It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's a hipster?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Hipsters. These pics alone should explain what/who they are.
If you see one, it means your neighborhood will soon be too expensive to live in, filled with "trendy" coffee joints and thrift shops.

I can't wait for this trend to disappear.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

This era's version of the yuppie. Basically, a hipster is a member of that group which general society mocks. Every generation has that group.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeone718

I don't think those are hipsters. Those are club-goers. Hipsters don't listen to EDM. Lol. They only listen to "artsy-fartsy" EDM. And it's technically not EDM because it's not danceable.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
A hipster is someone who dresses like a lumberjack but has never been in the woods.

A hipster prefers 1920's technology to today's, not because it works better, but because he thinks it makes him unique.

A hipster follows trends that are no longer trendy until they become trendy.

A hipster prides himself on his manly beard, yet spends an unfortunate amount of time grooming it.

Hipsters have a whole drawer dedicated to white v-neck t-shirts that are just low enough to bare his shaved chest and chest tattoos.

Hipsters enjoy the haircuts once sported by the Hitler youth.

Hipsters pretend they are against the grain at the exact time they go with it.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

What I find funny about your post, and this thread, is that I realize that hipsterism is so post-modern. And going back to the irony of it all, is that they don't realize that post-modernism itself is going out of style. It's just so obvious that, as individuals, they're just cogs in the machine.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

olaru12

rangerdanger

olaru12
I see the term "hipster" bandied about a lot on social media sites, but honestly I don't even know what a hipster is in today world.
What are hipster attitudes, music, fashion, etc. Are their sub genres in hipsterdom and who are some famous hipsters.

Here allow me to google that for you...

Hipster - Urban Dictionary

I could give a **** what urbandictionary.com says. I wanted personal opinions. But thanks; you sound like a hipster....

edit on 28-2-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

haha

If you don't know what a hipster is at this point, you're probably old.
Go back to those email chains on your CompuServe account, and relax. It's not my fault you haven't heard of google or urban dictionary.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Isnt a Hipster a Rap version of a Hippy.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
sounds like a up-market tramp with money to me

i always thought hipster was a ladie's jeans god i am old

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

For those who don't trust urban dictionary:

Hipster -- modern

Hipster -- in the past

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

I don't think those are hipsters. Those are club-goers. Hipsters don't listen to EDM. Lol. They only listen to "artsy-fartsy" EDM. And it's technically not EDM because it's not danceable.

Yeah… that's not an EDM party… Compare:

to

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Doesn't house music qualify as EDM? Lol. That's probably what they're listening to.

link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

bwhahahaa compuserve!?!?!
hahah good stuff

I dare say you compuServed him? hahah

Its fairly easy to spot a hipster, they do time travel.
edit on 28-2-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

link   

rangerdanger

olaru12

rangerdanger

olaru12
I see the term "hipster" bandied about a lot on social media sites, but honestly I don't even know what a hipster is in today world.
What are hipster attitudes, music, fashion, etc. Are their sub genres in hipsterdom and who are some famous hipsters.

Here allow me to google that for you...

Hipster - Urban Dictionary

I could give a **** what urbandictionary.com says. I wanted personal opinions. But thanks; you sound like a hipster....

haha

If you don't know what a hipster is at this point, you're probably old.
Go back to those email chains on your CompuServe account, and relax. It's not my fault you haven't heard of google or urban dictionary.

Why you young whipper snapper I aughta....

I'm not interested in what some urban dictionary has to say....I want YOUR feedback and opinion on current trends, subcultures, attitudes and lifestyles. Yes I am old but, not stupid and unaware of technology. Me thinks perhaps it's you that needs to relax....why the anger?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

Whatever you do don't get with these tramps...

...unless you're into that.

Be careful out there...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hipsters are so anti-establishment and anti-mainstream that major razor companies are now, oh-so-ironically, having sales issues because of the new facial hair fads. In other words, they have embraced the horror and become that which they claim to mock and despise ... mainstream.

edit on 28-2-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Here allow me to google that for you... Hipster - Urban Dictionary

Some of these were very funny.

I knew what a hipster was before it was popular...

Sadly, I WAS a hipster before it was popular, but now I'm not cool enough to be so edgy.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Those be club kids. I was briefly a club kid in another life a long time ago when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth. You can spot a club kid by the typically black urbanized robotic drone look with lots of peculiar touches here and there to show just how eccentric and avant garde they are. They like playing dress up and are frequently creatures of the night, staying up til the wee hours of the morning before retiring back to their caves like the little vampires they wish they were. They're also not just found at night clubs but, at least in my day, it was pretty popular to go to the after hours club after the after hours ended at the official club where a random DJ would pop up in somebody's vacant building for an impromptu extension of the festivities til dawn. Which looks like what is going on in those pictures.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I used to go to raves and clubs back in the day. Now I just hear my music on Pandora. I mostly only hear electronic music.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Excellent descriptions.

Think Black Keys.

Or, according to Spike Lee, any white people who move to Brooklyn and overpay for brownstones...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

I like that Spike Lee quote. That's funny.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join