It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scifi Channel Press Release. UFO Hunters Show!! Yes!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't understand why people are so down on the idea......seems to me any mainstream exposure UFOs get is good.If it is like Ghost Hunters then that tells me they will take the issue seriously,and take a scientific approach.Instead of scrambling to prove their theories and experiences they will more than likely set out to debunk them,which to me means much more fact will come out of it.

I say this is a great thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwatcher
Unfortunally I don't think this show will last very long. Spotting ufo's is not something that happens often at least for me and I am a amature astronomer who spends alot of time out on clear nights. Only thing I have ever seen is sattelites and shooting stars. Unless these people know something I don't i/e hot spots I say good luck... But I will not get my hopes up that something extrodinary will come from this show.

[edit on 19-7-2007 by Starwatcher]

You are spot on. Repeatable UFOs are invariably hoaxes or misinterpretations. The show will be a bunch of guys running around earnestly failing to see anything - or they will see a bunch of stuff that is readily debunked.

I think haunted houses are bunk, but at least with a haunted house, you know where to go to find your phenomenon.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocGonzo
I don't understand why people are so down on the idea......seems to me any mainstream exposure UFOs get is good.

Got a little ahead of myself there...

Any way. Not down on the idea so much as a little concerned that the whole thing will be aimed at the 10 second attention span, and not at the people who might genuinely be interested in the topic...

[edit on 20-7-2007 by seagull]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
After years of disappointment, it's not difficult to be immediately doubtful of the value of any program of this kind.

The subject of UFOs is subtle, and requires a kind of meta-analysis to gain any appreciation for the value of it. There are some individual cases that are interesting, but there has NEVER BEEN A SINGLE, INDIVIDUAL CASE that contains the right combination of detail and objective evidence to prove any particular hypothesis. That's why it's still a big mystery!

The thing that gives it it's interest is the sheer number of sightings and curious happenings that have been going on for so long. And you really can't make a good TV show out of that because there's no drama. It's just a lot of statistics.

So what TV has to do is cobble together some shaky witness stories, interview a few "experts" in front of a background of stars, present some grainy photos or lousy videos of twinkly lights in the sky, and back it up with some spooky music (listen for an "X-Files" theme rip-off), and try to squeeze something worth watching out of it. All of this on a typical Sci-Fi channel budget that is the equivalent of a cookie jar full of Canadian pennies.

As for it being "good for UFO study," I have my doubts. The field is already flooded with so much noise that it's basically impossible to detect any signal, and a show like this isn't going to increase the quality of study, just the quantity of stuff, good and bad. I don't know if that's really helping.

So pardon us for being a bit cynical about this. The proof will be in the program, and if it turns out to be great, you can come back on here and give us a big "I told you so." If it really is great, we'll be happy to admit we were wrong.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus
The thing that gives it it's interest is the sheer number of sightings and curious happenings that have been going on for so long. And you really can't make a good TV show out of that because there's no drama. It's just a lot of statistics.

That's what I think too, and as I've been reading this thread, I've been trying to visualize what shape the program will take. Hopefully they've devised the right angle to approach this and it will be really interesting. If it winds up being investigations of previous sightings, it'll be a real snore for me and others who are already versed in the subject.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm not expecting anything grand to come of it but I'll watch for what it is intended for - entertainment. Unless its just blatantly stupid, then I'll not be consuming any of it.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well, since there are a lot more ghosts and haunted places out there than there are "ufo" hotspots, this show will be mostly about interviews, and picture/vids that have been around for 50+ years.

I don't see how you could justify even the budget for a film crew to go out and watch nothing for hours on end.

Something tells me there is a ploy in the works on this one, and only time will tell the real motivation behind the show. Of course, in reality, it's really just money, because us suckers will tune into ANYTHING UFO related!

lol!

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocGonzo
I don't understand why people are so down on the idea......seems to me any mainstream exposure UFOs get is good.
I say this is a great thing.

UFOs are not on my list of things that need more mainstream exposure. There has been a huge amount of this, and very little of was good.

Rational, unbiased scientific investigation of UFOs? Sure.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
They should go to places like Mexico and take the best equipment and get great video on UFOs and Flying humanoids. Separate the balloons from the real ET Vehicles.

I hope they catch something good on film. Anyway, if the show does not stand up to the hype, never fear. I got something for the Feds ars. They are so gonna get it! Just don't ask me what it is. It's a surprise!

UFO disclosure really is around the corner. The people just don't know it yet. But they will!

