense at all.

rainbows
Jane

Easy enough to answer, really:

Russian forces have taken control of strategic points in Crimea, including Belbek military airport and the main civilian airport in Simferopol, without bloodshed following the overthrow of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich on 21 February after a three-month revolt against his rule.
RTE.ie

Here is a list of airports in Crimea. Notice the only one listed as having 'airline service' is the airport in Simferopol, where pro-Russian forces are reported as having control of. Here is a list of current arrivals. How reliable this is, who knows......
edit on 11-3-2014 by MyMindIsMyOwn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
16:32
Swiss president could visit Russia in 2014 - ambassador
16:28
Klitschko suggests creating special task force involving former Berkut troops

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The translation page is pretty bad but to me it looks like pro-Russian forces control the airstrip and main gate at the airport.
The Ukraine troops are barricaded in the control tower.

The pro-Russian troops objective is to take the airport if the Ukraine military advance which rumors suggest.

www.pravda.com.ua...

First the rumor: I have heard from several people that supposedly Ukraine has sent two brigades of its best troops to the SE border opposite Russia's Glukhov province, and that the Russians are now pushing force to their side of the line. Absolutely no media reports, however, past news said the two brigades were in motion. So that might be something to watch.

en.pravda.com.ua...

top topics

<< 167  168  169    171  172  173 >>

join