The Coward

[edit on 20-7-2007 by The Coward]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Excellent , I love TAPS, plus I have many good friend that are aliens, plus I see UFO's frequently.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The real question is whether the emphasis will be on investigation, or a kind of reality-tv quasi-investigation that promotes suspension of disbelief in the audience.

Gee. I wonder which one an entertainment fantasy channel will pick....

Are they going to hire 100 mercenaries to storm desert bases and inspect bunkers? Are they going to spend 4 months in camouflage hidden in the desert? Are they going to jump in the Scooby Doo van whenever a spy satellite crashes through the atmosphere and lands in a forest? I doubt it.

They are going to do post-op analysis on transient phenomena for the spooky-effect.

I'm pessimistic.

[edit on 20-7-2007 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Coward
UFO disclosure really is around the corner. The people just don't know it yet. But they will!

I would hope that if such a thing happens, it's revealed that the aliens are far away and not here in our faces, abducting people and killing cattle in the Southwest. Even if the government has to lie about it. I could accept that lie. After thinking about it a while, I can't imagine any kind of plus side to positive verification of an active and not necessarily friendly alien presence on Earth. It would be mind-blowingly cool for about two seconds, then it would quickly degenerate into extremely bad news and horror.

posted on Jul, 20 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Coward
Anyway, if the show does not stand up to the hype, never fear. I got something for the Feds ars. They are so gonna get it! Just don't ask me what it is. It's a surprise!

[edit on 20-7-2007 by The Coward]

Ok, statements like this always make me wonder....

If you have something show it! This sounds a little to "Greer-ish" to me.

How much you going to sell this for? $800, and we can look at bugs with night vision cameras

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by uv777bk

Finally, an excuse for me to start watching TV again

yea totally!!!!

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
YEY!!!I CANT WAIT!!!

That will be sweet. I will definatly watch that......Maybe they will show my cousin in his sport model.

Cool stuff!

posted on Jul, 21 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Good news
Even if a flop maybe we can at least see some UFO footage thats NOT been posted on youtube by some kid looking for attention. Maybe show something more recently unexplained caught on film and not something CGI. If they talk about NASA footage that would be great!

The show "Sightings" was one of my favorites. I was so bummed when that show was cancelled. I think that was the last time any weekly show did any kind of UFO reporting.

As long as they don't show a bunch of UFO Hunters walking around in the dark with green night vision cameras shining in investigators faces and trying to make any sound heard an Alien noise *coughGhostHuntersStyleSucks* then I'll watch it

Bzzzzzz

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I just watched History Channel's UFO Hunters. Man oh man IT WAS A JOKE. Soooo bad! It represented everything everyone has come to associate with UFO stories... cheezy graphics, lame hosts, flashy editing to make it "feel hip", totally circumstantial evidence. The first half of the episode was about Alien debris (literally alien poo-poo) dropping on an unsuspecting ship (a boat) that killed a dog that was onboard some 40 years ago. I couldn't make something like that up! Why is this worthy?!??!?! What a shame, I was looking forward to this series too. I taped Sci-Fi's version and just watched that too. Not much better, but it was a little bit. Brother. Why do these networks churn out the same gimmicky stuff when they SHOULD know that the very audience they're attempting to appeal to will be turned off. I don't think they think much of us when they do this. They should take a cue from TRUE documentaries like OUT OF THE BLUE and CAPTURING THE LIGHT that give credence to this phenomenon. My grade, F, for History Channel's UFO Hunters and a C- for Sci-Fi's.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by spooker

I also watched the History Channels version of it and I completely agree, it SUCKED.
I think that they intentionally turned it into a joke for propaganda purposes.
Seriously, 40 year old UFO "slag" dropping into the Puget Sound and they actually dived for it, after 40 YEARS.
Do you realize what the tides are like in the Puget Sound. My Ship tied up right on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, just a few miles up from the Sound and I would go to the bar walking DOWN the gang plank and come back to the ship walking 10 feet UP the gang plank.
The tidal activity is awesome there and any "slag" that pooped from a UFO 40 years ago wouldve been out in the Pacific Ocean by now

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'd comment in this thread too, but I'm tired of chasing threads around on these shows. This one is only about the one show. One about both shows was closed, the other moved to TV.

The mods need to learn to MERGE threads.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Basket

We don't merge threads our data base is way too big for that. We do have one thread (this one) for the Sci Fi show and one thread for the History Channel show here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join